Gospel readings during Lent
  • ryandryand
    Hello all,

I am curious about how the Gospel readings are decided during Lent. With the SEP accompaniment project I'm working on, I've come across a few options where the propers change with the Gospel reading. For example, this coming Sunday, the communion antiphon would be different if the Gospel of the Samaritan woman was to be read.

I'd like to know what, if anything, determines which Gospel is to be read on these dates where there might be several options. Is it a matter of years A/B/C or is it just up to the parish priest(s)? Is it something to do with the particular mass time?

I've never been aware of something like this before, and I'm wondering if it is somehow "linked" to any of our other liturgical norms for organization.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
  • Liam
    The Cycle A Sunday Gospel pericopes for Lent 3, 4 and 5 may always be used, regardless of cycle, in the event of the scrutinies for RCIA in preparation for initiation at the Easter Vigil. The Cycle A choices were in part developed with RCIA in mind.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    ryand,

The Gregorian Missal (and SEP) follow the terminology used by the ORDO CANTUS MISSAE. I agree that it would have been more clear to simply stick to "Year A" etc. — Then, in the event of the Scrutinies, folks just have to remember to use the "Year A" readings. At least, that's how my mind works . . .

Thanked by 1ryand