Ash Wednesday experience
  • Today was the first time that I used the SEPs at my parish. For the better part of nearly seven months, I had been chanting the SEPs at my dad's parish. Given the fact that there wasn't anyone scheduled to sing at the noon Mass, our parochial vicar asked if I could help out. While going over what to sing, I asked him if I could go ahead and chant the SEPs (Introit and Communion) and he agreed. This is what was used:

Introit (SEP)
    Responsorial Psalm: Owen Aslott
    Gospel Acclamation: David Hurd's Kyriale setting (very solemn)
    Distribution of Ashes - Again We Keep This Solemn Fast and Where Charity and Love Prevail
    Offertory: Attende Domine (English)
    Incense during Offertory: Attende Domine (Latin)
    ICEL chants
    Communion Antiphon (SEP)
    Communion Hymn: O Sun of Justice and then Where Charity and Love Prevail (Communion ran a little longer than expected and I had already covered two repeats of O Sun of Justice)
    Recessional: The Glory of these Forty Days

Incidentally, it was all done acapella. Frankly, I was quite nervous because our parish uses OCP exclusively, in particular the United in Christ book. UC has a dearth of sacred music, especially when it comes to Lent.

The feedback was good, especially from our parochial vicar. He said that this gives parishioners a chance to experience how things could be.

I could not have done this alone. Ben Yanke and Adam Bartlett were a huge help in all of this. I owe them a huge debt of gratitude. I also owe Pope Benedict XVI a huge "thank you" for leading by example. He is a great blessing to the Church and to me.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ally
  • I'm just so thrilled about this. It is the greatest thing ever to just jump in and do the thing.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • My parish did:

Introit: CH Giffen's lenten setting
    Entrance: Hosea (OCP)
    Psalm: CCWatershed
    Gospel acclamation: CCWatershed "simple"
    Offertory: The Glory of These Forty Days
    Communion: Antiphon from the Anglican Use Gradual, with verses pointed by myself
    Recessional: Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days

Haven't heard any reactions yet. We had no music during the distribution of ashes; just the continuous refrain of "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return," which I found rather compelling.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jeffrey, I forgot to thank you, as you were the one who really got the ball rolling. Having read your articles on music, I felt empowered to do something. One thing is to say, "Yeah, I would love to see that in my parish"; quite another is to actually try it. Sure, there are sacrifices to be made, especially if one is barely learning how to read music, but, the effort is well worth it.
  • Mount Calvary Church
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter
    Celebrant: Father James Moore, OP

Music for 22 Feb 2012 (Ash Wednesday)
    Sung Mass with Blessing and Imposition of Ashes (Anglican Use)

Ordinary: Missa Parvula (Peter Maxwell Davies; written for Westminster Cathedral)
    Propers: Gregorian (Palmer/Burgess)
    Antiphons:
    Exsurge (plainsong)
    Emendemus (Byrd)
    Motet: Lord, for thy tender mercies sake (Farrant)
    Respond: Parce Domine
    Hymns:
    The fast, as taught by holy lore (Old 100th)
    Lord Jesus, think on me (Southwell)
    The glory of these forty days (Erhalt uns, Herr)
  • ryandryand
    -Latin introit w/ accomp
    -(psalm was read)
    -Aristotle Esguerra's gospel acclamation
    -Attende Domine for distribution of ashes
    -SEP offertory w/ accomp
    -Latin sanctus acapella
    -(mem. acc. / amen / our father were spoken)
    -Latin agnus dei w/ accomp
    -SEP communion w/ accomp
    -Postlude: organ arr. & improv. on Immutemur Habitu by Jose M.N. Garcia
  • I don't think that you are supposed to have a postlude organ during Lent. The instruments in the OF are only supposed to support the singing. I needed to remind the organist at my dad's parish.
  • For last night's Mass at my dad's parish, we had the organist. Unfortunately, we were unable to transpose the keys and, sadly, I sounded like a screeching cat. I do wish that the pitch would be set at a lower vocal range.

I am convinced that the SEPs were probably not meant for use with the organ. They are meant to be chanted. Somehow, adding the organ, especially during Lent, takes away some of the beauty from the chant. Nonetheless, despite my screeching, everything else seemed to have gone well.
  • 9am Parochial School and Parish Mass- wholly unaccompanied singing

Introit: Simple English Proper/"Again we keep this solemn fast" (Erhalt uns, Herr)
    All celebrant orations chanted ICEL Missal
    Confession/Lord have mercy-ICEL
    Collect-chanted
    Responsorial: R&A chanted out of meter
    Gos.Accl.- Culbreth setting
    Universal Prayer-entirely chanted
    Offertorio (SEP)/Parce Domine/Spare Your People Lord
    ICEL preface/EP/acclamations
    Our Father/Snow
    ICEL Lamb of God
    "Non dignus sum" ICEL chanted
    Communio: SEP/"Led by the Spirit" (Hurd/Kingsfold) chanted
    Ashes: Attende Domine
    "With these ashes" Laurence Rosania

Both student body and congregation responded to all with evident fervor and solemnity.
  • At the mid-day Mass, the ashes were distributed after the homily. The same held true for the evening Mass. Having the little worship aids at the noon Mass really helped a lot so that there was no confusion. It was great to have nearly everyone on the same page, so to speak.

At the evening Mass, the organist and I went on pretty much the same order that I used for the noon Mass. The only change that we made was that he chanted Parce Domine as the second hymn for the distribution of Ashes. That worked really well.
  • Church A (where I'm just an accompanist):

Gathering: Hold Us In Your Mercy Penitential Litany by Gary Daigle / Rory Cooney
    Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 51 You Welcome In Me by David Haas
    Gospel Acclamation: Mass of God's Promise by Dan Shutte
    Distribution of Ashes: Ashes by Tom Conry
    Offertory: Turn to Me by John Foley
    Mass setting: Mass of St. Francis by Paul Taylor
    Communion: Eat This Bread by Jacques Berthier
    Sending Forth: Hold Us In Your Mercy Penitential Litany by Gary Daigle / Rory Cooney

Church B (where I choose music):

Liturgy of The Word / Ashes Service
    Entrance: Lord Jesus, Think on Me (Adoremus 364)
    Responsorial Psalm: Ps. 51:3-4, 5-6ab, 12-13, 14 and 17 by Arlene Oost-Zinner
    Gospel Acclamation: Lenten Acclamation No. 1 in Lectionary Psalms
    Distribution of Ashes: Attende Domine (Adoremus 366)
    Closing: There's a Wideness in God's Mercy (Adoremus 613)
  • I took the music used for the Papal Ash Wednesday Mass as my model for what I chose yesterday. I plead guilty to having bid on and, subsequently winning, the Papal Mass booklet for last year's Ash Wednesday liturgy. I used what I could and set the Attende Domine as the offertory hymn, since that is what had been done in Rome. For me, it's not Lent if the Attende Domine is missing in action.

It also meant a lot to me to have our parochial vicar chanting the Attende Domine in Latin along with me.
  • One of my jobs is at an Anglican Rite parish. I used the SEPs for the first time there and had never had so many compliments about how nice the chant in the mass was. They are very simple yet solemn and beautiful.
  • JDE
    At my small Southern parish, we did this:

Entrance: The Glory of these Forty Days (from OCP hymnal)
    Kyrie: Mass XVI (we're planning to use the DuMont starting next week)
    Responsorial Psalm: Respond and Acclaim
    Gospel Acclamation: Respond and Acclaim, to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (anybody else notice this eerie similarity?)
    Distribution of Ashes: An Wasserflüssen Babylon by Pachelbel (because I've had a dreadful cold for a week and sounded like an elderly goose, so I didn't put the congregation through listening to an attempt on Emendemus)
    Offering: O Breathe on Me, O Breath of God (from OCP hymnal)
    Offertory: sadly omitted (see above)
    Sanctus, Anamnesis, Lamb of God: from my own miserable setting, revised for MR3
    Communion: Qui meditabitur in English, from the Palmer-Burgess Gradual, with verses from Communio with English Verses. Comparisons to elderly geese were not spoken out loud, at least not where I could hear them, but the Communion is important, and it was not as vocally demanding as some of the other pieces.
    Also "Softly and Tenderly" from the OCP hymnal.
    Recessional: We Will Rise Again from the OCP Hymnal. This is a parish-wide Mass, and we have to pick things that will please all the ensembles. I would have preferred silence to any hymn, but that won't fly at my parish just yet.
  • JDE, that is why I avoided using the Gospel Acclamation from Respond and Acclaim. That piece is akin to listening to nails slide across a chalk board. The Lenten Gospel Acclamation from David Hurd is beautiful and easy to sing.
  • ryandryand
    benedictgal,

What is the reason for your conviction that the SEP is intended for acapella use only?
  • Up here in the Upper Midwest, at the evening Choir Mass (links to PDFs):

• Choral Prelude: The Days Have Come (SATB adaptation of Advenerunt nobis, Graduale Simplex Introit II for Ash Wednesday)
    • Introit: SEP
    • Greeting and Collect:
    • Responsorial Psalm: Esguerra
    • Gospel Acclamation: Mode II
    • Imposition of Ashes: Immutemur habitu (Nunes García) paired with Psalm 50(51) harmonized (SSA/TTB) Gregorian psalm tone I f, chanted in directum between women and men, with reprise of Immutemur
    • Offertory: SEP
    • Preface Dialogue & Preface: recto tono/simple tone
    • Sanctus: XVIII
    • Mystery of Faith: Missal option C "Save us…"
    • Doxology: simple tone
    • Lord's Prayer: Sacramentary (U.S.A.) in SATB harmony
    • Agnus: XVIII
    • Communion: SEP
    • Communion Hymn: Attende Domine (English translation)
    • Anthems: Hide Not Thou Thy Face from Us (Farrant); Miserere (Lotti)
    • Recessional: Ave Regina Cælorum (Lotti)

The morning Cantor Mass was the same, with the lack of choir pieces and SATB Lord's Prayer, but including the following:

• Imposition of Ashes: "Blot out my transgressions, O Lord" + Psalm 50(51) (Roman Missal; unpublished Mode IV adaptation of the Dele, Domine chant found in the Graduale Simplex)
    • After Mass:
      • Eucharistic Exposition: "O Salutaris" (Duguet)
      • Sung Morning Prayer: in English

This year, both Morning and Evening Masses were unaccompanied.
  • Ryand. Thank you for asking. I have been chanting the SEPs for almost eight months acapella. I have also listened to the Sistine Chapel Choir chanting without accompaniment. There is that sense of returning to sacred music in its purist form.

The human voice is the original instrument. While the organ is, perhaps, the instrument that comes closest to the human voice, chant, as I have experienced it, is best done without accompaniment.

Even if the notes for the organ had been transposed so that they could have been within my range, I still believed that the SEPs would seem better suited without accompaniment.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    This is your opinion, but you spoke as to the intent of the SEP's. How do you understand the exact intent?

Also, to be nitpicking the propers would mean, according to the church's instruction, that your parish already sings the entire mass - the greeting, dialogues, the Lord's prayer, dismissal, the entire ordinary in Latin (including the Creed).
  • Someone above commented on DBP's use of the organ on Ash Wednesday at Mt Calvary in Baltimore. True, in the Roman rite, the organ's use is permitted sparingly if at all during Lent. In the Anglican tradition, though, there is some variety (I hesitate to say 'laxity') in this regard. There is a plenitude of beautiful and fitting organ music for Lent and Holy Week, and it is not at all uncommon to make use of it in Anglican usage. Quite a few Anglican churches follow the norms of the Roman rite during this season, but this is by no means compulsory or uniform in our practice. Much, very much, commends the Roman legislation in this regard, but the evocative spiritual value of penitential organ music is also commendable. The important point in all this is that, if the organ is used, it should be with restraint, and should contribute to the spiritual mood of the season. It seems to me that it would be most appropriate for Roman rite musicians to observe their historic norms, and that those of Anglican Use parishes should be most judicious in their choices if they choose at all to have the organ make a contribution to liturgy of the season.
  • Ryand, I did not mean to get into a fight with you on this. I merely started this thread because what had occurred in my parish was remarkable. We had never had chant before. This was a huge step, albeit, a baby step, but an important one.

I value the organ, but, in the case of the proper, maybe less might be more, as I see it.
  • BruceL
    MJO, you do realize that wasn't DBP's posting, right, but Ryand's?

I too wouldn't support any instrumental music (or postlude) on Ash Wednesday...it is a Lenten weekday. I wouldn't do it on Sundays in Lent, either, but if someone did ONLY AFTER MASS, I suppose it would be justifiable since Sundays are solemnities. However, I think the absence of the Alleluia and Gloria should be a hint to us organists. :)

The solution is to give a Lenten organ recital. Anyone that can't hear the Crucifixion portrayed musically toward the end of Bach's "O Lamm Gott" organ chorale just might have a heart of stone...so why let your parishioners miss out on that?
  • The mannerist employment of faux antibellum etitquette portrays, to these misanthropic eyes, a duplicity that needs as much a moratorium of public display (on the part of the noble aims of CMAA) as was the ersatz internet initiative to ban Haas/Haugen that surfaced some years back. It is poetic justice that I would endorse the heartfelt and honest rejoinder of Ms. Romani to remind the readership of this forum of the Lenten fast that does, indeed, require the subjugation of the organ to accompanimental necessity only. The expiation of exceptions for specific traditions and rites, no matter how informed and doubtless confirmed by copious proof citations, does not address her true concern, namely the homely and honest musical fast on this most unique of all days that serves as a witness to humiliation before Almighty God.
    Ms. Romani's exhortation is not at all condemnatory, but apparently serves as a platform by which liturgical solicitors and barristers can manipulate the legal texts, if for no other reason, in order to distract the reader from the humble point.
    i have the same utmost respect for Ms. Romani as I do any other colleague who has spent upwards of five decades of service to the Church. But with such tenure of service can come a difficult choice: to exhibit a restraint and tolerance for those behind we seniors on the experience trajectory by choosing to not display our experiential prowess (the demeanor of Mahrt immediately comes to mind), or to put the sum of our personal ethos and accomplishment in our own locale, our own petrie dish, on display as if on a billboard for the gazers to assess its verity and viability.
    Ryan, your challenge to Ms. Romani presumes a false premise. She labors with much more challenge than we who are either/and naturally gifted/degreed must deal. If she cannot attest to the conditions of your maxim being in place, I can and do so now.
    I beg the membership of CMAA and the readership of this forum to cease and desist from self-imposing a caste system of doctrinaire-based orthodoxy (which can be abrogated at will with well-cited footnotes of precedence) in order to set up a pecking order and false heirarchy of practicum that cannot be addressed by any words uttered here.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Way to go C in CA - fight flame with flame?
  • Geez, Chuck, I don't know quite what to do with your metaphor. Backfires do, in fact, suppress wildfires. But I don't think that what's you're intimating.
    You are certainly a personality that I would relish being in the presence of, as your directness belies nothing, and that's what I'm personally about.
    What do you want me to say? Let's all pretend that as the movement grows and acquires a demography, that experience, intent, resume et al, must become subserviant to rhetoric and the majesty of a golden tongue?
    If you want either of us to be blatant, just either say to me "J'accuse." Or challenge me to be more direct and say the same to others?
  • ryandryand
    Cool.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Charles, while I'm in sympathy with what you say, it's just that your flamboyant style - with words that are much longer than average and long sentences (e.g. your first two sentences) that take some re-reading to parse - seems to be a bit "more of the same" (but of an elevated, different kind that some might take as a public display, too) to this person, who is rather less erudite than you. Where I come from, we simply try to call a spade a spade - or maybe a shovel - and do it tactfully but not with words that my grandchildren would have to look up in a dictionary.

I do sincerely apologize and did not mean to offend you or anyone else.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've gotta admit, I'm a bit confused as to why some (Charles and JDE) experienced Kyries/Penitential Rites on Ash Wednesday...
  • For the Psalm on Ash Wednesday, we sang the Palestrina-Marier setting of Ps 51. How glorious the "open my lips" sounds with this music.
  • @Ryan, yeah, we cool.
    @Chuck- I'm happy you got the point of the rococo excess. (Lipstick, sow maxim) Noel's been busting me for years on that point, rightly so.
    @MJM: had no choice, parochial vicar initiated the chanted confiteor, hence....
  • I follow the practice during Lent of using the organ only for accompanying voices (and giving pitches to the celebrant). I will play subdued voluntaries on Laetare Sunday and before the Maundy Thursday Mass. I use no organ whatsoever between the Maundy Thursday Gloria and the Easter Vigil.
  • Church of the Holy Innocents, NYC
    Feria quarta cinerum Ash Wednesday

Missa cantata in forma extraordinaria 08:30
    Gregorian Propers from Graduale Romanum
    Ordinary: Mass XVIII from Kyriale
    Prose: Attende Domine
    Marian Antiphon: Ave Regina caelorum (Mode VI)
    Blessed Ashes distributed after Mass

Missa solemnis in forma extraordinaria 18:00
    preceded by Blessing and Imposition of Ashes
    Exaudi nos (Mode VII)
    Immutemur (Mode I)
    Juxta vestibulum (Mode IV)
    Emendemus (Mode II)
    Mass as above

Low Masses in the Ordinary Form were offered at 07:00, 07:30, 08:00, 12:15, 13:15, and 17:00. In addition, ashes were distributed continuously from 07:00 - 19:00 to well over 5,000 people and confessions were heard throughout the day.
  • chonakchonak
    I attended Mass at the chapel in a shopping mall; it's run by Carmelite friars, and there is usually little or no music. But this time I was pleased to hear someone (a cantor? a religious?) sing the "Parce Domine" in English, a cappella, during the distribution of ashes. There must have been a dozen verses or more!
  • I was going to let PaixGioiaAmor do this, but he's not in a bragging mood, I guess. So here's what he did:
    Introit: Misereris omnium Dominum, Gregorian
    Psalm: Jeffrey Quick (I wrote this for Michael O'Connor, but since it was there...)
    Imposition: Parce Domine, Gregorian
    Offertory: Lord, for Thy tender mercies' sake, Farrant (not what we were going to do, but people don't learn their notes)
    Sanctus to Agnus: ICEL chant
    Communion: Qui meditabitur, Gregorian
    Motet: Parce Domine, Obrecht
    Hymn: Lord who throughout these 40 days (St. Flavian)

Re Mt. Calvary: When we manage to silence the instruments in the Roman Rite churches (and not until), we can have an attitude about Anglican Use (if then; I'm a "let a hundred flowers bloom" kind of guy myself). At St. James (which is ACC, not RC). the organ was only off for Holy Week, until the Gloria of the Easter Vigil, and that seemed quite enough. The last year I was there, the power was out in the church but not the parish hall. The handyman/tenor hauled a ton of extension cords out of his truck so there was light at the altar, and a table lamp for the choir, but 240 for the blower wasn't happening. We tried our best to sub for the organ...which fortunately was back on for Easter.
  • CharlesW
    I use the organ to accompany singing, except on Laetare Sunday. So I do follow dear old GIRM.
    It's good to see the Latins fast from the organ, especially since they tend to do so little fasting of any other kind anymore. Probably better that than nothing.

• In the past we have followed the GIRM with regards to the organ in Lent. Now I just subdue it and perform Lenten organ voluntaries that are way too beautiful not to play especially on a fine instrument. During Holy Week we do not use the organ except when necessary for support of singing.

The masses at this parish for Ash Wednesday number five with one mass said.
    All the masses are standing room only serving about 3000 folks.

Mass 10:00 A.M. Parish School (Piano with school student cantors and instrumentalists)
    Processional Hymn The Lord, your mercy does extend, TALLIS CANON
    Psalm Guimont
    Lenten Gospel Acclamation Praise to you, Word of God, Gardner (WLP)
    Imposition of Ashes Deep within, Return to God, Remember your love
    Offertory Improvisation
    Sanctus Mass of Resurrection, DeBryurn
    Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Communion Hymn Adoramus te, Joncas (GIA)
    Recessional Hymn Weekly text. PASSION CHORALE - one verse
    Marked with a cross of ashes a sign of hope and love.
    God Father, Son and Spirit, One God in heav’n above,
    O hold us in your care Lord, throughout these forty days.
    Fed by your Blood and Body, we walk in grace-filled ways.

Mass 12 Noon Cantor and Organ
    Psalm Guimont
    Offertory Improvisation
    Sanctus Mass of Resurrection, DeBryurn
    Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Recessional Hymn Weekly text. PASSION CHORALE - one verse
    Postlude: Soft improvisation on Passion CHORALE

Mass 5:00 P.M. Cantor and Organ+
    Organ Voluntary: O Mensch Bewein Dein Sunden, Bach
    Psalm Guimont
    Offertory Organ: Ich Ruf Zu Dir, Herr Jesu Christ, Bach
    Sanctus Mass of Resurrection, DeBryurn Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Recessional Hymn PASSION CHORALE - one verse
    Postlude: Soft improvisation on Passion CHORALE

Mass 7:30 P.M. Choral Mass+
    Organ: O Mensch Bewein Dein Sunden, Bach
    Choral Introit Remember, Harris (GIA)
    Psalm Guimont
    Universal Prayers chanted
    Imposition of Ashes Miserere Mei Deus, Allegri
    Offertory Anthem O only hope, Salieri (GIA)
    Preface dialogues and preface, chanted
    Sanctus Mass of Resurrection, DeBryurn Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Agnus Dei Vat. Ed. XVIII
    Communion verse (Psalm Tone)
    Recessional Hymn PASSION CHORALE - one verse
    Postlude: Soft improvisation on Passion

+Mass is completely chanted according to the Roman Missal by the priest and deacon except for the Eucharistic Prayer.

• I do owe a lot to the folks at jhoffman's parish who were there when I was a student at the University of Texas. They introduced me to sacred music.
  • Hoffman, you guys have come a long way since I first set foot in the parish back in 1987, when Bill Davis was the director of music. In fact, there are still a few things that I imported from my old parish so that I could use them down here. What I really enjoy using is the Lenten Gospel acclaimed.atkon by David Hurd, as well as Richard Proulx's Mass settings.