Anyone recognize this "Tribulationes cordis mei"?
  • Got me. It seems just a little wayward to be Rheinberger...maybe somebody like Franz Kersch, or a modern historicist composer. I went poking around, hoping I could find this on a program. I suggest you try to contact Bradley Ulrich, their director...it might even be his. These are apparently high schoolers?? Wow...
  • Maureen
    Brandon Ulrich, you mean. (Yeah, I poked around their website, too.)

The choir (or Brandon Ulrich, anyway) has songs listed on iTunes from various choir competition CDs. (I don't have iTunes, but at least now they give you a "preview page".) But I don't see this one listed.
  • Thanks very much for trying. Yes, I was impressed by the performance, but it gets better. I was obviuosly poking around for videos for next Sunday, and I heard the same piece, again with no composer identified, by a young choir in SPAIN, conducted by a very young lady, perhapd a high schooler or young college student, with similarly bravo results. It may be something that is in fact written to get this kind of sound out of young singers.

I didn't poke around enough before I asked, and thanks for trying.
  • That "a little to wayward to be Rheinberger"--classic. In any case, I should dig around a little. I kind of like it after 24 hours.
  • I guess Rheinberger was being a little wayward. Dr. Ulrich got right back to me:

It is by Josef Gabriel Rheinberger, and is published by Arista AE 503. The text comes from Psalm 25:17-18. Let me know if you have other questions, it is an amazing piece!

Brandon Ulrich

Director of Choirs and Musical Theatre

Stoney Creek High School

575 E. Tienken Rd.

Rochester Hills, MI 48306

(248) 726-5764 office

bulrich@rochester.k12.mi.us
  • Apparently Rheinberger outdid himself:
    Rheinberger Tribulationes

I love Rheinberger, and thought I recognized this, but it's been a long time.
  • I'm surprised...that piano intro seems to flirt with atonality without committing, which is why I second-guessed my gut reaction.
  • Glad I introduced this to everyone, then. Dr. Ulrich adds that people have guessed Brahms and is a little more romantic that Rheinberger's norm.