Easter Organ Music
  • GavinGavin
    I'm trying to keep myself busy with lots of new music and practicing, but I'm kind of drawing a blank for what to work on now. So I thought I'd address the group:

Is there any organ music for the Easter SEASON (as opposed to Easter Day) that you'd suggest I should learn? I'm looking for something of moderate difficulty, that I can work up in 2-4 weeks. If you have any favorites that you love to pull out year to year, I'd love to hear them!

For my own part, I've worked up the whole Easter section of the Orgelbuchlein, and I'd also strongly recommend the Easter book from the Festal Voluntaries series published by Novello. And of course, there's always Widor's 10th and the Tournemire Victimae Paschali, but I'm looking for something more appropriate for Sundays of Easter. Whitlock also has some pieces based on Psalm 23 that I might look at for Shepherd Sunday.
  • BruceL
    The Toccatas on O Filii et Filiae by Guilmant and Lynwood Farnam are the only two I think of off the top of my head. I tend to play just general pieces for preludes and postludes, but those are definitely nice.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Have you looked at the Easter book in the Augsburg Organ Library collection?
  • redsox1
    I second the Augsburg book. There's some good stuff in there. Take a look at a the "Five Liturgical Pieces" by Lynn Trapp, published by Morning Star. There's a neat piece on "O Filii et Filiae". There's also the setting of "Gelobet Sei Gott" by Healey Willan, which can be found in John Ferguson's "A New Liturgical Year." Check out Gerald Near's Chant Works set II. Oh, and another fun piece is the set of variations on "O Filii et Filiae" by Jeanne Demessieux, found in the collection of 12 chorale preludes on chant melodies.
  • One can add to a plethora of O filii et filiaes the Dandrieu Offertoire (variations) based on that tune. There are several Bach Christ lags other than that in the Orglebuchlein. Also Bach's Nun freut euch. I'm doing Langlais' Chant de joie (from Neuf Pieces) on an Eastertide organ recital, in addition to his Incantation. There is also a Gelobet sei Gott by Ernst Pepping which is nice. Don't overlook numerous possibilities in J.G. Walther's partitas, ditto Pachelbel. Also, don't discount Helmut Walcha's works.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • Gavin - somehow I sent you an E-mail in answer to one of those no-reply things that you sent me about Houston vs. Austin. Please let me know whether or not you received it. (By the way: Austin does have one thing that Houston lacks: it is a beautiful city with rolling hills covered with lush trees.) Houston is noted for being an 'ugly' city, and, indeed, many of its denizens take pride in that. It really does have beauty, though, if you learn where to look for it; and I amplify anew the appeals of Houston that I did tell you about. They have gone a very, very, long way to successfully making of Houston so much much more that the over-grown cow town that it once was.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    As a former denizen of H-town, I must agree with your assessment.
  • lautzef
    There is a lovely 'Christ lag' by Georg Boehm that I like which is not overly difficult, as well the Bach settings mentioned above (mostly transcribed from the cantata). There are also quite a few other appropriate Easter season pieces that are not well known in the three-volume "Golden Treasury" originally published (as I recall) by Oliver Ditson. In spite of the rather grade-school title for these volumes, they contain quite a lot of good music for all seasons of the church year, although the selection is pretty much limited to the 17th and 18th centuries.

There are some wonderful early Renaissance settings of Easter cantus firmi in the Corpus of Early Keyboard Music. I can think of some - for example, several each of "Christ ist erstanden" and "Christus surrexit" in the manuscript of of Jan of Lublin. In spite of being quite easy to play finger-wise (I also use pedals even though they were mostly keyboard pieces), they require some thought and planning in order to bring out the polyphony. They are quite appropriate for small preludes or short pieces here and there. I try to distribute the voices among several registrations, and playing them so they are understandable (and interesting) can be tricky - even more so for some of the English keyboard pieces (Byrd and his predecessors - Thomas Preston, for one). There are early settings of Marian melodies, such as Regina Caeli. It can irritating when publishers just plop all the voices on the page without distinguishing which one is going where, and you have to guess which voice is which in some spots. This is true for Frescobaldi et al. in a lot of editions, too.

I second the motion on Gerald Near - I wish he would write some more!! He writes wonderful organ pieces based on chant, including Easter season chants, and I only wish there were more from the green season. If you are playing for masses following the Tridentine calendar you'll need to look up the liturgical uses for some of the texts, as his specifications are for the Vatican II calendar.

Thanks for mentioning Walcha - another of my favorites.

P.S. I was in Austin last fall for work and really enjoyed the city a lot!
  • marajoymarajoy
    lautzef- I happen to have that 3 volume "Golden Treasury." Anything in particular you'd recommend in there?
  • CharlesW
    These are excellent works that all of you have mentioned. I usually get out the "Festive Trumpet Tune" by David German for Easter Vigil and Easter postludes. It's a real crowd pleaser and is easy to play.
  • Protasius
    On IMSLP you can find a collection called Cantantibus Organis, the 8th volume of which contains pieces for Easter; among pieces for Easter Sunday there are also settings of the Alleluja for Low Sunday, O filii et filiae and the Sequence Fulgens praeclara, that was used at Easter Sunday in some places.
    Thanked by 1CGM