How do I introduce sacred music to my parish?
  • Greetings from Canada.

I'm not sure where to post my question, so here goes. I've been following the discussions on this forum and I'd like advice from any of you on the best approach to take in bringing sacred music to my Catholic parish.

My local parish was formed in the mid-1960's and most parishoners consist of retired folk, and some elderly. Young adults and children are few. I am sure there are many other parishes in Canada and the U.S. that are in a similar situation. The only hymnals available are Glory & Praise. The parish has used this for "decades" and has never purchased the Catholic Book of Worship (I, II and III).

Our parish seems to have a number of "groups" that do the music liturgy on some kind of rotational schedule. There is a "choir" that claims it sings "traditional" music. The other groups are all "guitar groups", sometimes accompanied by bongo drums.

I spoke with one parishoner about the music liturgy, but the mere mention of sacred music brought confusion, if not a hostile reaction, as if I was trying to turn the parish back to pre-Vatican II. I was told to "get with it". The choir and guitar groups in my parish sing very poorly, and tend to sing the same few hymns over and over again through the year...every year...for years.

Now, I have had 10 years of classical piano training, and a little training on pipe organ. I also participated in two choirs, one in another city, and one in my own city that sings authentic sacred music - at another parish. I'm currently unable to sing in the latter choir. This latter choir sung Gregorian chant, and other forms of sacred music appropriate for the Mass. Our choir director is university educated and understands all the propers, etc.

I get the fealing the whole music ministry has become a dictatorship of secular music, and the priest has done nothing to change anything. But then I feel that most people might be open to hearing sacred music, and are just too scared to speak out.

I'd like to introduce sacred music to my parish, but I'm really unsure of the best approach to take, or how to do it. Even if I started out real simple, perhaps helping out at even just one Mass per month, that would be fine. It is not my desire to take a selfish attitude of wanting to introduce music, so that things are done my way. I believe the the focus of the Mass is the Eucharist. We celebrate the Eucharist as a community, and to give praise and thanks to Jesus.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have. Please note that this is my first post to this forum.

Thanks in advance, and God Bless,
    Dirk
  • gregpgregp
    Dirk, welcome and thanks for asking the question, which most of us have faced at some point. Without firm and unwavering support from the pastor (which it appears you don't have), I think the best approach is to find a safe, non-threatening niche that you can start doing something different from the bongos. This will let the people who hunger for something more know that something else exists, and that you are willing to do it. It could be a Communion chant from the SEP, or something else which you can 'slip in' without riling anyone. Start slow, do little things well, and have patience.
  • Liam
    Two thoughts:

1. Don't aim for the Mass first.
    2. Aim for the Liturgy of the Hours (vespers, most likely, one Sunday a month or once a week or whatever) or devotions like Eucharistic adoration or, and here Lent is perfetto, the Stations of the Cross on Fridays in Lent or just during Holy Week.

In other words, add to what's there. Without the pastor's support for replacing what's there, being additive is the only plausible route.
  • canadashcanadash
    Good advice! I understand your predicament. Good for you for trying! Begin slowly. Again, it's tough with the pastor's support and absolutely frustrating, if not impossible, without it.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here's an hour-long movie you can watch for free:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/cmaa/

However, because of your question, I suggest you get the DVD which contains a LONG interview with Dr. Mahrt, who addresses the question you have.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Great comments. I've also had luck doing Holy Week liturgies, because:
    - other groups are sometimes too stretched to cover them, and
    - parishioners can welcome something that sounds a bit more serious and thoughtful.

That said, the danger is that people can associate chant with being depressed...
  • Liam
    "That said, the danger is that people can associate chant with being depressed.."

Yes. It's a major reason chant should generally not be initiated during penitential seasons if it's not appeared in any meaningful periodic way outside that context. Because it's likely to be ghettoized there. Seriously. (And, while we don't have to chant like we are on speed, in general there has been a common problem with chant being done more slowly than it ought in the parish context and it has given it a doleful association that is of course not merited but for that problem.)
  • I'm in a somewhat similar parish, and quite frankly I am holding my breath until I can move, because the other parishes nearby are not any better.

I still sing in the "traditional" choir, but if we go a couple of weeks without having at least one happy-clappy praise-n-worship "hymn" in the mix, we get complaints that the music is "joyless" and "puts everyone to sleep"... Just hoping I can move soon.
  • Hi everyone.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, which have all been helpful.

Liam, I think your approach may work, since vespers are not being held in our parish. We do have adoration, however. I will see what I can do.

JMO, thanks for the link to the video. I will take a look at this, and will consider obtaining the DVD.

VermilionSparrow, you are not alone. But don't give up.

Some encouraging news - in the past year I've already met three young seminarians (in their twenties, JP II generation) who support and sing sacred music. They are not into happy-clappy hymns, and are not into guitars and bongo drums.

God bless,
    Dirk
  • Liam
    Dirk

Good. Also, in terms of Masses, target those not currently served by the regular musicians: First Friday/Saturdays (people attending those may be more receptive?), holydays and solemnities during the week, et cet.
  • Liam,

Good point. I'll have to check, but I suspect those Masses are not served by them.