Indicating the Beginning of the Good Friday Service
  • How do you all do begin the Good Friday Service? You can't really ring a bell, can you? I don't think it's appropriate to say, "Welcome to this celebration!' (Man, I hate that...) Any good ideas. And yes, I know one could say, "Please stand." But then wouldn't you almost immediately, upon the clergy getting up to the altar, have to say, "Please kneel." ?
  • We're accustomed to either "Let all now stand/kneel" or "Let us all stand/kneel" canted with the final down a minor third. Works fine.
  • BenBen
    At my cathedral, the servers just begin processing in silence. People stand when they see the procession begin, and hear the ruffles of cassocks. It seems to be the most fitting entrance: in complete silence. Then everyone simply kneels at the beginning, no cues, since the bishop kneels/prostrates (depending on health), and the servers and concelebrants [edit: priests in choir] kneel. They figure it out well enough. :)

If you can pull it off, it's amazing to have absolute silence right up until the collect (which I think comes first).
  • Protasius
    IIRC we begin the service in silence with the clergy proceeding to the altar and prostrating on the steps.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Liam
    Procession in silence. Not a word or motion otherwise. Period.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • I like it. That's the way I would have done it. Ok...I feel liberated. Seriously, is there a better place than this site and better people to talk to than the ones on here when it comes to this stuff? Amazing! :)
  • benedictgal
    The best rule of thumb is to begin in silence. If I recall. The Papal Good Friday liturgy begins in complete silence. No one is applauding, let alone singing. In my parish. I will be suggesting that we dispense with the bell.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Would a wooden clapper be appropriate? It's used in place of bells during other parts of the Triduum, so maybe that could be used. It seems like it would be appropriately penitential.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Silence is ... golden.

• Liam is right!
    At Walsingham only the 'clapper' breaks the silence, and all instinctively stand for the silent procession. How else should it be? An 'announcement' of any sort would be unthinkable and barbarous.
    And, CHG is right: silence is worth its weight in gold.
  • canadashcanadash
    Shhh. 1200 silent people... priceless....
  • CharlesW
    There is a procession in silence. The rule of thumb is, do what the pastor says. If in doubt, consult the pastor.
  • mahrt
    A procession in silence followed by the prostration of the ministers. This is one of the most moving elements of the Holy Week services. To see the eloquent, the learned, the holy men on their faces before the awesome fact of the crucifixion conveys a message that no words can approach.
  • AMEN!
  • Thanks to all. Will defer to the wisdom and call for silence out here.
    Blessings to you for the truly fraternal correction.