Text/poems for Sacred Music - contemporary and non-liturgical
  • ronaldronald
    Hello,
    I’m a composer and I’m looking for contemporary non-liturgical poems or texts, suitable for sacred music. If you have (or know of) something you think may be suitable, please contact me.
    Kind regards,
    Ronald
  • Paul_D
    In the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours, there is a section of religious poetry (one appendix in each volume). The texts range in origin from the middle ages to the twentieth century. A few have been set by familiar composers and have become standard choral repertoire, but there are several gems waiting to be discovered, particularly among the newer texts.

Any priest will have a copy and might lend you the off-seasons volumes, or you might try your local library, though it's a long shot. Believe me, there are some amazing texts in these appendices.

Another thought -- in the Roman Missal, some of the prayers at the back for the priest's preparation for Mass and thanksgiving after Mass are worthy matter for choral settings.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ronaldronald
    Thank you, Paul.
  • ronaldronald
    Noel J. pointed out to me that I haven’t asked for the original works of the group members. I’m indeed very interested in your original works. As you know I’m looking for non-liturgical poems or texts. I’m looking forward to reading and knowing your production.
    Kind regards,
    Ronald