Sad Holy Thursday Experience
  • benedictgal
    This year, I elected to help out at my dad's parish for Holy Thursday. In hindsight, I should have just stayed out of the whole thing, as it turned out rather disastrous. As my late, former employer used to say, "Prior planning prevents poor performance."

The Mass was to be bilingual, with the Introit, Gospel Acclamation, Mass parts, offertory and Communion antiphon sung/chanted in English, while the Psalm and the rest of the pieces in Spanish. Only the Pange Lingua would be in Latin.

There was a huge disconnect between the English and the Spanish. Whereas, we had chant and the organ, the Spanish choir had a guitar and a tambourine. The psalm was chanted using the same note all throughout, verse and response. We had the psalm prepared in English, but, the pastor would not allow the change.

There was also a problem with the Mass setting. I had emailed the organist that I would be using ICEL, since I had taught this setting to the faithful and they knew it. He was bent on using the revamped OCP Heritage Mass (not a particularly good setting). According to the email, we were set to use ICEL. As I started to chant the Sanctus, he railroaded the OCP setting and it was just horrible. He did the same thing to me for the Memorial Acclamation. Mind you, I do not know the OCP setting.

During the Mandatum (which was poorly organized), the Spanish choir started singing and strumming, along with the tambourine. The music was not anywhere to be found in the missallete, so the faithful could not join in even if they wanted to do so. When it came time for the offertory, we chanted "Where Charity and Love Prevail" and folks managed to sing, even though I have asked the organist repeatedly to bring the key down as my vocal range is not as high as his. I sounded like I was screeching, rather than singing.

We were supposed to have had two Communion hymns, one in English and one in Spanish. After I chanted the antiphon, the Spanish choir came in and it was a repeat of the guitars and tambourines. The music was more along the lines of Jesus and me than sacred. They went through the entire communion procession and did not give us a chance to sing. The only thing that turned out okay was the Pange Lingua.

Music aside, there were problems with the liturgy. According to the rubrics, the Tabernacle was supposed to have been empty, but, it was not. The lector was not at all prepared and seemed to have been picked at the last minute. The same held true for those having their feet washed. The celebrant seemed apprehensive when I asked him if he could give us Communion after Mass since we did not get to receive. The choir thanked me because they were worried, given that, of all days, they should be able to receive that evening.

After Mass, I had a talk with the organist. I reminded him about the email and told him that I did not appreciate being thrown under the bus. He said that he really wanted to sing the OCP stuff, but, I told him that he should have had the courtesy to tell me that he wanted to do his own thing. I told him that this does not show respect for the sacredness of the liturgy. I also added that we should have had rehearsals with the Spanish choir and maybe helped them choose music that was more fitting for the Mass, instead of the music they normally use at the charismatic services. The Mass certainly did not deserve what we were giving it.

As I left the church, I ran into one of the Spanish choir members. She could tell that I was upset. I told her that this was not what I had expected. She asked me why and I explained to her that the Triduum demanded sacred music. She asked me if I thought that what they were singing was sacred. I told her that I did not want to hurt her feelings, but, in a word, no. I explained to her about why the Church does what she does regarding music and she told me that no one had ever told them that. I told her that it was not necessarily their fault. She agreed that they had never been given proper direction.

The problem, as I see it, is that the particular movement that she belongs to really does not understand the significance of music in the Mass. They seem to be doing their own thing. When I participated in the English-version of that retreat about six years ago, I was very disappointed with the music because, while it may have been religious, it was not liturgical. During the retreat feedback section, I made that point perfectly clear to the organizers.

The choir member thanked me for the input and, while I did not return for Good Friday, I learned that the tambourine was absent from the music.

When I left the church that night, I began my seven-church pilgrimage. I was still upset. When I got to church number 3, I sat down and had a long talk with our diocesan director of worship. He helped calm me down quite a bit. We both agreed that more formation was needed, not only for the choirs, but, for the clergy as well. What happened at my dad's parish is a symptom of a bigger problem affecting our diocese.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    A great Theologian used to say (often!), "The life of a Church musician is a life of sacrifice."
  • CharlesW
    No good deed goes unpunished, and this is another example. We live and learn, as is often said. It sounds like no one was in charge, and the result was chaos.

I refuse to do bilingual services. They do a great job of offending nearly everyone.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • I guess I don't understand. The parish already had a choir and an organist, but you suddenly "volunteered yourself" to decide on your own what music would be sung, and sent an email outlining your demands (which apparently nobody agreed to)? And even after the pastor expressly vetoed your choice of the psalm, you thought it would be a good idea to impose your choices for the ordinary? Which you hadn't rehearsed with the (paid, presumably) organist, and he hadn't okayed? This is truly shocking.

The issue of the quality of the music is, frankly, completely secondary in this case to the fact that you cannot just walk into a parish that is not your own, stroll up to microphone, call yourself a volunteer, ignore the pastor and organist, and think you can dictate the repertoire -- which you then attempt to sing with no rehearsal. I wonder if somewhere in the Bizarro universe there is somebody carping on a message board that he found the music at his dad's FSSP parish not "welcoming, inclusive, and pastoral" enough, so one day he sent them and email to say he was going to take over, and then showed up with his guitar and tried to lead some folk hymns -- and was then confused and hurt when everything utterly, utterly bombed.
  • benedictgal
    Mark, I sing at the Sunday morning Mass and have filled in at the Saturday evening Mass when the organist is not there. I sing acapella at the Sunday morning Mass. Furthermore, I taught the faithful the ICEL chants at both Masses and they know them fairly well. Even the organist knows the ICEL chants, as we did them for the Ash Wednesday Mass.

Had you read my previous posts and threads, you would have seen that I am not merely walking into a situation. I have been involved in the music there for nearly a year. Yours is a mischaracterization of what happened.
  • Liam
    The organist was letting you know, loud and clear, that he is staff, and you are not. It was a crude form of boundary setting of the kind that is common when parish priests refuse to midwife communications properly (priests being habituated to making decisions (the "I am the Decider" mentality) and simply having them deferred to is the recipe for priests behaving this way; it pretends towards leadership but is very much lacking in leadership). When the children are having problems with Mommy and Daddy in a dysfunctional family, the children will tend to aim their fire at each other rather than Mommy and Daddy....
  • benedictgal
    The organist is not on staff. None of us is. In fact, the organist was brought on later than I was. He replaced the guitarist. The organist hadn't shown up in five weeks due to illness and work, so I pitched in to help during his absence.
  • Ted
    I am sorry you had to go through all this, especially on a night that is meant to celebrate the call to charity that Christ calls us and that He Himself followed in sacrificial love for us.
    If I may comment, a situation like yours requires lots of patience to correct. It takes lots of time to change mentalities, and the process can be very slow, even take years. But the most important thing is to get the pastor to support you. He must be the first one to convince that things need to be changed, and often this is where the problem originates. Pastors will not get involved either out of ignorance or of a desire maintain the safety of the status quo. If he does decide that changes are needed, these must be done very slowly so as to ruffle the fewest feathers. If he does not, then the task of slow change is still possible on the ground level but then you become vulnerable to the complainers who may seek to get the pastor on their side. Sadly, this is the case in many churches.
  • benedictgal
    It's funny, Ted, but, the English crowd seems happy with what I've been doing. The Spanish group, however, does not seem to have any liturgical formation whatsoever.
  • PMulholland
    We learn from these mistakes and it is often a mistake to get involved and try to "do" the liturgy according to the books and chant where the prevailing attitude is mostly contrary and you are not mandated by the Pastor to work for the Parish where there is a real program for reform.
    Nevertheless, it is shocking that some on this forum would wind up their flamethrowers on Easter Monday and pick a fight...
    Benedictgal, yours was a sad experience and one that you have clearly learned from. It goes to show how far out most of the parishes of the world are. They are disconnected from the Roman Rite and choose to create their own. This has been going on for over 40 years and is not going to end any time soon.
    But please, to our fellow forum members: Please let charity prevail, leave your shallowness behind. Let bitterness end, everyone has an opinion, but useless flaming of others on this forum at any time should be beneath us let alone on Easter Monday. I navigated to this forum to read about some others Triduum experiences not hear people get roasted for describing their experience. Totally shameful.

Peter.

P.S. Happy Easter to All!!!!!!!!
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    Peter: right on!
  • I want to specify that I comment upon the thread's course as if wearing a Level Four contamination suit at the CDC.
    First off, quoting the infamous from "Cool Hand Luke,"- "What we have here is failure to communicate." Amen. On so many levels it's not worthy to comprehend.
    PM, MT's observations should not be dismissed out of hand as mere flaming of the well-intentioned and reasonably offered contributions to the parish at which her father serves as deacon. As she rightly mentioned, she has history there and, in her initial post clearly did express regret for how it all went down. But that doesn't mitigate or necessarily portend any happier outcome next spring unless someone, other than a "Mommy or Daddy" figure imposing arbitrary authority, expresses some growth, some circumspection and maturation in the interim.
    I'm hoping that BG attends SLC Colloquium in the worst way. And BG, with all my heart, I hope you study thoroughly with AOZ and all other CMAA practicioners such as Frogman, or Kathy P. or "Jenny" the M.D. or the great Donelson so that you can acquire the necessary basic tools by which you can then discern and evaluate any music's value off the WRITTEN PAGE, square/round notes, four/five line irrespective.
    Without those skills firmly in mind, your sensibilities won't be affirmed (have your back) when push comes to shove in the music ministry realm. And that ability will qualify and enable you articulate the Church's wisdom and legislation to your interlocutors at any moment's notice by your ability to chant, at will, anything that would demonstrate the inestimabile donum that you would advance as appropriate and appointed music that would stand in stark and noble contrast to the hodge podge others pull out of hats.
    That has to be part of this discussion for progress to occur.
  • Here are two little poems in, "A Guest at Cambridge" about Sir Georgp Guest that I have always found to lighten my spirits in troubling church music circumstances. I hope it too lightens your heart as well.

"The Choirmaster's Poem"
    (anon. 20th century)

The Choirmaster stood at the pearly gates
    His face was worn and old,
    He stood before the man of fate
    For admission to the fold.
    "What have you done," St. Peter said
    "To gain admission here?"
    "I've been a Choirmaster, sir," he said
    "For many and many a year."
    The pearly gates flew open wide
    Saint Peter touched the bell.
    "Come in," he said, "and choose your harp
    You've had your share of hell."

"Forth to High Heaven Let Your Praises Ring"
    (anon. from the 15th century)

"Forth to high heaven let your praises ring
    But yet with caution - listen while you sing,
    Let there be in you unity and peace,
    Begin together, and together cease.
    No word or note should ever be begun
    Before the former one is fitly done.
    Be careful not to cut or syncopate,
    Each syllable must have its proper weight.
    And if you keep enunciation good
    The words are rightly heard and understood.
    When to the Lord you will your voices raise
    These simple maxims shall perfect your praise:
    Lift up your hearts to God in love and fear,
    Lift up your voices resonant and clear
    Lift up your minds by thinking what you say,
    Not noise, but prayerful music be your way.
    The cry that to the ear of God doth dart
    Is cry, not of the throat, but of the heart.?"

• GavinGavin
    What is "sad" is the total lack of leadership in the situation described above. This paradigm of paying whomever $25 to show up and do whatever they want musically is abusive to the liturgy. It leads to misunderstandings and scandal like this. The parish needs to hire, appoint, whatever, someone who will set the musical agenda, with responsibility to the priest. Anything less is a smack in the face to everyone who attends the liturgy.

That and cantors need to stop "leading" the hymns. But that's a fight for another day. Fix those two things, and Catholic music will stop being a joke.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In times past, there were also scandals:

Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • JennyJenny
    I suspect we all have tales of woe to tell and there is both a catharsis and a consolation in the telling. Perhaps the more important thing though, is what we learn from any given unfortunate situation. There are many things that we cannot change (or avoid) but there is almost always something that we ourselves could do better.

Benedictgal- I sympathize with your position, having been in similar ones. The task of implementing what we know to be good, true, and beautiful can be very daunting. Take small steps and try not to be discouraged when others push back. Most importantly, as Charles said, keep pressing forward in your own knowledge of music and liturgy. It will become useful in the most surprising moments! Hope you can make it to the Colloquium!
  • Sad indeed. Lots of miscommunication, and the pastor does need to lead more effectively.

Were I to be asked to work with that particular organist again, I would look into how I could train the singers to chant unaccompanied. What he did in disregarding the agreed upon lineup is totally unprofessional. He put his own taste first even though it was a recipe for a trainwreck during the sacred liturgy.

Sometimes a big part of the problem is the ego of us musicians. Sorry to say it, but thorough musical training and solid liturgical formation, while crucial, are not enough to submerge ego. Practicing our faith, including self-denial and humility, is really important in battling 'artist's ego'.
  • Our parish is in a similar situation. Saturday night's Mass is lead by a group that is one great, big extended Philipino family. Guitars, tambourines, full drum kit, and the famous Ukelele. (Thus the name "Ukelele Fury".) I conduct/direct/song-lead the Sunday Mass with Greg on piano and guitar. (Our organ broke.)

When I first got thrown into this position, one of the first things I did was suggest a wine and cheese night for the entire music ministry to get together. After getting rosy-cheeked enough, we pulled out books, and instruments, and we learned from each other. That went a long way to paving a very smooth road.

Now, mumble-mumble years later, the new missal comes along and I knew it would be extremely challenging for the Sat. night group. But you know what? Ruby (the Philipino matriarch) attended each and every rehearsal we had to try to learn this new music. She then took what she learned, and attempted to teach it to her family. They did not learn it perfectly (none of them read music) but they are trying, and that's what counts. Now, for the first time in the history of our parish, the mass settings on both days are actually the same. (Just maybe sung in a different, er, style.)

Patience. Tolerance. Baby steps.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen ryand Claire H
  • Kathy
    Not long ago I knocked on a priest friend's door, someone unattached to a parish but in a religious community, a priest who had known me for years. I started whining about how much you have to compromise in a parish. He laughed. I said, but there's a right way and a wrong way. He laughed some more. We went on like that for a few minutes and then I said, ok, but in heaven we won't have to compromise, right? And he laughed and laughed.

Pondering that last bit, I suppose one of the funny things about it is that in heaven we will know, for sure, that our priorities have always been slightly (or exceedingly) wrong. The divine Liturgy Director will definitely be the one in charge. And we will definitely be the ones to compromise.
  • GavinGavin
    Tolerance.

It means everyone else should be tolerant of me. Because I'm right.

Right?
  • Rereading this thread, it is clear that some people scolded you, BG, based on their own false assumptions. Hopefully they will find the time to read your responses, apologize, and add some helpful insight based on actual events. It seems to me such assumptions add further injury to the problems we all face as sacred musicians, professional or amateur or everything in between.

I'm sorry for times I've done this to you or other forum members (I'm sure I have on other threads). Please keep going, and keep growing your musical and interpersonal skills like we all are. This is what charity and service demand.

Your Holy Thursday story is emblematic of so much that is askew in the liturgically confusing times in which we live. What a great reminder to pray for the Church...

And- I can't help but think that next Holy Thursday is bound to be better!!
  • fp
    Yes! Thank you for posting! We need success stories but sometimes it's encouraging to read about struggles. Your post is very realistic of what's going on in many parishes and probably many dioceses. Let's pray for the Church.
    FP
  • MACW, I truly hope my contributions didn't totally fall into the "scolding" category and I agree that BG's account is emblematic of a massive amount of "askewness" in all matters liturgical.
    Another emblematic reality that is so missing from the equation of problem/solution in our domain is the role of the master/apprentice relationship at each local level. What we provide in these forums is some salve for injuries and insults endured by isolated and unappreciated souls such as BG. But the reason I so emphasize her attending SLC, sadly so as I could thus not finally personally meet her, is that we have seen colleagues from California blossom in their own local ministries from the abundance of all things bright and beautiful that is COLLOQUIUM, yours truly included.
    But local mentoring and establishing proteges ought to be somehow institutionalized by diocesesan Liturgical Commissions and bishops, and staffed by directors who go through a "vetting" process that is in concert with veritable, unquestionable liturgical legislation and not subject to any nuanced, pre-digested association with a commercial interest, or under the auspices of any local "expert resource" who has inculcated their own "guild" that is purposefully slanted towards their own perspective only as regards praxis.
    I remember way back to NPM Detroit '81, there was a breakout session (by an octavo publisher) that posited two models of liturgy, one that was characterized the "pilgrim church" and the other "the Cathedral Church." Each had their requisite literatures being promoted, but I remember thinking the whole concept was invalid and antithetical to basic, simple principles of sacred, universal and beautiful, though we didn't think of those terms as a cliched back then. Fit and right worship is principled by the same factors if led by a solo cantor (a real cantor) or by a huge choir, organ and orchestra.
    Let humility temper all we do within that framework.
  • musings
    The good thing about being a liturgical musician is that we know that there will be no shortages of crosses and we know what they look and feel like, not that they are easy to embrace. In some ways, we bear the interior wounds of the Church and we encounter them all the time in our daily work.

My Hispanic blend group faced many challenges this year with illness, family emergencies, etc. They found out that they were going to join my group the Friday before Palm Sunday. Their leader told me that I was in charge and they would follow me.

I concur that there is not a lot of liturgical music formation for the Hispanic Community, nor is there a lot of 'serious' music available. In part, it seems to stem from the Cristeros Wars of the 1920s when the government did its level best to eradicate the Church. In many places the faith continued because the people themselves kept it in their own way. There are other factors as well.

Our pastor wanted a bi-lingual service, so I set the Psalm, the Glory to God, Ubi Caritas, and other pieces to squarenote music and intermingled Spanish and English and Latin. We chanted things together and there were the guitars and bass. What was lacking was any kind of competition between us over the music. There were plenty of things that didn't go according to the plan, but everyone was very gracious.

It has taken three years of working together for the Spanish group to admit to not reading music. They felt loved and respected by me because I set things in Spanish and we worked together to learn them. And I made certain that the music was in keys that the limited guitarists could use.

While it is true, that the august Liturgy is worthy of our best efforts and skills as musicians, and the texts and music are in line with the expectations of such Liturgy, I try to keep in mind that if I am experiencing conflict with anyone of my neighbors (in this case all those I am asked to work with) then I should leave my gift at the altar and seek to be reconciled, for then Jesus becomes present in our midst as well as Liturgically and Eucharistically. This is also an experience of Paradise when we die in order to love. This is not an easy task for me, but it has been very good at tempering me.

I think that things are most beautiful when we can truly live that reciprocal love of neighbor over the circumstances. I am not always successful in that. I am, however, thankful that I have the opportunity to begin again in an attempt to 'get it right."

Pax
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Claire H
    Musings, I would be thrilled to get my hands on any Spanish arrangements you have or have arranged (Ubi Caritas, etc) like those mentioned above...
  • Charles, I did not see scolding based on assumptions in your post. I found your ideas to be upbuilding. And ditto to the mentoring. It has helped me immensely. I encourage BG to go to Colloquium, though I regret I cannot meet her this year.
  • benedictgal
    I feel a lot better after taking some time to decompress. Thank you to all who responded with kind and encouraging words.

Although I have not been able to sit down with the pastor, I do believe that this needs to happen. As for the Spanish-language choir, I certainly do not blame them because, as one of them told me after that particular Mass, they have not been properly formed insofar as liturgical training is concerned. Unfortunately, this is par for the course in our diocese. When you have a "charismatic" group like "Amigos de Jesus" performing, if you will, for some of the diocesan Masses (and this group is not properly formed in liturgical practices, let alone sacred music), it seems to justify to the parish choirs that this sort of music is appropriate for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Unfortunately, because I started a new job, I won't be eligible for vacation time until six months from now (which would put me at around October). This means that I would not be able to make it to Colloquium. Were circumstances different, I probably would have sent in my paperwork this past week.

Again, I thank you for your kind words of support. Please keep me in prayer.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen

• Although I have not been able to sit down with the pastor, I do believe that this needs to happen.

Please let us know the outcome.