Responsorial Psalms for extended Pentecost Vigil
  • Hello to all,
    Does anyone have or know where to find musical settings for the four Responsorial Psalms for the extended Pentecost Vigil? If I can't find anything soon I will need to begin composing the responses myself.

For easy reference, they are:
    -Ps 33: 10-15
    -Dan 3: 52-56
    -Ps 107: 2-9
    -Ps 104: 1-2a, 24, 35c, 27-28, 29bc-30
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    From http://www.hbgdiocese.org/Admin/Uploads/Liturgy, Worship & Prayer/Documents/Liturgical Music/Extended Vigil of Pentecost.pdf.

Musicians and cantors may find the first three responsorial psalms at the following places in the Lectionary:
    · Psalm 33:10-15 – volume II, no. 339,
    · Daniel 3:52-56 – volume I, no. 164, and
    · Psalm 107:2-9 – volume III, no. 423.
    The fourth psalm [Ps 104] is found immediately after the fourth reading [Joel 3:1-5] in volume I, no. 62.

So, the second is from Trinity Sunday, and the fourth is from Pentecost, but the others are from weekdays, so you may have a harder time finding a pre-existing setting.
  • benedictgal
    I wonder how this would be handled in a bilingual setting?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I wonder how this would be handled in a bilingual setting?

I imagine you could use whatever you've done for the Easter Vigil as a model...
  • benedictgal
    That kind of doesn't help because both parishes were not the best of examples. I would rather do two in English and two in Spanish, rather than have some sort of bilingual mish-mash.

Oddly enough, the Paluch disposable missallettes do not give the option of the extended Pentecost Vigil. I wonder if they didn't read the Roman Missal correctly.
  • I just finished adapting some existing Guimont psalms for use in the extended Pentecost Vigil. If anyone is interested I am happy to share.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I would rather do two in English and two in Spanish, rather than have some sort of bilingual mish-mash.

That sounds fine to me. If there's a printed worship aid where you can print translations of the language not being sung, that would be ideal. If there's no translation available, though, then I actually might prefer a tasteful mish-mash - perhaps using a psalmtone for the verses and doing some verses in English, some in Spanish, for each psalm. At least this way people who speak only one of the two languages at least get some of each Psalm, rather than miss out on one or two completely. But that's just my own opinion.

Of course, you could do them all in Latin, but that might annoy almost everybody. :)
  • benedictgal
    I guess I would rather type out the psalm in the language opposite to what will be used to proclaim them. It's better than having to endure the OCP stuff.