Newman hymns
  • Mike R
    It's a travesty that Newman's hymn texts are almost completely missing from modern Catholic hymnals. Since I direct a Newman Center, I'm putting together a little supplement that will include some of his hymns. I have Firmly I Believe and Truly and Lead Kindly Light (SANDON), and Praise to the Holiest is in our hymnals from Liturgical Press.

Does anyone have a good pdf or image file of LKL set to LUX BENIGNA and ALBERTA (the latter mostly for my own curiosity, since I can't seem to find it anywhere)? Or any other Newman texts?

Thanks!
  • I have an 1888 edition of Newman's poetical works, including quite a number of office hymns, being his translations from the Latin, and in a variety of metres. Too, there are the complete set of hymns from The Dream of Gerontius, and others. If any of this material might be useful to you, I could send you photo-copies through the mail. I am not so computer adept that I could send them via PDF or other such medium.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Jackson's comment gave me an idea for a google search, which led to rather a treasure trove: http://www.newmanreader.org/works/verses/index.html
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Here's the one I learned at the monastery.