Do you have paid section leaders? And if so, how much do you pay?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Just wondering how many Directors are using paid section leaders...and what do you pay per rehearsal/mass. Would also like to know anything you think is helpful on this topic.
    Many thanks.
  • ref_scottref_scott
    $40 a mass, includes rehearsal one hour before.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • IanWIanW
    Chance would be a fine thing!
  • redsox1
    $50 per call-usually a Thursday rehearsal plus warm-up (45 minutes) and Mass on Sunday. Extra rehearsals and Masses are generally paid at the same rate, although we gave a small bonus at Christmas because of the extra work involved.
  • GavinGavin
    $25/call, so $50/week. Also available as a lump-sum scholarship. It seems low to me, but we don't have a huge budget for it.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • $150/ two weeks. Choral scholars- 2 college kids and a senior in high school.
  • $100 - 125 / call, with a rehearsal an hour before. Top-notch professionals. Cost of living is high in NYC and there is a larger market for singers, so you have to pay for quality. We've found we can get students for slightly less, but you sacrifice experience and reliability in the trade-off.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • $35/rehearsal and $40/Mass. The cantor gets $50/Mass.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • The Choral Scholars at St Stephen's, Sacramento receive $100.00 per service which includes rehearsal.
  • We have paid chorus members. The normal call is Sunday only with a 10am rehearsal and an 11am Mass for $50. Major feasts and holidays are $60-65 depending upon length. We do have some mid-week rehearsals throughout the year at $40 per call.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Thanks everyone for posting. It's a big help. I'm doing a budget/proposal for a new job. Great pastor who loves high quality sacred music, but the parish is very poor. I'm hoping that I can scrounge enough for at least two student section leaders to kick start something. At the moment there is no DM and it's a mess. There's a lot of money in the surrounding parishes and those section leaders are getting on average $70 per rehearsal and $100 per mass. (in DC) I'm sure God will provide....somehow.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Good luck, tomboysuze!
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Pray for me, Charles. I'm sure this is the hand of God drawing me in because I have a real aversion to the area where this church is located, and have absolutely no experience with Hispanic liturgy....and cannot stop myself working all hours on a plan to give this beautiful, humble priest (and of course, Christ) the joy of the music he so desires (Palestrina...etc.) I'm thinking...why not just scrap this awful music, start a night "music school" and teach them the skills to do music from the Mexican Baroque? But then, my attraction to beauty has always trumped my common sense.....but then again....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    @tomboysuze

Not only will I pray for you (actually you have already been in my prayers), I'm sure that many others of us here will pray for you, as well. I think we all see the hand of God moving upon your spirit and guiding you, and we assure you that our loving God graciously gives you the power to assess and judge the situation and take the action you deem best, knowing full well that God is always with you.

By the way, that attraction to beauty indeed does, for many of us, trump our common sense ... and yet ... (I've been there!) ...
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze