Chant Intensive report
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    A quick report on the first day. They gave us a room with a bad acoustic and so the wonderful Loyola staff put us in the main chapel, which was an unbelievable gift. so that's where the first sessions were! I'm substituting here for Arlene, who couldn't be here, so of course I pretty well made a mess of packets and things, but people were very sweet and helpful and by day's end, everyone had all books and bags and things, and we had a great time learning from this wonderful master. The campus is so pretty and the staff is enormously helpful. the dorms are so nice you could make them home, but what has really shocked me is the food in the dining hall. It's like a gourmet restaurant! it's just been splendid.

But you know what is really inspiring? To see fifty people here gathered to study chant for a week with Scott. they already sound fantastic! In any case, these are certainly the chant masters of the future!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey's doing a very good job and Scott is fantastic as a teacher. What is also wonderful is to be singing chant with this great group - and not having to worry about it the way you do when you're directing. Because of Scott's intensive instruction, one is absolutely famished. (OK, I get hungry when I think.) The tasty food will sustain me.

If you couldn't make this summer's events - Intensive or Colloquium, I suggest you start a savings account for next year. It's nice to come in out of the wilderness and be surrounded by folks who are on the same page. Even if only for a little while.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Well, Mary Jane, I do hope the folks attending this year will plan to return next year, too (so I can meet them!). I'm feeling a bit wistful already.
    John Wright took this picture!

• mjballoumjballou
    I hope everyone else made it out of Chicago. At least everyone that was trying to leave. Standing in the standby line at O'Hare, I kept thinking, "If only I'd stayed for next week as well, if only...."

Well, let's see what next year brings. In the meantime, there cannot be enough kudos for all who organized, taught, ran around doing things. It was superb. At soon as I get the audio files cleaned up, I have some of the propers, etc. uploaded on www.mjballou.com. But give me a second, okay?
  • mjballoumjballou
    "Os Justi" is up at www.mjballou.com (which is linked at the end of my postings as Mary Jane Ballou - duh!). Have a listen. There will be more - probably tomorrow.
  • mjballoumjballou
    My recordings are up now over at www.mjballou.com. Just go to the Mass for St. Anthony under Listen and you'll find the introit, gradual, alleluia, and Mass IV. O Gloriosa Domina is also on there. I didn't put up the Communion because there was a lot of foot-shuffling where my Zoom was sitting. Likewise, as thrilling as the Christus Vincit was live - it rather paled on a second listen.

Enjoy! Particularly if you've had a Sunday like mine. Where I subbed today we had "homilettes" before the readings, textual improvisations, etc. The chant is soothing my feathers back into place.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    My recordings aren't up to Mary Jane's quality, but I also do have the Communio and Offertory at my blog...

(Thanks to Mary Jane, I now know how to use the toggle button on my zoom also, so better stuff will be coming forth in the future!)

Janet.
  • miacoyne
    I wanted to share a small success story and thank you for the Chant boot camp (!) with our best drill sergeant Scott from which I got courage to do the following.
    Yesterday my schola sang at the Catholic Family Expo. Mass with Archbishop. We sang pretty well, considering we just started the schola. (Christus Vicit, which I learned at the workshop, was the best. There was a regular choir too.) It was a really good chance to introduce chants to people in this area. Probably many of them never heard chants before. Our chants schola had to sing with David Haas' music side by side. (I took it pretty well.) After the Mass I handed my letter to an assistant to the Archbishop, since he was busy with many people around him. My letter was about my concerns on so called Contemporary Mass. I said this term seems to be used to say that the Mass is focus on Contemporary music and cut off from traditional music. I said it seens to be step backward from what our Holy Father is trying to do, and no church documents support it, and I mentioned a couple of reasons why popuar style music is not helping our faith, etc. I asked him to ban the use of the term, Contemporary mass. (I thought this will be a good first step.)
    Guess what! he called me just now, personally. ( I don't know this is a usual thing, but I never had a phone call from an Archbishop before.) I was very nervous and thought I was done now. He said that the memo was good, and he will pass it to the priest who is in charge of Liturgy and is also concerned on this. (Hooray!) We will see what will come out of this, but at least I was able to convey our thoughts on keeping our traditional music in our liturgy.
    Thank you, CMAA for all your work. I thought you might like to hear some success story after the Chant workshop. I was able to do that because of the workshops, books, articles that you guys put out. I'm in the front line, in a parish with a Contemporary mass and most of people who likes contemporary music. It's a hard work, but I really feel that God is helping us.
    ( I really don't think there should be a Mass called contemporary mass. I do think, though, all the Masses should have at least Ordinary parts in Lain. After all, the Second Vatican council says all the faithful should be able to sing (or say) Ordinary parts in Church's official and universal language. And I was told that one of the responsibilities of music ministry people is to educate the faithful musically and liturgically.)

Thanks and God Bless,
    Mia Coyne

Mary Jane and Janet, I really appreciate your recordings. It was a big help for my schola learning Christus Vincit. Many missed the practices because of their vacations, and we didn't have much time to prepare. The recordings were great help. (the acooustics in the church was terrible, but we sang so well, I think I really heard the echo for a few seconds after the final Amen.)
  • gregpgregp
    Mia, congratulations on your bold move. Some of us would have been "tremens factus sum ego et timeo" before handing a letter like that to an Archbishop. The big question is - will anything come of it?

Our Chant Boot Camp platoon has now all been graduated to "The Green Birettas". Just think of Scott as John Wayne.
  • incantuincantu
    I agree - stop using that term! I'm tempted to call it the "folk Mass" but it will be hard not to appear to be disparaging. On our schedule I simply list the musical forces, e.g. "cantor and guitar."
  • miacoyne
    I think there are two forms we need to specify. But of course you can be nice to give more menu options, such as OF with cantor and organ, etc. But musicians, please stop using the term, Contemporary Mass. It's theologically and litrugically wrong. I think it's just horrible.

( Last night, I was reading 'The Spirit of the Litrugy ' by Pope Benedict. He mentioned about the Eucharist, the eternal union of God and men, and how it trescends the time and space. Contemporary Mass? what does this mean?)

Mia

My boy is in a Marine boot camp right now (SC). It just reminded me. What will come out of it? We can only try. ( As you can tell, English is not even my naitive language. The Archbishop understood my not-so-perfect-English letter. Believe me, it wasn't easy for me to do that.) The outcome is not in our hands. I studied with Dr. Marier long long time ago without knowing what I was doing much ( I just needed credits for my graduation). He passed away without seeing much fruits of his work in his life time. After 20 years, I'm doing all I can with education and inspiration he gave me (I'm sure there are many many whom he influenced.) He planted seeds, and he is harveting in heaven (amd still helping musicians). We might not see the outcome either in our life time.

(Dear grgep. you were in the chant workshop? I wish I know whom I'm taking to. Where are you in the picture? How are you doing with your group?)
  • gregpgregp
    Mia, yes, I was the big ugly guy with braces. (Back row; fourth from the left in the picture).
  • miacoyne
    I knew it was you! How's your schola doing? I made lots of flyers to recruit people from different parishes. Anyone who want to learn and sing Gregorian chant, which is declared by the Church as having its first place in Roman Liturgy, are invited. I sent flyers to different parishes, put an announcement in the local Catholic newpaper (and one of my devout schola and his wife go to different parishes and leave flyers in the back of the church, too). We also started a Latin class(Ecclesiastical) in our parish. We hired an instructor. (We got about 25 people for the Latin class. There are people out there who want to learn more about our Church's tradition.)
    Let us know how you are doing.
    Mia
  • mjballoumjballou
    Greg - you are big and have braces. You are not ugly! Mary Jane
  • miacoyne
    I agree.
    Mia
  • GavinGavin
    What is wrong with the term "Contemporary Mass"? My understanding is that it implies a Mass with contemporary music, the merits of which are debatable, but surely the terminology is not wrong. At any rate, it makes it easy to avoid such Masses for those who don't wish to attend them!
    The case for eliminating the term is really the case for eliminating the fact itself! If it is not going away, I agree that there should be truth in advertising. I've toyed around with using the term Old Rite to describe a Mass with music from the 1970s, but I also see how this could be misleading.
  • miacoyne
    Mass with guitar group might be ok, whehther I like that or not. But Contemporary Mass is misleading. Every Mass is contemporary and eternal according to Pope Benedict. We cannot call a Mass Contmporary Mass, because it has contemporary music. Since when we can name a Mass according to music? As far as I know, music is not the main focus of the Mass. We are definitely misleading the people. There''s a big difference between saying 'Contemporary Mass' and Mass with guitar group, or whatever.
    Also, there are lots of new and contemporary music that are not commercial and pop style. So, are we telling people that all the contemporary music is guitar and pop style music?
    Also, if the the term 'Contemporary mass' used to exclude traditional music, that is also wrong. Every Mass should have some traditional music. Tradition is an imporatant part of our Catholic faith.
    Mia
  • Well then just call it Contemporary Music Mass, but even that is misleading since so much of the music is 15-30 years old. I have names I would use, but they would not be .. pastoral.
  • miacoyne
    medieval (music) Mass, Renaissance( music) Mass, Classical (music) mass, Romantic (music) Mass, Contemporary(music) Mass, New Age (music) mass, Rock (music) mass, Jazz Mass,-- Hmm, feel free to add more.
  • priorstf
    Romantic Music Mass? Nope. Not gonna go there! ;-)
  • miacoyne
    Why not ? Don't like Romantic music? Are there any Psalms
    in Schubert style? How about some Chopin prelude bebore the Mass. Not worse than contemporary (Pop style).
    I wish we can stop all this nonsense someday, and have the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass with the music that is truly sacred.
    There are many artistic and talented musicians in churches. But often times I see they put their artistic values above liturgy, and their pride blind them to see it.

I have to confess I played Chopin at the Mass a couple of times in the past, because I got tired of Josh Groban music. (thankfully I don't play piano at the mass anymore, learned to play organ, instead.) After I played those, people complemented how pretty those music was.(very embarassing, but was happy to hear that) Sadly, when I played Bach, I felt like playing against the wall in our parish. I still had that notion that if I'm playing something, I'd like to have someone actually listen and appreciate it. In our parish, youth group sings Josh Groban's 'You Raised me up' on mother's day Sunday or at the graduation Mass. Sorry, for telling you such a horror stories. As you can tell, I'm really fed up with all these. But it's my parish, I have to do something. Besides, Other parishes are all same around here, or maybe worse. I don't have any other parish to go.