New Member and Easter Sacred Music Question
  • ALang
    Hello Everyone!

First post here, so I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm currently a pastoral associate working for four rural clustered parishes in the Dubuque area in Iowa. It's been a long love affair with sacred music, mostly as a listener and in a few modest musical groups in high school and college. My academic background includes a BA from Thomas Aquinas College (class of '06) and obtaining a MA in philosophy with the Western Providence Dominicans in Berkeley. I sang in a schola at TAC for three years. My wife is from the Dubuque area and I'm originally from MN. We returned to IA from CA six months ago to see more family and a more rural life.

My work as a pastoral associate has been excellent in the last six months and I am working with a very good priest in re-introducing orthodoxy and orthopraxis to the small but busy parishes. It is a NO parish and very typical but with a strong core of faithful members who seem to be involved with everything (in a good way). I have serious hopes for the reform of the reform here.

On the music front, I'm presently leading a liturgical theology class with a small group of musicians who are interested in getting away from the typical blah OCP hymn sandwiches which was the carte blanche upon my arrival. I'm also slowing working to convince enough musicians in the four parishes to consent to making a switch to the Adoremus or VII hymnal hopefully in a year or two. In the meantime, I've managed to get them to learn the ICEL chants, and am working with those interested on more Gregorian chant and eventually polyphony.

Which brings me to my question: I have some musicians who would like to sing some chant and polyphony this upcoming Easter. They are competent musicians (can read music, play piano, vocalize, etc.) but have no experience singing polyphony and are unfamiliar with Latin. As far as Easter chant goes, I hope to work on the SEP's as well as some Latin pieces. So what are the easiest quality polyphonic pieces out there to introduce to a small group?

I don't imagine they could learn much Palestrina or Lassus at this point. Should I maybe try to introduce an English piece from Tallis (such as If Ye Love Me)? Or perhaps one of Keven Allen's three part motets? Byrd's Ave Verum Corpus? Also, are there any accessible ordinaries out there for three or four voices? I've sung polyphony before but never taught it. Where is a good place to start for beginners with a goal of learning some polyphony for Easter this year?

Looking forward to participating in the forum more and thanks in advance for your advice.

Godspeed,
    Andrew
  • "They are competent musicians (can read music, play piano, vocalize, etc.) but have no experience singing polyphony and are unfamiliar with Latin." If they are competent musicians, they should have no trouble with polyphony; you think they will, ergo they're not. But that's OK, because it's a competency you can build into them. If they can read music (i.e., audiate, as Edwin Gordon would say, not just get rhythm and note names), then their only problem is dealing with the style and rhythms, longer note values, etc. ... which are things that can throw even quite experienced musicians who don't do polyphony. If in fact they don't really read music, it's a harder slog but can be done. I would think you'd want to learn something that you can get quite a bit of milage out of, and is easy enough to make them feel good about performing it. The Lotti Missa Brevis is a good halfway-house between harmonic style and polyphony. The Lassus Missa Iager/Venatorum/Octavi toni is short and not hard. For motets, you should probably be looking at generalized Eucharistic texts. The Byrd is a little harder than it looks, and particularly needs singers with good technique and pitch (ditto with Victoria O Magnum Mysterium). The Aichinger Regina Caeli is seasonal and easy (that and Lotti are in last years Colloquium packet, which I think can still be downloaded?) Whatever you choose to work up, make sure they also have a goodly bunch of time to just READ 16th-century repertoire. They need to encounter and internalize the cliches, so they aren't thrown off by them in performance. It can be stuff you might want to learn later, but it doesn't have to be. This will also help with the Latin, which is easy but takes some doing (they will dipthongize e FOREVER).

It sounds like you are doing really wonderful things...keep up the good work.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If you're looking for Latin motets, here are a few rather easy ones, suitable for Communion anytime:

O bone Jesu (Marco Antonio Ingegneri) - short 4-part motet, easy.

Adoramus te, Christe (Francesco Rosselli) - same soprano line as the work (below) circulated in the 19th century which was purported to be by Palestrina, namely:

Adoramus te, Christe (attrib. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina) - (too) popular, and not too bad an imitation of the Renaissance style (even if not quite Palestrina)

Jesu, dulcis memoria (Tomás Luis de Victoria) - very much in the core style of Renaissance polyphony

The Tallis "If ye love me" is a bit more difficult and also time-specific, but a stellar composition. The Byrd "Ave verum corpus" is even a bit more difficult still, but outstanding, for Communion anytime.

All the above are available free from CPDL.

Kevin Allen's 3-part motets are very good, and learning aids are available.

Good luck with your efforts - you've evidently already made greats strides!
  • Welcome ALang,
    Ditto to my friend JQ's caveat about the Byrd AVC, much more complex than first appears, more challenging than "Sicut..." As another colleague, MJOsborn, recommends, the two part Lassus motets provide challenges a-plenty and are wholly satisfying. Also, you might look towards niche pieces in SAB/SAT such as the Pitoni "Cantate Domino."
    The main "performance" objective, as you doubtless know from TAC, is to achieve as much success in all the areas of concern beyond the basics (intonation, vowel unity, blend/balance, etc.) Success attracts.....
  • ALang,

If you are interested, I have arranged "Sicut Cervus" for SAB, and cut down the length. I'd be willing to share it with you - message me if you're interested.

If you can find a copy of Ravanello's Vidi Aquam, that is also an SAB that is largely but not completely homophonic, seasonally appropriate, etc. I also highly recommend the Aichinger Regina Caeli.
  • rich_enough
    If you are looking for music for the Easter season, here are some easier music available online:
    Alleluia - Andrea Gabrieli
    Haec dies - Viadana
    Regina caeli - Lotti
    Regina caeli - Salazar
    Regina caeli - Soriano
    This is the day - Anonymous (attr. Parsley)

Here are some accessible Mass ordinaries (SATB):
    Missa sine nomine - Viadana
    Missa octavi toni - Lassus
    Missa secundi toni - Lassus (only Kyrie, Gloria and Credo available online)
    Missa super Quando'io penso al martire - Lassus
    Mass in A Minor - Casciolini
    Missa cum quoatuor vocibus - Pierre Colin

(shameless plug alert) I've also written a short mass in Latin for SAB, and I have a mass setting by Casciolini for SAB (alternating chant and choir) if you are interested.
  • ALang
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions...I will spend some time looking into the pieces mentioned and considering your prep/performance advice!