Can chant be sung successfully without someone directing?
  • marajoymarajoy
    For example, if a group of singers were to learn a chant from the same recording, and each individually attempt to follow the nuances precisely (speed up here; barely lengthen this note,) and/or if the group spends time rehearsing together and agreeing upon rhythms and flow, then is a director really necessary?

I have found myself in the position of being "director," and yet, once I feel like I've "taught" the group, either by example or explanation of specific phrases, I can't help but wondering if all of my arm-waving is superfluous. Perhaps even moreso with some very amateur groups: if they have learned the chant more by ear than reading the notes-- wouldn't they be less affected by small nuances in conducting?
    On the other hand, I have found myself in a situation of singing chant in a group with advanced singers and a superb conductor, and after extensive rehearsing, I feel as though I am so familiar with the director's every move, that we are already doing what he is directing, and if he stopped conducting, we would sound the exact same.

Perhaps I am not such a good chant singer or director, that I am not aware of the extent of the affect that conducting can have?
  • ryandryand
    Doesn't matter.
  • If the group genie is at work and the result is genuine musicianship and artful interaction from all concerned, it matters not.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    When I worked with Wilko Brouwers last summer, he taught me that both are, in a way, involved. I was over-gesturing. He told me to try letting the group sing without me moving my arm once. It was really hard, but it taught an important lesson; some things a group already knows how to do by itself. After listening to the group without directing, I could then make each gesture meaningful and important, and they wouldn't be bogged down with the extras that they didn't need. I can't say I did much better with my directing the rest of the week, but it has made a huge impact on my directing in the long run.

I also think that the need for a director increases with the size of the group, depends on how well the group knows the piece, and what the experience is of the musicians involved.
  • Carl DCarl D
    If you watch some professional groups that do this, you'll often see that they watch each others' body language closely, and occasionally one person will indicate a specific point, like a cutoff.

There's always SOME variation in a live performance, it's unavoidable.
  • Joy,
    What, if I may ask, what is the impetus for your question?
    As primarily a choral conductor, I know that the nature of that form seems actually more accessible (and I have been part of an eight voice, undirected professional choir in the resume) than the demands of acute accuracy (that may seem oxymoronic, but it ain't) when it comes to chanting with just precision, not to mention the more important demands.
    Chant, now that I think of it, is somewhat akin visually to a flock of migrating birds. The importance of the lead bird is self-evident, but the beauty lies in the synchronicity of the whole flock, moving as one.
    Thanked by 1JDE
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If the conducting is in the way, don't do it! If all the teaching and explaining and demonstrating and rehearsing isn't enough, then gesture might help. Part of making this decision depends also on how big the group is. There's a certain critical mass for each group where it becomes difficult to read your fellow ensemble members and really need one particular leader.
  • I like the flock of birds visual- very apt, Charles.
    Need for leadership in my experience has depended on skill of singers (blend, range tone, rhythmic approach) and number in the schola. More singers usually means a single visual unity is more crucial.

Overguessturing is a problem, but dumping all guesstures won't fix lack of conducting training and experience.

I greatly value Prof. Mahrt's conducting at the Colloquium, as an example of appropriate chant conducting. His economic use of motion commands more focused singing and keeps the direction clear and forward moving.
    Thanked by 1JDE
  • marajoymarajoy
    CCC- I'm directing a small schola for the time being, and I just feel...silly...waving my arms around. If I stop, I suspect they start to drag (almost like they need reassurance of my being there!) but I don't think it's because they need every note (or 2 or even 3) beat-ed out. I'm trying to decide if it's appropriate for me to do less directing, or if that would that just be laziness on my part.
  • Thanks, Joy-
    I think MaryAnn's remarks address your concerns. But I would say you likely have no reason to feel "silly" if you're keeping your "flock" moving through whatever economy of gesture works. In my recent post at Cafe I mention that we had two scholas for last Sunday's Rite of Election Introit. Our garage schola of three guys, who really don''t "read" neumes all that well, must rehearse for hours to nuance the chant by rote repetition. We, OTOH, don't have that luxury of time, so the economy of chironomy (there I go again) is broader. But both leaders still employ it necessarily.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Generally speaking, some is enough, less is frequently more than enough, but none might be insufficient.

When I joined Zephyrus almost 20 years ago, it was a 10-voice ensemble with 3 sopranos, 2 altos, a countertenor/director, 2 tenors, and 2 basses. At that time, the director (Paul Walker, now at Notre Dame University), almost never "conducted" - he simply indicated attacks and cutoffs, and when necessary used slight motion of the music folder (up and down) to indicate tempo modifications. As singers, we all watched each other as well as the director for visual cues.

By the time the group had grown to 14 singers and we were singing such works as the 6-part Taverner "Missa Gloria tibi Trinitas" (replete with soli sections and tutti sections), he conducted and did not sing, yet in the soli sections the singers always maintained eye contact. By the way, that piece is simply amazing, both to hear - and even more so to sing!