can the altar be moved?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Not a chant question, but one that came to mind as I was gazing at the altar during my daughter's first confession this morning…

In a church with both a "high" altar and another "forward" altar (table-like… not sure of the appropriate term) at which Mass is celebrated versus populem, can the forward altar be moved at all so as to permit ad orientem celebration at the high altar without an obstructed view? Or are both altars by law permanent and immovable?

And if so, must the ad orientem celebration (whether OF or EF) be in front of the forward altar, or can it be at the high altar?
  • chonakchonak
    Many free-standing altars are lightweight enough to be moved, and I've seen them moved routinely - usually into a sacristy - to facilitate the use of a high altar.
  • henry
    Is permission needed to celebrate ad orientem? I seem to recall that the priests on EWTN were ordered by the local bishop to say Mass facing the people.
  • Mike R
    My home parish used to have Christmas, Easter, First Communion, and Confirmation Masses in our parish gym. They would move the altar over there, and on Good Friday would use a much smaller table in its place in the church for the service. Doesn't necessarily mean it was licit, but it was done.

And Henry, I believe the EWTN case was that the bishop had required versus populum for televised Masses. I know that specific permission is not required to have Mass ad orientem, and I'm pretty sure that a bishop could not offer a blanket ban of it, either.

• Bishops and blanket bans: a bishop (or a priest) bans whatever he pleases, with or without authority and authenticity; to wit, the banning of Latin or chant, etc. in contravention of the express will of the Vatican Council and papal teaching. And of course they DO expect that THEY will be obeyed!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Please "mouse over" THIS PICTURE

Taken from here.
  • Jeff, I'm incredibly jealous now.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In my home parish, we would move the Altar each week. It took us YEARS to figure out that the best place to put the Altar was in front of one of the side Altars. After each Mass, we had to move it back for the Ordinary Form Mass.

• hartleymartin
    The current edition of the GIRM 295-310

In 298 it states that it is desirable to have a fixed altar, but a movable altar is permitted.

When in doubt, search for appropriate references in the relevant documents. The GIRM is a central source, as well as Lumen Gentium and Musica Sacrae. I'm sure that there are plenty more, but these will suffice for most questions.

If you have a movable altar, you do need to be conscious of where it is put when not in use. Remember that it is a sacred object and needs to be treated with dignity.