The Catholic Liturgy is not disposable!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    One of the reasons I was inspired to create the Vatican II Hymnal was that many people were concerned about the effect Missalettes were having. Here's an example of the kind of messages we received:

This looks like a great project. For years I have longed for a hard bound "pew edition" of the lectionary along with decent Catholic hymns. It bothers me to throw out the Word of God every few months when we dispose of our 'missalettes'.
    Fr. Robert Schaller - ccwatershed.org Blog - 29 April 2011

If you agree with Fr. Schaller, please feel free to "spread around" this video:

YouTube (Version 1)

Vimeo Video (highest quality)
    YouTube (Version 2)
    BlipTV (low quality)
    GloriaTV (low quality)

THANKS!

• JennyH
    I agree about the Missalettes, but a person who works for WLP told me without the sale of these disposable books, WLP would go out of business. Sad, but true.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's that continuous flow business model (disposable items with a limited, fixed usefulness must be continually replenished/renewed) - get the customers hooked on it and they'll keep coming back. Same with oil/energy, alcohol/drugs, soft drinks, etc. It's just a shame that it's misallettes, too, and these publishers reap a huge harvest at the expense of parishes that can ill-afford the costs involved for something that is, at least nowadays, of questionable value from aesthetic, liturgical, and ethical viewpoints.
  • ryandryand
    The parish where I currently work throws out several boxes of unused misalletes every liturgical season. These are from WLP.

The parish is so poor that the diocese has to support them through a charity fund. Less than 30% of parishioners contribute anything to the weekly offering.

Again,
    Several boxes of WLP get thrown out with each liturgical season.

Let's move beyond this, folks!
  • Blaise
    Let me try to do some math here, namely for myself, not a music director----say we have a parish of approximately 100 individuals. The price of a WLP Seasonal Missalette is currently $3.24. So, for this imaginary parish, they could expect to pay $324/year. Now, supposing, for simplicity's sake, this parish instead chooses a Vatican II SATB Hymnal at $11.00 per book. They could expect to pay $1100, but these books, I assume, would, if they are bound well, could be expected to last for years, maybe even a decade or more, I'm guessing. So, if this parish chooses the first option at $324 per year multiplied by 10 years to equal $3240, they could have saved $2140 over the decade. Whether that savings is important to your parish, you be the judge.
  • Blaise
    Okay, I gotta be fair: the WLP Seasonal Missalette has some Mass settings in it, whereas you have to buy another book in order to get Mass settings for the Vatican II Hymnal.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Okay, I gotta be fair: the WLP Seasonal Missalette has some Mass settings in it, whereas you have to buy another book in order to get Mass settings for the Vatican II Hymnal.

Paul, perhaps I am misreading your comment (which I often do). If so, I apologize for this. The V2H has more than 100 pages of Mass settings CONTAINED inside its pages. For free online organ accompaniments, go here: http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/Mass/

Also, the Vatican II Hymnal is extremely durable and beautiful, in terms of the print quality. It is of the highest quality, I am glad to say.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's apples versus oranges here. Paul Viola priced the Vatican II SATB (accompaniment) book, at $11.00 a copy, and of course this accompaniment edition does not contain the Mass settings in the regular hard-bound Vatican II Hymnal, which is $15.00 a copy for 100-499 copies, which is the hymnal Jeffrey Ostrowski is talking about.

To clarify a bit more and consider the hymnal with Mass settings: If this parish were to buy the Vatican II Hymnal (hardbound, pew edition), then it would cost $1500, and the savings over the WLP missalettes over 10 years would amount to $1740, still a respectable sum.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Also, it seems to me that parishes buy the Missalettes in addition to their Hymnals. They buy the Missalettes for the readings, not the Propers, hymns, Mass settings, etc.

This video is probably the best "summary," but I am biased for the two actors ...
  • ryandryand
    That's also for the seasonal WLP, which is not a full year's worth. Being that we're now in lent, a parish using WLP has now spent $648 by Paul's estimation, and we're only 3 months into the year!

The numbers by Advent would convince any pastor to switch to a more permanent hymnal.