Stations of the Cross - alternate text for "Stabat Mater" tune?
  • Hello to all,

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for quite a while. My apologies if the following has been discussed before!

I'm looking for an alternate text to sing to the traditional "Stabat Mater" tune at Stations of the Cross. I have in mind verses that DIRECTLY reflect the station just said. For example, after the 8th station I want a text that addresses Christ's consoling of the women (instead of a devotional to Mary, who is not mentioned in that station). And so on for the remaining stations...

Any leads? Thanks!

-Brad

• Paul_D
    Sore was the suffering borne by the body of Mary’s Son.

But sorer still to him was the grief

that for his sake

came upon his mother. (S. Barber, Hermit songs)

The Via Crucis is a devotion intertwining the Lord’s Passion with the passion of his mother. At the stations, we contemplate his suffering; between the stations, hers. They are inseparable, woven together in a mysterious way, that only contemplation privileges us to glimpse every so faintly.

We prefer order, with everything logically connected; but sometimes, as in this great devotion, allow the slight “looseness” of station and Stabat to spark the non-linear leap of insight. Good to be reminded that we haven’t got it all figured out while contemplating mystery.
    Thanked by 1canadash