Music Directors poll - do you attend a weekend Mass at a different church?
  • lmassery
    I would like to hear from you music directors about whether or not you are able to attend a Sunday Mass at a parish other than the one you work at. I play 4 Masses per weekend and would love the opportunity to go to Mass somewhere else, but am unable to do so. I feel that it is bogging down my spiritual life - the parish where I work does not really afford me the freedom to do good music and I long for more solemn liturgy. Perhaps some of you feel at home at your place of employment, or work at protestant churches which gives you Saturday evening free.
  • Many weekends I do three Masses spread out over the weekend and I also play for two school masses each week. Then there are the other extras such as substituting, weddings, funerals, quinceneras, etc. and I have thought about attending Mass somewhere else just for the sheer experience of being there to worship and be a part of the communion of saints. This becomes more acute when the requests and demands have been for more of the "y'all come and sing and worship" venue.

I agree that being the music director can impinge on one's spiritual life. There is an old joke that says if you want to keep a man from praying make him an usher. I think that the same could be said here as well.

Early monks in scriptorium were formed by the copy work they were doing, and although it is hard to 'attend' Mass, especially after the third or fourth one, I have an intuition that the Holy Spirit takes this "interior suffering/desire" and uses for our benefit and forms us in a different way. We musicians, are more like Mary, in that the real work that we do for the Liturgy is hidden.

My schedule is so strung out over the course of the weekend, it would be difficult to get to another Mass and not fall asleep. The other aspect to this is for those of us who play for Saturday evening vigil Masses is the aspect of timely reception of Reconciliation.

I don't know the answer, but I sure understand the dilemma.
  • francis
    We have one Catholic church in our town. We are it! So I really have no choice. However, I do treasure going to Mass at other churches when I get the chance. Was just able to attend a Tridentine Mass a couple of weeks ago... brought a tear to my eye as I thought, "WHO STOLE MY TRADITIONS?!"
  • TCJ
    One thing I dislike about the job of being an organist is that sometimes it doesn't feel as one is actually attending a Mass and that I'm there just doing my job. While everyone else is praying, I'm searching for the next page of music, making sure the choir is ready, and so on. I don't go to Mass elsewhere, however, as the only Mass I'd go to if it were not at my job would be the Traditional Latin Mass and I can't make that after getting off work.

I really enjoy my vacations twice a year when I can attend Mass elsewhere. However, as of late, I've been the guest organist where I vacation, so so much for that!
  • Same here. I don't feel as if I go to Sunday Mass anymore because it's
    "work." I do my Mass-attending during the week - daily Mass. I can't imagine what it would be like without. The weekend Mass schedule here is such that I'm prevented from going to Mass anywhere else I would be interested in going.
  • CharlesW
    I am clearly not worshipping when I am playing the organ and/or directing the choir from the instrument at four masses each Sunday. Paying any attention to what is going on, is only for the purpose of getting ready for the next action I need to perform. However, as a Byzantine Catholic, I attend Divine Liturgy or Vespers whenever I can. That's when I worship.

• matthewjmatthewj

Memorize all your organ music and attend Mass while you play.
  • marajoymarajoy
    For one year I was at a church which I hated, but it would have been difficult to get to another church, between the Saturday vigil and 2 Sunday morning services so I didn't go anywhere else. Since then, I've been at 2 other churches, both which have been spiritually uplifting so I have not felt the need or desire to go elsewhere. But I do try to go at least once during the week.
  • Kathy
    I find it makes a huge difference if I take just a few minutes to pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament, before or after Mass. Although vacation time is very helpful, the fact is, there is only one 6th Sunday in Ordinary time this year. I want to be there for it.
  • Carl DCarl D
    This discussion makes me realize that I was quite lucky to direct a choir 100% a capella. Not a lot of preparation for the singing, as I'd picked the key in advance and no jumping around in books (everything photocopied). So my engagement with Mass was pretty reasonable.
  • Don't priests and bishops usually have time allocated in their yearly schedule to attend a spiritual retreat? I wonder if any of them give consideration to the parish music director for his or her spiritual needs...
  • Ally
    I feel exactly the same way! I also long for solemnity and beauty! And SILENCE!

I wish I could sit with my family at Mass too. On vacation I often seek out the EF wherever we are, or at least a parish with a very good reputation for the OF. In my position, I have time allocated for vacation and for continuing ed, but no retreat. Really could use it!
  • CharlesW
    Memorize all your organ music and attend Mass while you play.

Glad you have all the answers. Memorizing music to use for one Sunday is not worth the effort.
  • marajoymarajoy
    CharlesW- I think he was trying to be funny.
  • CharlesW
    Perhaps so, marajoy.

I make a distinction between work and worship, and don't find them to be the same. My four Sunday morning masses are work.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was half-joking. I know most people couldn't do it...

However I do find that when I am able to memorize everything and play Mass without a book in front of me (I do this at about 10% of Masses now, about 90% of Masses a year ago), I am able to "attend" that Mass much more effectively. Though I still have my "young" mind and I'm sure it will be gone/reduced someday.
  • vinny
    I attend mass at a different parish on Wednesday nights (just got home, actually). It gives me a chance to be in a different church building, and it's nice not to be in charge of anything there (I work in that same four-weekend-masses-two-weekday-masses-funerals-weddings-everything-else camp).