English SATB Gospel Acclamations for Eastertide (Graduale Simplex + Lectionary)
  • Available for download are the following SATB arrangements of the Eastertide Gospel Acclamations found in the Lectionary. All of the Alleluia melodies are sourced from the Graduale Simplex and match the mode of that day's second Alleluia found in the Graduale Romanum. Occasionally the Lectionary text of the verse will correspond to that of the Graduale Romanum, but not always.

Those familiar with my English Choral Graduale Simplex collection will recognize the harmonized psalm tones immediately.
    Thanked by 1Bobby Bolin
  • Bobby Bolin
    Are there also Gospel Acclamations in other modes that you have not posted here? Isn't Mode VI the common one that you see in nearly every hymnal? I apologize for being a complete newbie at this.
  • Hi Bobby,

The Mode VI Alleluia that is most commonly known is originally from the Divine Office for the Easter Vigil, which also is recommended as a communion antiphon for the Easter Vigil Mass by the editors of the Graduale Simplex. (I have harmonized this antiphon, btw.)

I desired that the Gospel Acclamations in this collection would mirror the modal variety found in the Gregorian Alleluias of the Graduale Romanum, which change from week to week; this is why the Simplex melodies were employed. (Not that I necessarily employ a wide variety at my churches yet; we only sing the Simplex triple alleluias in Modes VI and VII.)
  • Bobby Bolin
    Thanks for the clarification!