Responding to This Specific Letter of Complaint
  • Hello colleagues,

This letter was sent to my pastor. I am looking for your very direct and specific help at answering the objections layed out within so that he can return to the sender a very good end-product. I think I have some idea where I would go with this but feel I have much to learn from you!

Just FYI, I have been at this parish since August. We have started changing stuff in incrimental chunks after my first whole month there, in which I listened (and played) to the 'great' OCP pieces like 'Gentle Water, Flowing Ocean' and 'Come to the Table', etc... The pastor was responsible for getting rid of the OCP; he asked me to help pick out a hymnal. He decided the Vatican II was 'too much' for his parish but liked the St. Michael. Last Sunday we sang 'Alleluia, Sing to Jesus', immediately followed by a refrain from the SEP Introit. We sang Mass parts from Dom Gregory Murray's 'People's Mass', the Responsorial Psalm from our WLP Misalette, though we had been trying some of the Chabanel Psalms before four or five musicians complained, sang the Mode VI Alleluia, 'Be Thou My Vision' for Offertory, the ICEL Mystery of Faith and Amen response, the Communion Antiphon SEP chant followed by 'Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All, followed by 'O God, Beyond All Praising' as a Recessional hymn. These did not seem like 'boring' hymns to me... Also note, our parish has enjoyed the greatest 12 week period of NEW parishioners, increased giving and attendance in its history, (according to our pastor).
    Thank you! -JIF

Dear Father ________,

I am writing you about my concerns with the changes in the music at _______ Parish. I understand that the music is neither the central nor the most important part of the Mass, but it does contribute to the prayer and sacred majesty of the liturgy.

1. The new St. Michael’s Hymnal does not contain many of the hymns we have previously sung at St. _______. We have effectively lost our repertoire. There are many good hymnals on the market that would improve on the old Music Issue without losing what was good about what we knew.

The new hymnal has effectively eliminated contemporary hymns. All of the hymns written in the years since Vatican Council II were not bad – it seems a shame to toss out the good with the bad. I have a reference below (emphasis added) from Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship, Issued by USCCB, November 14, 2007.

St. Michael ignores many themes that are relevant in our world, such as social justice, mission, and ministry. The few listed in the hymnal are really a stretch to consider them social justice. As just one example, I’ve attached a list from the GIA Gather hymnal on a few topics that are missing from St. Michael.

The new hymnal abandons inclusive language. I don’t understand the reasoning behind this. Inclusive language (when done well) does not take away from the meaning of a traditional hymn, and acknowledges our understanding of “differentness” has changed.

“Inclusive language is far more than an aesthetic matter of male and female imagery; it is a fundamental issue of social justice. Language that is truly inclusive affirms sexuality, racial and ethnic background, stages of maturity, and degrees of limiting conditions. It shows respect for all people. Scripture proclaims the world is created, redeemed, and sustained by the Word of God, and the church attests to the power of language and words, recognizing that words have the power to exploit and exclude as well as affirm and liberate.” Inclusive Language

Why was a hymnal chosen that has no psalmody? While the missal has responsorial psalms, they are not always the best fit for the parish’s liturgy. A hymnal with psalmody would provide an additional resource for worship.

2. We have not been singing the psalm responses in the missal, and have no worship aid. The psalm response was one of my favorite parts of the Liturgy of the Word, with the back and forth action of the choir/cantor and congregation. That is missing now, as the congregation has no clue what to sing. (WHAT???)
    3. Since we have lost our repertoire, there has been not training in learning these new hymns. People often don’t participate when a hymn is practiced before Mass, but my experience is that people do participate more in singing the hymn if they have heard it before it comes up during Mass.

4. Last fall, we had a worship aid – words and music – for the new Mass setting. Once the new Roman Missal was introduced, the worship aid was gone. Now, when we sing a Mass part, we no longer have the music! Not everyone at Mass was there last fall when we had the worship aid. We need a worship aid or a reference to what we are singing.

5. With the addition of the sung entrance and communion antiphons, I suggest that the congregation have a worship aid with at least the words. It is sometimes difficult to follow sung chant, and having the words would make the antiphons more accessible to those listening. (THE MISALETTE HAS THE WORDS AND I'VE MENTIONED THIS SEVERAL TIMES!)

6. I understand we are in a phase of change while implementing the 3rd edition of the Roman Missal. With the additional emphasis on chant, our cantors need more training. I hope this is in the works. Not any choir member can cantor. It takes lots of practice and skill. Has St. _____ considered offering a stipend to cantors? Such a plan would help ensure that qualified, trained cantors are singing.

I’m voicing my concerns because I find the music at St. _______ has become dull and boring. (ARGHHHH!) People are not participating because we don’t know the music and don’t have the music in front of us. I used to look forward to Sunday Mass as a celebration of God’s love for his people. I’m not finding the joy in our current Masses. I thought we “celebrated” the Mass – but lately, the “celebration” seems to be missing.

from 'Sing to the Lord' USCCB 2007

81. The Church needs artists, and artists need the Church. In every age, the Church has called upon creative artists to give new voice to praise and prayer. Throughout history, God has continued to breathe forth his creative Spirit, making noble the work of musicians’ hearts and hands. The forms of expression have been many and varied.

82. The Church has safeguarded and celebrated these expressions for centuries. In our own day, she continues to desire to bring forth the new with the old. The Church joyfully urges composers and text writers to draw upon their special genius so that she can continue to augment the treasure house of sacred musical art.75

83. The Church never ceases to find new ways to sing her love for God each new day. The Sacred Liturgy itself, in its actions and prayers, best makes known the forms in which compositions will continue to evolve. Composers find their inspiration in Sacred Scripture, and especially in the texts of the Sacred Liturgy, so that their works flow from the Liturgy itself. 76 … No matter what the genre of music, liturgical beauty emanates directly from that mystery and is passed through the talents of composers to emerge in music of the assembled People of God.

• Kathy
    This is fascinating. Obviously the letter-writer is no ordinary parishioner but has gone through training of a certain progressive kind. All the more reason not to take it as indicative of the reaction of the parish as a whole, particularly since attendance is showing improvement.

The only suggestion I would consider taking from the letter is to put the worship aids (on cards or something?) back in the pews. It's a needed crutch for another 6 months or so, I think, and so much easier than finding the place in the missalette.

The letter-writer is sensing, accurately I take it, that your pastor and you are a united front. S/he is trying to divide you by making the pastor worried. There is not much you can do about that precisely, except to reinforce the counter evidence such as the attendance increase, which is marvelous. Meanwhile it's a great idea to build solid alliances with lay leaders throughout the parish.

The most important thing, I think, is increased communication between you and the pastor. Have those brainstorming, big-picture discussions that energize everyone. Make plans. Be willing to compromise. Let him know that you support him even when his decisions are different than yours would be. Work for the pastor. At the same time, know your business. Know what the reasons are for what you're trying to accomplish. Find solid examples of success stories in the same strategies and give the pastor reasons to hope in the direction you want to take.

Good luck!!!

Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • I assume that you're being asked to respond by the pastor? If so, I'd go line-by-line and debunk her concerns. Of course, she will not find your response acceptable.

However, if you're not being asked by the priest to respond, I surely wouldn't. The letter wasn't addressed to you and, even if it were, doesn't merit a response because it's ideologically driven.

Adam S.
  • lmassery
    If you are going to respond at all then I would tell her she is right about needing the words for the propers and even mass parts in a worship aid. Thank her for pointing that out. But then I would be sure to argue that Mass isn't a party, but a "Holy Sacrifice" and chant music reflects the solemn nature of that sacrifice. Although chant can even be joyful sometimes. If she finds chant boring, then I imagine she finds the Rosary and Eucharistic adoration unbearably boring. I have found it helpful to relate the ethos of chant to other forms of solemnity that the average catholic can relate to.
  • I would begin by trying to address the underlying issues - the "progressive" ideas, which Kathy has rightly pointed out. (This parishioner will be a tough sell - "rational" ignorance is harder to combat than simple emotional "I don't like this.") You may quote from the more universal documents - particularly (and make a big deal of this!) from Vatican II.

You might point out that the SEP is PROGRESSIVE and MODERN - it is NEWLY COMPOSED and INTENDED FOR THE CONTEMPORARY LITURGY. (I'm using progressive catch phrases here ;) ) I've been trying to make a point to my choir, recently (when they started a conversation about how our pastor is "traditional" - he's not; he's just faithful!) that we want to move forward within the tradition of the Church.

Another thing you could say - to address the "this hymnal doesn't have relevant topics" issue - is that you want to relate your musical selections to the Scripture of the day because you believe that Scripture is the most relevant thing to our world. You could also talk about how "modern psychology shows us that focusing on changing others leads to unhealthy, codependent behaviors, so I prefer to use music/texts/etc. that focus on changing ourselves in order to change the world."

Try to "be on his side" even if he's crazy ;)
  • Ally
    From a similar experience, I would only respond if you feel you need to. You don't want to start a letter-writing war, going point-by-point. Most likely, nothing you write back will satisfy this person. If you have to, it would be nice if you and your pastor wrote a letter back together, reaffirming this "united front" and saying how much you sincerely appreciate her concerns and will take them into consideration - even if it is not much consideration.

(Also...it sounds like you are doing great work!)

Good luck!!!
  • You could just ignore all the negative stuff and point out her very valid point about needing worship aids for the new ordinaries and begin teaching some of the "new" hymns each week before Mass begins. These two things would 1) help all the parishioners with increased familiarity with ordinaries and hymns and 2) let her see that her opinion matters and is taken into consideration. End with a huge thank you!
    Thanked by 2JacobFlaherty BruceL
  • Mass is said to be "a celebration of God’s love for his people." Here is the core problem. The letter writer imagines that the purpose of Mass is to allow God to celebrate him/her.
  • Kathy
    Do you know, I was just given a ton of organ music, and among it all are many numbers of a journal printed in Milwaukee in the 70s, called Gemshorn. O my goodness. It's like looking at the seedbed of creation, the way it chronicles the rise of the "all about me" thinking. No longer is there a divide between secular and sacred! it announces. The assembly is the most important thing! Folk music speaks to the youth of today! etc. Meanwhile a voice will try to speak back: Our young people need a balanced diet, and some of the old music can be useful! It includes reviews of the albums of the Rev. Carey Landry, the Monks of Weston Priory, and the St. Louis Jesuits. It's like a time machine.
  • canadashcanadash
    You must go to our parish! Except that we have not yet purchased these hymnals, so maybe not. I'm glad you posted this because it is what I am and will be dealing with very soon. I would love to know how this letter will be acknowledged. One thing that keeps coming up at our parish is how much education needs to take place to make the people understand the reasons for these changes. May God bless you in this challenge.
  • Liam
    *If* there is no resource for the text cum music of the Ordo that is being used, that's a problem to be fixed pronto, as it is downright inhospitable. It should always be easily available, and no one should have to guess. (It's not clear to me if that is accurate.) There are always people who are new to the parish Mass who will need them. Always. To me, it's incomprehensible when this is not done.

Otherwise, I would not recommend fisking the letter in response. That's just a CYA maneuver; instead, positively explain why what has been done has been done, and what plans there are to improve upon it.
  • *If* there is no resource for the text cum music of the Ordo that is being used, that's a problem to be fixed pronto, as it is downright inhospitable. It should always be easily available, and no one should have to guess. (It's not clear to me if that is accurate.) There are always people who are new to the parish Mass who will need them. Always. To me, it's incomprehensible when this is not done.

Oh, please! Much ado about nothing. Yes, it is good to have such a thing. NO, it is not the end of the world if you don't. People can listen and learn. It has been done for centuries. Please, let's not have these 'dramatics.'
  • ryandryand
    BachLover2 is correct. It is entirely possible, and a large part of history, that people can learn without the printed page.

I occasionally announce where the mass ordinary parts are in the misallete. PIP used to look all of the time, but now only a few... Yet the vocally-inclined (there aren't many) sing along by memory. It only took about one month for this to happen.

• Kathy
    Kinda depends on the setting.
  • Liam
    People are not going to listen and learn if they are visiting - they don't get the benefit of repetition over time. This is especially true in ritual Masses, where the visitors will likely outnumber regulars. Inhospitality to visitors is not a high value for Catholic liturgy. Also, we know that different learning styles means that many people learn visually, not aurally. (This is the same reason, btw, that Missal texts should be available to people; I've heard the people-don't-need-no-stinkin'-visuals from anti-missal(ette) crowd on the left for years, so watching it pop up on the right is a kind of Mobius-strip experience.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Mobius-strip: genius image!

We just started using John Lee's Antiphonal Gloria at some of our Masses. GIA gives reprint rights for congregations, but the reprintable pages have a serious editing problem (omitted key signature). So I didn't have congregational copies made. But it's really easy to follow, just reading the text and singing with the cantor. So it all depends.
  • Liam, let's follow your argument and see where it goes. A visitor comes. By the time he picks up the sheet for the 'Holy Holy' or 'Mystery of faith' or 'Great Amen' and tries to sightread, it's already over ... isn't it? So it it would be better to simply pray and meditate. Please don't bring 'inhospitality' into this. What is 'inhospitable' is the letter JIF received. People learned by listening for centuries.
  • Hi all, Liam.

Just a little more information, we do have the WLP Missalette which contains the texts for the Entrance Antiphon (Introit) and Communion Antiphon on the same pages as the readings for any given week. This has been pointed out several times.

Also, we have been using the Dom Gregory Murray Mass setting since September, even through Advent and Christmas (arghhh). We had, up to the point of the issuance of the new Roman Missal, sheets in the pews that contained the notes for the particular Mass settings, of which the 'Lord Have Mercy', 'Holy, Holy', and 'Lamb of God' had almost the SAME tune. We put these away so that we could fit text for the new translation in our pews. Currently we have that sheet, several WLP Missalettes and a few St. Michael hymnals in every pew and it already looks unseemly. But I concede that we could put this music in the back somewhere where people could take it if they so desired. The funny thing is, on different issues, I'm told that "nobody knows how to read music, anyway." I guess that's not across the board.

More alarmingly on all of this is the mis-reading of the term 'active participation'. The whole notion that if one isn't performing some action or doing something then one isn't praying, or, more commonly, one isn't "getting anything out of it" is paralyzing and is the SINGLE BIGGEST PROBLEM in our modern Masses, in my opinion. What do you all think? I'll explain my opinion in a later post... -JIF
  • +1 BL2, sorry KLS.
    *Mahrt has expounded upon the rote reality at length for years in lectures. Different eras, yes. Nonetheless still viable.
    *We're probably one of only maybe two or three parishes in the world using a very locally composed ordinary setting. Since we're retooling and retraining congregational "etiquette" with Missal/Hymnal/pew card necessities, I'm not going to put another sheet into their hands if only for the reason BL2 mentions above. Solution: the other form of chironomy, tho' not ideal, which IS working. We have forsaken doing the setting SATB, the melody is chant-like and motivically accessible. Ergo, I'm doing something I've avoided, visibly cantoring from the left transept minor pulpit, using a chironomy that also indicates the contours of the melodies. I've had a number of parishioners thank me for leading them thusly. Eventually, I hope to return to the choir when it's clear the enjoinment is substantially evident.
    *Parishes don't come in cookie cutter uniformity. In our processes for our four parish cluster, we came down to four settings, the one above, the ICEL, Simplex and Bolduc St. Ann. We don't pass out parish bulletins until after Mass, pastor's mandate. These are contingencies that each parish and DM deal with on a normal basis. OCP is also one of those realities. I really don't have a beef with OCP content save for their penchant for offering lowest denominator ordinary settings for decades, needless space taken up by dunderhead psalter and Landrey-esque level alius canti that could be filled nicely by chant hymns or any number of major proper settings, not paraphrases. So....
    *Hospitality has more to do with many other behaviors other than making sure there's a visible access to ALL musical aspects of worship. In an ideal world.....YMMV
    Thanked by 2[Deleted User] Kathy
  • My frustration with letters like this isn't the content, believe it or not.

It's the fact that it's a letter, and someone out there didn't have the respect to approach me and speak to me about their issues. Going over your head to the pastor, without opportunity for response, is cowardly. The pastor should ignore it unless the parishioner can be a grown up and come speak with you personally.
  • Andrew -

I sent you an e-mail, at your request. I fear it may have ended up in your spam! Let me know if you got it.

Sorry everyone - we now return to our regularly scheduled discussion -

Oh, and - I'm so GLAD I'm in a place where I deal with ZERO of this junk anymore.
  • redsox1
    I agree with Andrew. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with the person directly, and in person. I would absolutely not answer in writing.

Point1 appears to be emotionally driven. I would not try to argue the point. You'll just keep going around and around.

In terms of point 2, I would just make sure the page for the readings and proper texts was announced before the opening hymn.

Point 3 could be addressed through having the choir or cantor sing the first verse of a new hymn alone, after, of course, a full exposition of the hymn tune as an introduction. You might do a new hymn for a couple of weeks in a row.

In terms of point 4 I would maybe put back the cards with the new Mass setting, at least for another couple of months.

Give honest reflection to point 6. The point may not be relevant and could be just "sour grapes." However, listening to chant rendered poorly is pretty brutal. Your singers need to be up to this. If they need additional help, are there any local chant workshops your singers could benefit from? Also, not knowing your background, are you a singer? If your primary focus is organ, you might want to bring in a good vocal person to work with your cantors on technique. Chant is all about line and breath control.

If this individual wishes to meet with you personally, I would take the time and hear them out. You'll definitely come out ahead. Good luck!
  • Remember, too, that Sing to the Lord is only authoritative when it cites the documents of the Holy See. Sing to the Lord does not bear any recognitio from Rome. In fact, in areas where it contradicts Rome (additional tropes for the Agnus Dei), the Holy See obviously supercedes it.

Interestingly enough, the same USCCB that voted on Sing to the Lord had this to say about the criterion for hymns:

"The Day of Pentecost Arrives
    Verse 3: Our inhibitions make us die to you and to our friends.
    Aren’t some inhibitions actually good, enabling us to live for God and our friends?

Let all Mortal Flesh
    The first and third verses of this hymn have been altered to eliminate apparently archaic language and in inclusive the text. The original text said: Christ our God to earth decsendeth and As the Light of light descendeth—present tenses. These, however, have been changed to past tenses[descended] to eliminate the archaic language, causing the loss of the critically important notion of Christ’s continuous coming among us, especially in the Holy Eucharist.

Sing Praise to Our Creator
    The original text spoke of being “baptized into his grace,” but was changed for the sake of vertical inclusively to: “baptized in living grace.” What does this mean?"

Thus, even the USCCB, according to this power point presentation, has found inclusive language to be a bit of a problem.

I am trying to attach the powerpoint, let's see if it works.

• Want to hear something interesting, BenedictGal (You may or may not have realized this)?

In the document you cite, one of the people contributing to that discussion and signing off on it is none other than Robert Batastini - now retired editor at GIA! GIA was and is, of course, one of the publishers that alter texts! How interesting to see him agree with these points and then do the opposite at his company.
  • Talk about someone speaking from both sides of his mouth. This is not good.
  • Liam
    Then do not complain when you receive a complaint about the lack of visual aid, or people just don't sing. Just sayin'. You buys the problem. Maybe that tradeoff is worth it where you are; I've yet to behold a situation where that is the better solution. YMMV.
  • Liam, Red Sox, and Others,

Liam, respectfully, I think you're missing the tone of this post and the follow-up comments. I do think she has a point in her complaint about not having the Mass parts written out, and I will concede that providing these in the back of church would not be a great difficulty. But notice the end of her post: She says that the music at the parish "has become dull and boring." All her other complaints; music is difficult, music is new, cantors are bad and not well-trained, etc... all are summed up really in these last words of her's. She doesn't like chants and more traditional hymns.

Red Sox, I am trained in voice and in the organ. I've been trying to work with the cantors, but there are a few caveats here. There never used to be any cantors here really, just groups of three or four who were ALWAYS out-of-tune with each other and who delighted in singing strange, OCP syncopated folk tunes. In other words, they were never truly good-sounding, even when they did the music they "knew" or "liked". I am planning on coming to the Colloquium to pick up instruction on how to better teach chant, as it is a relatively new thing to me as well, besides the Holy Thursday 'Missa di Angelis' we would do as a parish choir back when I was in grade school and high school.
  • Liam
    I was focusing on the one potentially valid complaint from congregants and visitors (it's always important, when considering complaints, to pay close attention to the part that may be valid/true, if it's surrounded by stuff that's much less clearly so; I find church folk are often pretty bad at doing this, for some odd reason - there seems to be something in the holy water that invigorates the dismissive muscles of the arm or brain). Working with the partial truth gives you more latitude to finesse or ignore the rest; and that was the point of my initial response in this thread.
  • incantuincantu
    What matters most is that the pastor supports what you're doing. Arguing with a parishioner is not likely to get you anywhere. If a response from you is expected, a nice little note card sincerely thanking the parishioner for their feedback might be all that is necessary.

One thing I've learned since I discovered CMAA is that Alleluia Sing to Jesus is really not that much better than Glory and Praise to Our God. Of course musically, yes. But neither is the the proper text for the introit, and neither is the musical style that is normative in the Roman Rite. It sounds like there are many changes that do need to happen at your parish. Take it slow (very slow!) and choose your battles carefully. If they were not already singing sturdy hymns, it might not be worth it to try to introduce them.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I strongly disagree with those who took offense at the fact that it was a letter, or would have preferred to be addressed in person. *Perhaps* the letter writer could have addressed it to the music director instead of the pastor, but I think some of you are way-misreading the fact that it came in the form of a letter.
    Many people, myself included, find that we can communicate MUCH more articulately and thoroughly in a letter format. When I talk to someone in person, especially if what I have to say is very serious or complicated, I often can't remember what I was going to say, or miss several of my points (as obviously, that letter had a great deal of points that would have been difficult to remember in a conversation!) or I just can't think of the right words. Even if the letter writer had come to you in person with a written list of complaints, to talk to you about, I would go as far as to say that it was *generous* of him/her to similarly give you the opportunity to think through your responses and write a letter back, instead of putting you on the spot in a verbal discussion!
    So, with that being said, for starters, I'd recommend that you assume the best of the letter writer and not get offended by the format as some posters have suggested! (since, your pre-determined antagonism will likely come out in your response if you are not careful!)

Also, I'd disagree with those who recommended *not* responding. If someone takes the time to put their thoughts down on paper, and clearly cares deeply about what they said, then I think the least you do is the politeness of a response! Not only is it the respectful thing to do, but I'm going to be more optimistic and suggest that along with some of the very helpful points discussed in this thread, you could compose quite a well-thought-out letter which I'm sure at the very least would give the recipient some excellent food for thought. As pointed out above, the original letter IS by someone who seems educated and aware, and I'm sure would appreciate a point-by-point response.
  • redsox1
    I would still recommend that the response be an invitation to meet for a face to face meeting, precisely because I think things can be misread in written format. That's one big problem I have with excessive texting and emails- technology is creating "virtual communication", and as a result, we're losing the skills to TRULY communicate with one another. Let's not add to the problem! Offer to meet at a "neutral" site, maybe over coffee. Find common ground first-mention specific concerns you feel you can address without compromising your principles. Then, see where the conversation takes you.
  • Incantu,

Thanks for writing. I understand that 'Alleluia! Sing to Jesus' is not the Proper text for the Mass, but to suggest it is no better than 'Glory and Praise to Our God' is a bit of a stretch. The text is 'high church', adoring God through attributing to Him what is His! If we are unable or unwilling to say that one hymn is just as good as another, both via music AND text, then we have lost our way in this relativistic world, in my opinion. Is 'All Hail Adored Trinity' the equal to 'Anthem'? Obviously, the Proper text is 'proper'...but the scenario suggested - of me having the people sing 'Gentle Water, Flowing Ocean' and then moving directly into SEP Introits and Communion Antiphons only seems like a GREAT stretch. What do others think of this?

I think the Vaughan Williams 'At the Name of Jesus' accustoms the people to a higher musical sense and so will LEAD them to embrace an ever higher musical sense of sacred chant.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • I spent more than 30 years as a sports official trying to discern the real issue behind an angry coach's screaming from just the static. Although the complaint registered to you is quite formal, I agree with those who have said that the best way to handle it is with a face-to-face meeting.

There are legitimate complaints -- where is the printed music for the new Mass text? where is the printed music for the responsorial psalm? -- that you can offer to fix right away, and offer thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if the change in music to which she refers has been explained to your parish in a way that speaks to the more "progressive" attitude expressed in the letter. Relying on technical matters of authority and appropriateness -- "Sing to the Lord is only authoritative when it cites the documents of the Holy See" and "neither is the the proper text for the introit, and neither is the musical style that is normative in the Roman Rite" -- will be ineffective on a whole array of levels. He or she knows the documents too.

I don't know this person's age, but to someone my age (60) recollections of chant are often of it done very badly in parishes that would not pay more than a pittance for musicians. It was surely dull and boring, and it's up to you to make it not so if you feel it important that the parishioners accept the musical changes at your parish with any level of enthusiasm.

My last thought: Fr. Andrew Greeley, no conservative he, once wrote that it was a long way from chant to the St. Louis Jesuits, all downhill. (Now the SLJ's are among the best of the contemporary idiom, given that most of their songs are scripturally based, but I digress ...) But I fear that you may be trying to make a 180-degree turn -- from OCP to one of the new traditionalist hymnals -- on a dime. It took decades to get to where your letter-writer is now. What you are convinced doesn't follow the rules and is ghastly besides may just be what has formed your letter writer and nourishes his or her faith. Between August and today is a very short period to do what you are trying to do. Your complainant won't come to agree with you tomorrow, no matter how much coffee you drink together!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RPBurke,

Your point is thoughtful and intriguing. I would have to say I agree with it. I also know that my pastor and I are changing things, and probably quite quickly, though there are still things I would never do on my own that we are or will be doing to 'satisfy' the crowd that longs for it; i.e. singing 'On Eagles' Wings' the first Sunday of Lent (which I despise with a strong passion) and doing the Taize 'Jesus, Remember Me' as the closing hymn each week of Lent.

However, as I see it, and, as the Church sees it, the decades of error are still that - error. I am 30 years old and I don't intend on turning 80 before I see improvement. As friends and family around me are dropping away from the Catholic Faith like flies because of the lack of spiritual nourishment, I prefer to stand and ideologically fight the good fight to try to show them the richness (never offered to them in the places they attended the Mass) of our Faith so that they may love it more. I have more fallen away Catholic friends and family than still-Catholic friends and family. Is this not sad?

I do this not so they can just be a member of our 'club' but so that their life and life behavior might change to line up with the call of Christ. I have fire in my belly, and I try to be very diplomatic with those in my parish, but still, the fire is always present. There are so many parishes and priests out there playing with these people's souls by doing, frankly, whatever the hell they want, by participating in the ego renewal and by being 'Fr. Friendly'.
  • RPBurke:

I do think that it is important to use the documents of the Holy See when discussing music. A lot of people may not be familiar with them. The author of the letter may not even know that Sing to the Lord is only binding when it cites the documents of the Holy See.

Citing the documents is also quite helpful because it does not make the argument that the music director and the pastor are making changes to the music based on their personal opinion, but, rather, through an informed process.
  • francis
    Most critical documents of the HS are here on this website. Benedictgal is right. STTL is not a binding document, but then it does have some things that are actually pointing people back toward the Church's mind on musica sacra.

• chonakchonak
    Would it be helpful for the letter to inspire some instruction about sacred music -- either by the pastor or by the music director (as a column in the bulletin)?

I think the letter writer's ideology of "inclusive language" might deserve to be addressed specifically. The Holy See has directed that it not be used in the new Mass translation, for various reasons; it's only fitting that we follow the same principle and not apply that ideology to the classic hymns we sing.
  • GavinGavin
    Others have said it, but I'll back it up: it was addressed to the pastor, let the pastor worry about it and take his own concerns to you.
  • The letter complains about both the "what" (inclusive language, loss of repetoire, boring music, loss of "relevant themes") of the recent musical changes as well as the "how" (removal of mass setting music, insufficient worship aids for responsorial psalm, no words for antiphons--presumably when the SEP antiphons differ from the missal antiphons, unclear expectations for congregation). Although it seems that some of the facts are in dispute, I have more sympathy for the complaints about "how" the changes have been than I do with the criticisms about "what" was changed.

I agree with pretty much everything that Liam has said.
  • Thanks, Joannes.

Agreed, she does seem to be talking about the what AND the how. I will admit, it has not all been perfect on the how side. I already agree with the Mass setting complaint; I could have easily left some copies of the Mass setting out, though the lady complaining has, in fact, been there since the beginning of us singing it, now entering 1/2 year territory. So while some visitors may feel "left out", that does not rightly describe her.

It does not seem necessary to do the exact Psalm tune written in the Missalettes, though we're going to try it. But I will not feel too guilty for this. Also, every time we've used the SEP, (for the few months we've done it), they've always lined up with what's in the Missalette; this announcement has been made several times that the people can follow it. What other expectations for the congregation have been unclear? Both priests have written extensively about sacred music in the bulletin, I have, etc...
    Thanked by 1Ioannes Andreades
  • chonakchonak
    It would be good to make the psalm refrain available to people, if it's not printed in the missalette.

One parish I know puts the hymn numbers in a box on the front page of the parish bulletin, and lets people take a copy on the way into church. One could add the psalm refrain too!

Considering how many of us musicians lament that few parishioners can read music notation, it only makes sense to encourage those who can.

• I suddenly realized the only thing none of us (including me) has thought to suggest...

In addition to everything else - PRAY! Pray for wisdom and guidance and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • BruceL
    From my experience, here is my advice...I've actually had to deal with all of these issues with varying levels of support from a pastor (that's not necessarily bad, but it is what it is.)

1) You should respond, and probably with a post letter if that's how it was sent. Explain that they have clearly written a well-reasoned letter which took a great deal of time to put together, and you respect that. Invite them to an in-person meeting, or perhaps offer to treat them to a meal/coffee/beer/whatever. Give them all your contact info, even maybe a cell number.

2) I would NOT address all their concerns point-by-point. That is my preferred way of doing things, actually, but I find it gets you absolutely nowhere. Plus, they may try to misconstrue what you write if you are less than lucid in your writing! Some people have "document-phobia": as soon as you cite sources, they somehow think you are crazy. Can't explain that.

3) I'm never sure that strophic hymns > praise songs, etc., unless there is a measure of doctrinal error involved. It really is a matter of aesthetic there, and while I would prefer to basically use the Hymnals 1940/1982 at my place of work, it ain't gonna happen, and it wouldn't be right for the place, either. Don't forget that hymnody is not an integral part of the Mass in the Roman Rite, period. If it's a question of chant and derivative forms vs. something else, then of course the chant should get support. Just be very careful about the aesthetic: pastor's support is essential, and a good amount of catechesis is as well.

4) That brings me to the final point. Do you need a worship aid, absolutely speaking? No. Do you need one if you are changing repertoire a great deal from the previous regime? No...unless you want it to be successful! Really, I can't overemphasize how important this is. If it is done well it serves to a) let everyone know what's going on; b) offers an opportunity for written catechesis (or general info) about the music and liturgy; c) will be a bone you throw to people who are convinced you don't care about that nice little loaded term "active participation". In all seriousness, though, the worship aid should be made in such a way that it encourages interior and exterior participation. This depends a lot on how much time you have, but don't neglect it.
    Thanked by 1PMulholland
  • *If* there is no resource for the text cum music of the Ordo that is being used, that's a problem to be fixed pronto, as it is downright inhospitable.
    Sorry, guys, I'm with Liam here. Granted, I'm not your typical PiP maybe, but when I travel (and especially as I began this Catholic journey) I am constantly frustrated at not knowing local practice. Y'all want my FCAP, I want to sing (because, duh, I'm a musician and it's what I do), but since you haven't given me whatever jingle the Ordinary is set to, I'm singing softly because I am guessing what the next note is... and it doesn't matter that I'm usually right, predictability being what it is. And these places don't give out the bulletin until you leave because you might find it has more catechetical content than the homily, so even if it were there, it wouldn't help.

It isn't a big deal. Let people have what you want them to sing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It is hard isn't it.
    I'm in a very similar situation and like you, I'm in my early 30's. We want to push forward with the right program, but we can never overlook the massive disconnect that exists with people and the the Roman Rite. It has become intensely subjective for clergy and laity and that is very hard to overcome. If people want aids in the pew, then by all means go all out and produce something they can use that will help you.
    A common thread we have heard is the need for catechesis on the subject. This needs to be done from the pulpit a couple times a year with regard to music and the liturgy. Other than that we tend to attract the same people to our talks on Sacred Music. (Always preaching to the choir....)
    I agree that you should write a letter in response and it should be a general letter answering the very important concerns and thanking them for actually caring about the subject. (Our parish suffers more from apathy than anything else, in this regard)
    You should be making efforts to hold conferences on music and the liturgy and be sure your letter writer is invited.
    My 2 cents, for a very common difficulty. I'll pray for your situation, please pray for mine and everyone else that is trying solve this problem.

Peter
  • marajoymarajoy
    The original letter writer is the one who first brought up church documents, so I would gladly throw some back at her!-- it seems perhaps she *is* the sort of person who *might* appreciate that!
  • Unless I've misread the letter, Joy, the only reference cited is SttL, which is hardly a "Church" document frankly, and to this interpreter, indicates a rather Jonny-come-lately POV to the party.
  • Marajoy:

Perhaps this letter-writer may not be aware that SttL is not really binding unless it refers back to documents that are. There is a lot of misunderstanding about that document and it would help if the correct information were given.
  • ryandryand
    Can your parish afford to buy a few hundred copies of a $2 pamphlet? Get "The Mass of Vatican II," put copies in the pews, and do all Latin ordinaries.

The entire mass is clearly laid out in this (more than I've ever seen), and there's no legitimate complaint to be leveled against it.

Respond to the letter with a signed copy of the pamphlet.

Problem?
    640 x 640 - 49K
  • JIF, when I read your original post I immediately thought of Dennis Maynard's book "When Sheep Attack" about the all-too-common problem of members of a church attacking the pastor or a staff member. The main point of the book is that one has to avoid at all costs what he calls 'triangulation'--when a person goes to your pastor/boss and does not come to you with their 'concerns' and thus sabotages your authority, work, and job (or in the pastor's case, goes to the governing board or whoever has authority over him).

It sounds like you and your pastor have a good relationship; I would encourage you to keep it that way, as much as you can. Is it possible to suggest to your pastor that he encourage people to take their 'concerns' directly to the person about whose work they are speaking (criticizing)? Many people like to 'jump the chain of command' because they know that they can getting a bigger bang for their complaints; however, your pastor has delegated to you the responsibility for the music, and people ought to understand that.

I think that there has been much good advice written here. The one thing of which I am leery is sitting down with this person and trying to talk with them, as there is no accountability that way for the truth of the conversation to be known. If this person is unhappy with what you say, he/she can go back to the pastor and say "He said such-and-so" which just increases the triangulation and puts you and your pastor in an even more difficult place. I would be more comfortable with a joint letter thanking him/her for their suggestions and pointing out what you have done to address them (the concrete ones such as having the Mass setting available, having the psalm refrain available, and so on), and perhaps you stopping this person after Mass some day and reiterating that you appreciate their suggestions, just a short conversation, not a rebuttal. (I agree with Jeffrey about the frustration of having to try to figure out how the music goes without the visual; and even people who say they don't read music have an instinctive grasp of up vs. down, long vs. short, and so having some visual clue is very helpful.)

YellowRose gives the most important advice: Pray! Pray without ceasing for discernment, for compassion and gentleness even while doing the work that needs to be done. And be patient--you have made a great deal of change in a short time, but that change has been compounded in many persons' minds by the implementation of the new translation of the Missal and they are grasping for the old and comfortable (like slippers). We should all pray for each other and for the pastors and congregations we serve, lest we start thinking it's all about us and what we think is right and good.

Thank you for starting this discussion; it was a very gutsy thing to do!
    Thanked by 2PMulholland CHGiffen
  • marajoymarajoy
    It doesn't matter that the letter writer "only" quoted STTL... The point is, even if she is misguided and doesn't understand the authoritative levels of documents, clearly she has *some* respect for them, and this would be a great opportunity to enlighten her on other more authoritative ones...