Suggestions for dealing with lateness in choir
  • I have a particular member of my choir who is ALWAYS late - okay, she's been on time ONCE in the 7 months I've been here. (My surprise caused me to remember it so clearly.) She averages between 15-20 min late for rehearsal, and about 35 min late for Sunday morning pre-Mass warmup. This means that she is missing the warmups that I do, as well as the teaching exercises I'm doing at the beginning of choir - some of which she really needs to do! That being said, she is just about the best musician in the choir, and is one of my two only altos - we really need her! Oddly, however, she is extremely lacking in self-esteem and is very paranoid about others dismissing her as worthless, which is one reason I've hesitated to speak to her about it

I have not tried anything yet beyond saying "I'm sorry, but So-and-So will sing the verses for this antiphon by herself, since you weren't able to be here to practice with her." I always start practice on time even though she isn't there. I'm a unconvinced that making the rest of the choir (particularly her alto friend) miserable due to her absence will be helpful in solving the problem.

Any suggestions?
  • canadashcanadash
    I think you need to speak with her one-on-one. She is not comprehending your cues which relate to late arrivals. Be honest. Let her know that she is a valuable asset, the best musician in the choir and will be better if she is on time. Ask her if there is anything you can do to help facilitate her punctuality. (Or you can lie and tell her that rehearsal times and mass times have changed and they begin twenty - forty minutes earlier now. Some people are just late. It's in their nature.)
    Thanked by 2Chris Allen ryand
  • Is this a professional choir, or volunteer?
  • Maureen
    Some people fix their lateness if they ride together with someone else.

Also, are there family issues?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'd definitely check to see if there are personal circumstances that make it tough to be on time - unusual work schedule? A 1-1 will really help. Also, some cultures have a different sense of "on time" than A-type Americans.

But always start on time out of respect for everyone else.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Kathy
  • marajoymarajoy
    I definitely agree with all the suggestions to address this issue 1-on-1 with the particular member. While I've never done this myself, if that doesn't improve the issue, then perhaps you might want to try instituting a policy where anyone who is later than a set time (like 10 minutes or even 5) will have to stay after everyone leaves and go through everything that the rest of the choir worked on up until the point they arrived. Make the policy clear and tell the entire choir in advance, have a clearly visible clock, of course be consistent.