"Enfolding" a paraphrased, metric Proper within an existing work?
  • We all have a stable of "go to" anthems/motets/etc. that we resort to occasionally when rehearsal time demands for large seasonal works precludes sufficient time alotted for the upcoming Sunday. One of ours is the Dubois (Montani arr.) "Adoramus te Christe" from the St. Gregory. It occured to me that putting a metric hymn-style paraphrase, reset voice assignments, etc. between the Latin and English verses of the original Dubois setting of the devotional text wouldn't be an egregious accretion. Or would it? Communio verse paraphrased for Lent V, the resuscitation of Lazarus. Your thoughts? I have noticed two errata, which I will fix and repost pdf., ms. 14 requires slur; ms. 15 "saved FROM (not "by") death.
  • Kathy
    Hi, Charles, just to play Devil's advocate, what would be the reason for combining these two, rather than singing them individually? A kind of antiphony? Just wondering...
  • Good question, Kathy, of course.
    This particular notion obviously juxtaposes the dialectic progression, or the foreshadowing of the resurrection by the Lazarus account in this Sunday's gospel. So there's that. Plus, we all know that in larger parishes where attendance is full, timing of musical items during Communion can vary, and thus flexibility to shorten or lengthen items is a discretion.
    It is not uncommon at our parish that the Rice choral Communio is sung, an entire congregational "alius" then follows, and an anthem follows that while reception is still occuring. Often we'll complete an anthem before the deacon returns to the chair, as silence is always observed before the Communion collect. Just an idea.
  • Kathy
    Oh gosh, I don't know what's wrong with me, I didn't notice the attachment and I totally misread your post. I thought you were doing something much, much different (making a Rice sandwich instead of a Charles sandwich.) Sorry!

I just sang through this and I love it.
  • lld
    Mr. C, that sounds like one heavenly super-parish ya got there...so many faithful elect receiving the eucharist there that you've time for a righteous choral concert! Your PIPs are trained well, I wager. You are blessed to have clergy who "get it"! My last two pastors didn't want ANY singing (CHANT!) at communiatio! They were big on "reflective silence" vs FACP and only allowed a brief organ solo which HAD to end as soon as last host was served! Thanks for errata (which are way kool...and the gang!) Lazarus resuscitated (vs "resurrected") makes more sense and is plausible. You seem to have been taught "the Mystery of the Kingdom of God!" I know that there are deep truths that are kept from the uninitiated (who blindly accept the bowdlerized "canonical gospels") If you can help me with this, please do 'cause I am shopping for a new spiritual adviser (and hermeneutics coach). Thanks Brother & Peace (Of Christ) Out!
  • Thanks for errata...Lazarus resuscitated (vs "resurrected") makes more sense and is plausible. You seem to have been taught "the Mystery of the Kingdom of God! I know that there are deep truths that are kept from the uninitiated (who blindly accept the bowdlerized "canonical gospels") If you can help me with this, please do.

Maybe I'm just wildly misunderstanding you, but I think Charles' choice of "resuscitated" vs. "resurrected" was just word choice, not a statement on the miracle. The Gospels (the canonical ones, the ones that are actually part of the inspired Word of God) make it clear that Lazarus was dead. Really dead. For four days. As for the other comments on the canonical gospels, I caution you to be careful of gnosticism, a heresy.