The Missal Chants: The Real Deal!
  • BenBen
    I know there are some doubters of the effectiveness of the Missal chants out there, but I can attest first hand that they really are amazingly versatile and easy to pick up. For the octave, I've been singing the missal chants along with my sep-like Easter Octave propers (more to come... stay tuned).

To be perfectly honest, when the new pastor arrived a few months ago, they didn't know (or at least seem to know) a lick of chant. But yet when he intoned the english gloria on Monday morning, we whipped out the hymnals, and by the end of the gloria, we didn't sound half bad. Today, it was even better. I can't wait for tomorrow. Would this have been possible with a latin chant gloria, even gloria XV? I don't think so. Even the hurdles of their preconceived notions would probably have been too much.

Are they the ideal? Certainly not, and I think most of us recognize that. But like SEP, they are an invaluable bridge to help us get to that ideal. Thus endeth my rant.
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I agree. They are available, readable and doable. Grace acts on nature. Nature must be seasoned, as one seasons the palate for more refined fare. I'm using the SEP every Sunday with my H.S./Middle School girls schola. Now they recognize the modes, read neumes and are starting to have an appetite for the propers. I joineth your rant.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I am an enthusiastic supporter of the missal chants. I don't view them as any half-way step to some "ideal," nor do I view them as something inferior. They are far better than most of what I had to work with before the new missal was published.

However, I clearly state that I am working toward the full implementation of a serious, sacred, English liturgy. Although I use a fair amount of Latin - actually, I use it more than any other Catholic church in the area - I leave the exclusive use of Latin to the EF folks. They are quite welcome to it!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen a1437053