Your favorite Spanish hymns
  • ryandryand
    I am beginning to do some work at Spanish masses, and have very little in my repertoire of Spanish hymns.

For those of you who have experience with this, what are some of your favorites?
  • Claire H
    I have a list, but probably won't have a min to get it to you until after Easter, if that's still helpful.
  • benedictgal
    Donde Hay Caridad y Amor
    Altissimo Senor
    O Cruz Fiel y Venerable
    Cantemos Al Amor De Los Amores
    Tu Reinaras
    Cien Ovejas
    Una Espiga
    Amemonos de Corazon
    Un Mandamiento Nuevo
    Todo Lo Que Tengo
  • Mark P.
    Adiós, Reina del cielo
    Mi Virgen Ranchera
    Pescador de Hombres
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • benedictgal
    With all due respect, Pescador de Hombres is perhaps the worst Spanish song I have ever heard. It is overused down here ad nauseum.
  • Mark P.
    It is said that Pescador de Hombres was Pope John Paul II's favorite song. This could be apocryphal. However, despite its apparent overuse, I think it's a very worthy composition that is akin to genuine folk music.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • benedictgal
    However, just because Blessed John Paul II liked it, that does not necessarily render it fit for the Mass. The piece focuses more on the self. Interestingly enough, this is the same Pontiff who called for the purification of liturgical music. I respect that this is your favorite song, but I cannot recommend it for liturgical use.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Mark P.
    Pescador de Hombres is not my favorite song. However, I know it engages Spanish-speaking congregations. Compared to a lot of the drivel that passes for liturgical music, this composition is musical and possesses noble simplicity.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it is sort of a "Jesus and me" song: OK for devotional use.
  • mantoniomantonio
    Some of my favorite songs were originally in Italian and have been translated to Spanish by Spanish-speaking fans:
    I.Passioni's El Señor es mi Eterno Pastor
    Marco Frisina's beautiful liturgical works for SATB: Heme aqui, Quien nos separará, Yo contigo iré, Madre Confianza Nuestra, Nuestra gloria es la Cruz, Oh Hostia Santa, etc.

Plus I like:
    C.E. Haugel's Como una cierva
    A. Taule's El Señor es mi luz
    A Mejia's Himno Cristológico and Cantico de Maria
    Alma de Cristo, by Joseph Gelineau, originally in French
    Alianza nueva, by M.P. de la Figuera and L. Deiss
    Véante mis ojos, poetry of Saint Teresa of Avila set to music by F. Pedrell
  • ryandryand
    Wow, can we please not fight about the tastes of such a great pope? Keep in mind his great support of sacred music (despite everyone basically ignoring him... but he wasn't the first, and surely not the last, to have that experience).

I don't know the song, but if it is, as chonak says, a "Jesus & me" type of song, then why wouldn't Blessed JPII love it?

And who says that he loved it for liturgical use?
    Maybe he loved it for personal devotion.

With all due respect, get over yourself, benedictgal.
  • ryandryand
    On a more thankful note:

Thank you to everyone posting these hymns (incl. benedictgal). I will surely enjoy going through each!
  • Marie
    Dios esta Aqui
    Entre Tus Manos
    Te Ofrecemos Padre Nuestro
    Senor Tu eres el Pan
    Te Presentamos
    Zamba del Grano de Trigo
    Quien es Ese?
    Juntos Como Hermanos
    Caminare
    Adios Reina del Cielo
    Santa Maria del Amen
    Jesus es mi Luz
    Senor Quien Puede Entrar?
    Alabare

Thanked by 1ryand
  • francis
    i am not spanish, so i am not much help since i don't have any favorite spanish songs per se