Return of the Roman Canon
  • At the Shrine, we get a wide variety of priests. I take it they use everyone available from the CUA faculty, the religious houses, staff at the Bishops Conference. But by far the largest, based on what i have picked up, are students at the Theological College.

What I have noticed--and it happened again today during Mass--was that a lot of them use the Roman Canon even for weekday Masses. As they represent a fairly broad range of young priests, I think we can chalk this up to another JPII effect.

Just an observation.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    Awesome, but not at all surprising.
  • Liam
    I am noticing its relative absence since the new translation began. The only users have been relatively progressive priests at Christmas/Epiphany and Easter. Otherwise, I've noticed a dramatic uptick in the use of EP2 on Sundays, with EP3 sprinkled in gradually, and a total absence of EP4 (though we've yet only had a few weeks of OT where it could be used on Sundays).
  • How blessed we are! In the Anglican Use we have only one canon: the Roman canon.

It occurs to me - how different the equation might be if all the canons were the same length as the Roman canon?
    Thanked by 3Gavin CHGiffen Ben
  • Ally
    I've noticed the same pattern as Liam. Actually I think its been almost exclusively EP2 here (3 once or twice, never the Roman Canon). It is too bad... the Roman Canon is BEAUTIFUL!

One of my most favourite parts:
    "In humble prayer we ask you, almighty God: command that these gifts be borne by the hands of your holy Angel to your altar on high in the sight of your divine majesty, so that all of us, who through this participation at the altar receive the most holy Body and Blood of your Son, may be filled with every grace and blessing.”
  • Here in South Dakota it's been very different. Our pastor uses the Roman Canon for nearly every Sunday Mass, and the EP3 for almost every weekday Mass. Rarely will he use EP2. Our associate also used the Reconciliation EP during some weekdays of Lent, which actually was quite nice with the new translation. I use to loathe it, as if it were saying, "Dear God, help us to be nice to people" etc...

My favorite part of the Canon:

"...we, your servants and your holy People, offer to your glorious majesty from the gifts that you have given us, this pure victim, this holy victim, this spotless victim, the holy Bread of eternal life and the Chalice of everlasting salvation."

(Now if we can the USCCB to revisit their capitalization norms. Shouldn't 'victim' be capitalized, especially if 'People' is?)
    Thanked by 2Ally CHGiffen
  • Mike R
    Many younger priests definitely prefer the Canon. I will say, though, that some of those I know who flat-out refused to use EPII in the old translation now use it. I've even heard the Eucharistic Prayer for Various Needs or whatever once by a solid young priest. No question that the new translation is altering the Eucharistic Prayer choices, but I think it's for the better across the board.
  • That sudden preference for EPII right now may have something to do with how much chanting they are required to do--it is a lot.

I thought at the National Shrine, when the current administration came in, they stopped using EP3 as the default and started with EP2, but that seemed to be because of the rector's well known obsession with keeping things on time. EP3 has slowly reappeared, and you rarely hear EP2 on Sunday. But for the younger priests at seminary-and soon out in the world--the Roman Canon seems to be the preferred prayer. That group is probably as good an indication as any, given the breadth of the geographic orgins,a nd so I think is a harbinger of long range, very good development.

Just an observation.

Kenneth
  • Our pastor uses the Roman Canon exclusively and a lot of people have complained about its length. I, for one, think it's beautiful.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Roman Canon is exquisite, perfect. Sadly, it is not used enough, and, all too frequently in my experience, when it is used, it is often recited in a thoroughly dull, lifeless manner, ill-befitting its nobility.