WALSINGHAM EASTERTIDE ORGAN RECITAL
  • The VII. Sunday of Easter, being the 20th May, at 4 pm Jackson Osborn will give a second Eastertide organ recital at Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston. This may be a little early for an announcement, but I thought that those who know that they may be in the area at that time might like to plan to come.

At the centre of the program will be a set of 3 Psalm Pictures dealing with Easter themes by Gregory Hamilton, PhD. Many of you may know Greg, who a few years ago was Master of the Music at St Theresa's in Sugarland, and is now Music Director at Holy Trinity Seminary in Dallas. Greg has composed this fine set just for a world premier at this recital.

The complete program is:

1. Incantations pour un jour Saint - - - - - - - - - Jean Langlais

2. Two organ chorals - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Joh. Seb. Bach
    A. Schmucke dich, o liebe Seele (BWV 654)
    B. Christ lag in Todesbanden (BWV 695)

3. Praeludium in e-moll, the Greater - - - - - - - - - Nicolaus Bruhns

4. Three Psalm Pictures (Second Set) - - - - - - - - - Gregory Hamilton
    (World Premier)
    1. Psalm LXIII - Your loving kindness is better than life itself
    2. Psalm XXII - My hands are pierced
    3. Fugue - The King of Glory (on the Antiphon, Angelus autem Domini)

5. A Voluntary for ye Double Organ (Z. 719) - - - - - - Henry Purcell

6. Two organ chorals - - - - - - - - - - - - Joh. Seb. Bach
    A. Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g'mein (BWV 734)
    B. Fantasia super Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herre Gott (BWV 651)

7. Variations on Victimae Paschali Laudes - - - - - - - - - Jiri Ropek

Men of the parish choir will sing the corresponding chorals or chants before their respective pieces
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Why, oh why is Houston so far away? ... this looks to be a wonderful recital. Is there any chance it will be recoreded?
  • It MAY be. I haven't worked on that aspect yet.
    I DO have a CD of a recital I gave at St Basil's Chapel at UST that I could send you.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    That would be great! I'll send you my address here in Hudson, WI. Thank you so much.
  • Ah! So you live in Wisconsin. Throw a snowball for me today. It's really awful living down here where we count ourselves fortunate if we get a few snowflakes every 10 years.
    (I'll be happy to send you the CD.)