Chant theory Questions: Looking for stylistically fundamental melodies.
  • Moses
    Dear Brothers and Sisters,
    Christ is in our midst!
    I am trying to acquire a better understanding of Plainchant modality, i.e. melodic formulae, use or avoidance of specific intervals, implied progressions, structural considerations for different types of composition (Antiphon/Gradual/Offertory, etc. …), and so on.
    In the vast Plainchant repertory, I would also like to know if there are particular melodies which are considered stylistically fundamental in each mode.
    Any information on these questions, or recommendation of a good reference resource, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your help.
    With love in Christ,
    Moses.
  • RobertRobert
    I would recommend Dom Paolo Ferretti's book, available in the French translation under the title Esthetique Gregorienne (not sure whether there's an English translation out there).
    Thanked by 1Moses
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I don't know if this is anything like what you are looking for, but have you looked at the melodies in Sunol's textbook "Gregorian Chant According to the Solesmes Method", on pp. 40-45?
    Thanked by 1Moses
  • Moses
    Hello Robert and Angela,

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I just went and bought the "Esthetique Gregorienne" on-line, so I should get it in the mail in a couple of weeks, but I downloaded today the "Gregorian Chant According to the Solesmes Method" book, so I'll look at what it has. Thanks very much.

Here is another question, my friends: It is the process of Centonization that I am very interested in. Are there any sources which deal with this process, specifically?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I was going to say that I think Ferretti and Suñol have examples, but I see others have already pointed this out. You also might look in John Boe's 1969 dissertation (The Ordinary in English?), as I think he gives "melodic types."

As you probably already know, the modal system was a theoretical system imposed upon already-existing melodies centuries later . . . so beware of modal mixture !
    Thanked by 1Moses
  • You might contact Fr Columba Kelly at St Meinrad's Archabbey for a good lecture and good references.
    Thanked by 1Moses
  • You might find D. Saulnier's The Gregorian Modes helpful.
    Thanked by 1Moses