Easter Vigil - Psalm after 7th reading
  • In our Novalis - Living Wth Christ missal (I'm in Canada), it says after the 7th reading, "When baptism is celebrated, sing Isaiah 12 (p.308)." What, AGAIN? We just sang it after the 5th reading! Could this be a typo? I don't remember ever doing this before.
  • I think it's a typo. The 7th psalm, if there is a baptism, should be Psalm 42: Like a deer longs...
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    It's not a typo. The Latin typical edition also has it:

Vel, quando celebratur Baptisma, Is 12 ut supra (post lectionem n. 5), vel etiam Ps 50, 12-13. 14-15. 18-19 cum R/ (12a): Cor mundum crea in me, Deus.

Remember that not all readings are obligatory. So, if baptism is celebrated, but the 5th reading wasn't used, you can sing Isaiah 12. Otherwise, you can sing Ps 51 (50): Create a clean in me, O Lord.
  • So, I could sing the verses from Psalm 50, with the response from Psalm 12? (I love Google Translate...) Our priest insists that we do all the readings, and all the psalms. He says the only time we can skip some is "in time of war" when it is necessary to keep the celebration short. (??????????????)

Thanks for your help guys!
  • Sorry, I meant Psalm 50 with the response from Is. 12.
  • But then I would have to fit the lyrics from Is. 12 into a new key and cantor style to fit Ps. 51 (50). Would anyone notice if we just did Ps. 51 (50) in it's entirety, and ignore Is. 12?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    So, I could sing the verses from Psalm 50, with the response from is 12?

No, it's either Ps. 51 with response "Create a clean heart in me, O Lord" (response taken from Ps. 51: 12) or Is. 12 with response "You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation" (response taken from Is. 12, 3)
  • Oh good. I am so relieved. Thanks!