SEP layout for Ash Wednesday
  • Is there a way to copy and paste the refrain of the SEPs so that I can include them in our parish worship aids for Ash Wednesday? I tried to do it using the online version, but, it's not letting me.
  • ryandryand
    I usually do screenshots and then format everything in a word processing document.

I'm on a Mac so I can do partial screenshots (shift+command+4). I've also managed on a Windows system while my laptop was in the shop. If that's your situation, get the SEP antiphon opened, push PrintScreen, open Paint, push ctrl+V, and crop until your heart's content.

In either case, paste the resulting image into a word document (make sure to send image to "back," or "behind text"), and have at it!
  • Thank you. I am going to see if this can work.
  • BenBen
    There's several ways to do this, but you'll want to do a screen grab. If you're on a PC, PrtScr will do it, then paste that into Microsoft paint, save it as a PNG or BPM (not jpg!), then crop with your normal photo manipulation software. Make sure to zoom in as much as possible before copying it, so that you get the highest resolution.

There's also an option in adobe reader called "Take a snapshot." Zoom in as much as possible (you might need to do it in two parts), then "take a snapshot" of the needed parts. Then paste it into paint, and follow the instructions above.
  • BenBen
    Looks like ryand and I said the same thing at the same time here!
  • My experience with MAC is to take a screenshot from selection in Preview (for whatever reason have better results than ADOBE) Make the image as large as possible first as this will give you the best resolution. Drag the horse hair over the area you wish to capture. Preview will make a new file. Then save as a .png file (Very important, as mentioned above do not compress to a jpg. will look bad)
    Then simply insert the picture file where you want in your document and a good quality image will result.
    Using copy and paste features from a pdf to a doc will never render well.
    All the best,

Peter
  • BenBen
    I've done this one to show you the results you can get:

http://blog.yankehome.com/sep/ash-wed/

It can work quite well if you're not ready to get into the tex yet (and I'm not ready either, so I know where you're coming from:) )

I've included both the PDFs I used and the resulting PNGs.
  • You guys are angels! Ben, as always, you are my life preserver!!!! The program looks really good now, thanks to you!!!
  • BenBen
    Just an fyi to everyone, here's how I created the original PDFs above. I like this method, since you can choose the width of the lines, and it's typeset on demand for you.

1) Visit Adam's database, and find the tab and line proper you need. In my case, I'll look for the introit for Ash Wednesday, which is on line 16.

2) Scroll over until you get to the column R, where it says on the top "Composed by A. Bartlett." (ie, from Simple English Propers).

3) Copy the text in that cell (cell R16, in my example), and paste it here, replacing everything BELOW the last %%, but not the %% itself. Leaving the header intact is important.

4) Remove the quote marks from the beginning and end which are left over from the copy-paste out of google docs,

5) Adjust the width as needed using the options on the top of the page.

6) Click "Gregorio PDF." Right click on the PDF file that opens up, select "save as..." or whatever the option is on your browser. Then do the screenshot of that PDF.

You now have an SEP antiphon customized to your desired width!