Citation for Gloria at Wedding Masses (new translation) ?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Where is the actual citation (that apparently changed with the new translation) that says the Gloria is to be done at Nuptial Masses in the OF?

I can't find it in the GIRM, so it must be in the "Rite of Marriage" book? (Which I don't have and isn't online.) Does anyone have document name, paragraph, and the actual quote, please?
  • JahazaJahaza
    It's actually in the Missal itself on the page for the propers (and rubrics) for the Nuptial Mass. I don't have an English version handy, but in the Latin edition, that's page 1023 headed "IN CELEBRATIONE MATRIMONII".

The rubric (between the entrance antiphon and the collect) says:

"Actus paenitentialis omittitur. Dicitur Gloria in excélsis."

• marajoymarajoy
    Thank you! Does anyone have the English translation of this part of the missal? I'd be very interested to know exactly how it translates "Actus paenitentialis." (Does it imply the *entire* penitential rite? Or just the confiteor or just the kyrie?)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    From The Roman Missal, section on Ritual Masses, part V, For the Celebration of Marriage, p. 1177:

A
    Entrance Antiphon Cf. Ps 20 (19): 3, 5
    May the Lord send you help from the holy place
    and give you support from Sion.
    May he grant you your hearts’ desire
    and fulfill every one of your designs (E.T. alleluia).
    The Penitential Act is omitted. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said.

For each of the other variants, the same rubric is given after the Entrance Antiphon.
  • Marajoy: My understanding is that the term "Penitential Act" embraces what we know as forms A, B, and C (the Confiteor, those versicle/responses that nobody uses, and the troped Kyrie "You were sent to heal the contrite ..."), but not the Kyrie proper. The rubric preceding the Kyrie provides, "The Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy) invocations follow, unless they have just occurred in a formula of the Penitential Act." That implies, I think clearly, that the Missal does not consider the Kyrie itself to be a part of the Penitential Act.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Marajoy: My understanding is that the term "Penitential Act" embraces what we know as forms A, B, and C (the Confiteor, those versicle/responses that nobody uses, and the troped Kyrie "You were sent to heal the contrite ..."), but not the Kyrie proper. The rubric preceding the Kyrie provides, "The Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy) invocations follow, unless they have just occurred in a formula of the Penitential Act." That implies, I think clearly, that the Missal does not consider the Kyrie itself to be a part of the Penitential Act.

I would be interested to hear other opinions on this, if at all possible.
  • Incidentally (I'm remembering what ClemensRomanus pointed out in this thread), the GIRM also separates these elements:

The Penitential Act

51. After this, the Priest calls upon the whole community to take part in the Penitential Act, which, after a brief pause for silence, it does by means of a formula of general confession. The rite concludes with the Priest’s absolution, which, however, lacks the efficacy of the Sacrament of Penance.

From time to time on Sundays, especially in Easter Time, instead of the customary Penitential Act, the blessing and sprinkling of water may take place as a reminder of Baptism.[55]

The Kyrie, Eleison

52. After the Penitential Act, the Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy), is always begun, unless it has already been part of the Penitential Act. Since it is a chant by which the faithful acclaim the Lord and implore his mercy, it is usually executed by everyone, that is to say, with the people and the choir or cantor taking part in it.

Each acclamation is usually pronounced twice, though it is not to be excluded that it be repeated several times, by reason of the character of the various languages, as well as of the artistry of the music or of other circumstances. When the Kyrie is sung as a part of the Penitential Act, a “trope” precedes each acclamation.

Then again, on the other hand, in Appendix II, which treats of the Sprinkling Rite, the final rubric says, "Then, when it is prescribed, the hymn Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is sung or said" -- which would seem to imply the omission of the Kyrie.

Oh well, what do I know. Maybe I remembered there being greater clarity on this question than there actually is.
  • marajoymarajoy
    fascinating.
    So, for the wedding liturgy, we simply do not/can not know whether the Kyrie is included, as it is neither mentioned explicitly as being omitted or occurring?
  • jhoffman
    This is a wonderful question. I have not thought of the Penitential Act as separate from the Kyrie, but there it is. It is under a different heading.

Parishes do use Penitential Act B. As a matter of fact several parishes in our area use only Pent. Act B until Lent so folks will not use old translations.

I still hear some folks using the old translations still. I am almost certain that for many it is an ingrained response that will take years to correct. However, when they are sung people respond well and with one voice. How Vatican Council II! (Of course this takes several weeks or months of practice, but it works!)

Our parish has used Pent. Act B - always chanted, even at weekday masses and the people respond brilliantly. This is always followed by a sung Kyrie. In Lent we are using the said Confiteor with an expanded sung Kyrie. In the season of Easter we will use a Sprinkling Rite and then back to Pent. Act B with a sung Kyrie for Ordinary or we will use the sung Kyrie with chanted troupes.

As for a wedding we do not sing the Gloria except when asked for it (outside of the Penitential seasons.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I don't understand the confusion about the Penitential Act. The rubrics seem fairly clear to me.

If a celebrant chooses Penitential Act A one has:
    Confiteor
    Absolution
    Kyrie (six-fold/nine-fold)
    Gloria (if called for)

If the celebrant chooses Penitential Act B (which I've only seen twice my entire life) one has:
    Priest: Have mercy on us, O Lord.
    People: For we have sinned against you
    Priest: Show us, O Lord, your mercy.
    People: And grant us your salvation.
    Absolution
    Kyrie (six-fold/nine-fold)
    Gloria (if called for)

If the celebrant chooses Penitential Act C, one has:
    Kyrie (with tropes "You were sent to heal the contrite of heart," et al. by priest, deacon or "another minister" [i.e. cantor])
    Absolution
    Gloria (if called for)

It is very clear that the rubrics specify a Gloria is to be said during Nuptial Masses. In fact, the 2002 Latin edition implemented this change for many more of the Ritual and Votive Masses, effectively elevating them to the level of Feasts. Therefore (correct me if I'm wrong), the Gloria should be said even during penitential seasons.
    Thanked by 1ngsc
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Gloria is specifically uncalled for during penitential seasons, according to the reading of the rubrics for Nuptial Masses in the new Roman Missal, right?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Not to my reading. The GIRM says of the Gloria:

"It is sung or said on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character."

Take a feast that might fall in Lent, like February 22, The Chair of St. Peter. The rubric there reads "The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said," not "The Gloria in excelsis is said if this feast falls outside of Lent."

Therefore, I would assume the rubric in the Nuptial Mass: "The Penitential Act is omitted. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is said," carries the same weight.

Additionally the "outside Advent and Lent" stipulation in the GIRM refers only to Sundays.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You are quite right, my apologies.
  • mahrt
    I am happy to see the prescription of the Gloria for the Wedding Mass. We have always sung it from the general prescription in the old GIRM that the Gloria may be sung in celebrations of greater festivity, which I have always said is true of weddings.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    CHGiffen,

No need to apologize! The prescription of the Gloria in the Nuptial Mass is unchartered waters for many of us.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JahazaJahaza
    It's interesting that the prescription of the Gloria for Wedding Masses in the Novus Ordo bring the Novus Ordo and the 1962 Missal into accord on this point. The Gloria had not been part of the Nuptial Mass prior to the reordering of the Calendar in the 1950's, then it was added, then taken away in the Novus Ordo and now added back.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'm curious from a practical standpoint how people are incorporating the Gloria into the nuptial Mass. Namely:

When the wedding party processes in, do they go directly to their seat or do they all line up across the front for a photo op. while the presider ad libs a lengthy greeting?

Regardless of the above, do you begin the Gloria immediately following the sign of the cross and the official greeting ("the Lord be with you...") or does your priest somehow "introduce" the Gloria? At this point I'm assuming to omit the Kyrie since we rarely sing it anyways and I'm having a difficult time convincing the pastor not to omit the Gloria. Still, even if one were to include the Kyrie should it start out of the blue since the actual penitential act is omitted?

One solution, I've considered would be to have the wedding party come in, pose for the photo, have the priest ad lib his non liturgical greeting, and then chant the introit while everyone moves to their seat, the intoit would then be followed by the sign of the cross, greeting, (Kyrie) and Gloria all in succession before the collect.

The problem I'm having is that they insist on having the wedding party stand across the front of the nave, do the colloquial greeting and then, out of habit, go directly into the collect, thereby skipping over the now required Gloria, before having everyone move to their seat for the readings, so it is awkward.

What do you do?
  • BenBen
    Obviously, if the pastor says no, listen and keep your job.

But if you are in a position to talk with him, the missal is clear: the gloria is sung. I don't see why he's wanting to omit it. And what is this talk about a photo-op? I don't get it. Can't they do that after Mass?

For the kyrie, while it's not completely obvious in the rite, but if you use simple logic, it should be sung:

1) In the ordinary of Mass, the Missal says "The kyrie is sung, unless it is already sung within the penitential act."
    2) The standalone (non-troped) Kyrie, therefore, is not part of the penitential act.
    3) The wedding ritual says to omit the penitential act, but makes no mention of the kyrie.
    4) Therefore, the kyrie is sung, because the ritual does not say to omit it.
    Thanked by 1ngsc
  • SalieriSalieri
    What we do, as local custom:

Bridal Procession
    Polish blessing of couple with Icon of the Mother of God
    Introit, (Greeting, if the priest forgets to omit it, which is most of the time), Kyrie, Gloria, &c. as in Missal/Gradual

The photographers are warned beforehand that they are to be discreet; and that if at any point they even do so much as THINK about crossing the altar-rail into the sanctuary, they will be bodily ejected from the church by some of our 6' tall altar 'boys'.
    Thanked by 3Earl_Grey CHGiffen ngsc
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    By photo op, I mean that it's the custom here for the wedding party to span across the front of the church following the procession and they don't go to their seats until after the collect. It doesn't make any liturgical sense to do this, and I think if they were to process directly to their seats, any awkwardness of singing the Gloria would be abated. But, alas, I have to concede to Ben's first statement.