Colloquium and which difficulty to take
  • TCJ
    I'm pretty positive I'll be going to the Colloquium this year, but I thought I'd get a little advice on which chant course to take. While I do singing/cantoring as part of my job and I can read (and often sight-sing) modern notation, I've had zero training in chant notation. I've picked up a little on my own, gotten a couple of quick tips from someone who's experienced at it, and have gone over the various neume names in my Liber, but since I don't really get any experience chanting, I quickly forget all the terms. I've sung in a schola once and I can certainly follow the chant notation when I hear others singing it, but picking it up myself is a problem. I can do (with a little practice) the SEP chants, so I know I've got at least some ability with it. Any other experience I have with chant is just by being the accompanist for chanters, but then I have modern notation in front of me.

So the question is, considering what I do (and don't) know, would it be a wise thing to just start out with the Foundations course or would it be simple enough to jump into the refresher? Picking up a melody after hearing it a little bit won't be a problem - just reading the chant. I'd appreciate pointers on this. Thanks!

• WendiWendi
    I have a similar question. I am definitely going and have registered, I'm just not sure how basic the foundation class is.

I currently sing with our Schola and I am getting more familiar with reading square note every week.

I'm not sure that I know it well enough to skip the foundation course, but on the other hand if I am ready for the next step up I don't want to miss the opportunity for learning either.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

and thanks to the Curt Jester for asking first...I don't feel like it's a stupid question now. :)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Yes, thanks, Curt. A question a lot of people struggle with. My advice is to go one notch up from what you're comfortable with, then be prepared to work. I've always been glad when I did that.
  • WendiWendi
    Thank you very much. That's what I was leaning towards, I want to take away as much as I can from this experience.
  • canadashcanadash
    I agree with Carl. I had next to no experience with chant notation last year and went into the women's most difficult schola. I managed, but was unfamiliar with the terminology. It would have been better to be in the middle schola. But I still learned a great deal. If you are a good reader of regular notation I would not recommend the beginner's schola. I met a fellow who was a good reader of modern notation who did not think it was enough of a challenge. Hope this helps.
  • TCJ
    Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward the next level, but wasn't 100% sure. I think I am now. :)
  • BruceL
    I've sung in a schola once and I can certainly follow the chant notation when I hear others singing it, but picking it up myself is a problem

TCJ, I hope you take this comment in the spirit it is intended, but I would do the beginner schola. The comment above (again, with respects) indicates beginning schola. The beginning schola should be for those who are not secure enough yet to sing by themselves (in a hypothetical parish situation!) My colloquium experience is this: the advanced schola is very overgrown, and people often act like the beginning is somehow the "dumbed down" schola. I would propose these divisions: 1) Beginning: for those who are not fluent in basic chant notation (i.e., if someone handed you a simple Kyrie setting in chant notation, you would not be able to sight-read it in the correct mode.) 2) Intermediate: "reads" chant notation, but does not know the rhythmic function of the compound and more elaborate neumes. This person could read an ordinary at sight, but not say, a gradual chant. 3) Advanced: understands the chant and can interpret it. This person could sing one of the more advanced proper chants in an idiomatic style ("old" or "new" Solesmes).

The biggest problem I had with colloquium, to be honest, was that the advanced schola was 40+ people, with the beginning one very small and the intermediate rather large. There were definitely some folks in the advanced that couldn't figure out how to read AND watch the conductor, which seems to indicate they were in over their heads.

I think all the instructors of the scholas are very good: I don't think you'd be "missing" anything. After all, good houses are built on firm foundations: why not be sure you totally understand the basics of chant, then come back the next year (or another soon) refreshed and ready to do the intermediate one. Anyhow, that is just my $0.02.
  • Maureen
    If you can't sightsing in any notation system, you need to be in the beginning class. If you can sightsing in some notation system, you can probably do it. It's a lot easier to learn advanced polyphonic music by ear and by sheet music hint, than to do the same thing with chant, because you're a lot more likely to understand the expectations of polyphony and other "normal" Western music.

(Unless you're a little kid with no expectations, in which case you're probably a sponge for any kind of music or method of learning that you're given.)

Of course, what's really needed is a lot more local sol-fa intensive groups, for those of us that really can't get this sightreading thing, even from the online helps. Thinking in terms of intervals instead of melodies... so weird. Like if you actually learned the alphabet first before you ever read along with someone -- instead of the normal way of reading along from your youngest days, and then coming to understand why the named shapes were always associated with certain vocal sounds.
  • As having attended fully two chant intensives, first "novice" with Scott Turkington, in NOLA advanced with Mahrt, and five colloquia in all three levels, I endorse BruceL's approach. I specifically remember that at Loyola, in the intermediate group with giants like JDE present, Scott invited me to join him and JDE in an alleluia versicle, and even then (despite my confidence) I deferred out and David Hughes covered me without breaking a sweat. Having the benefit of NOLA and two advanced scholas since, my confidence level is high, but one should never, ever assume you've "arrived." There are CHANT MONSTERS out there (yes, Pedro!) with whom you would be advised to sit at their sandals.
    Besides, on both sides of the distaff, every schola acquits itself quite beautifully each year. Last year, If I recall, Wendy sang with Wilco -advanced, (after beginning schola at NOLA with Turk) and Wilco let jenny D and Angela M conduct, both of whom brought tears from these eyes with their chironomy and the sound of the women. If in doubt, don't fear to start with a lower bar. YMMV

W and I both regret we, after all, likely won't be able to be in SLC this year. 1% chance left...
  • TCJ
    BruceL,

You're advice is appreciated, but I'm afraid I probably wasn't quite clear enough on what I wrote before. When I said I had difficulty picking up chant on my own, I was thinking of the time I was with the schola and we had all these fancy neumes in the propers with which I was unfamiliar. When I read the music (and didn't sing) while the others sang I picked up the melody fine and also could figure out what certain neumes did. I'm someone who learns best by hearing. Now, simple chant without all the fancy stuff I can do, as I mentioned when I referred to SEP.

I think by your rating, I'd fall closer to intermediate, so your post still helps me a lot in getting a clearer idea of what's expected.
  • BruceL
    TCJ and Charles, thanks for the responses. TCJ, I suppose by your revision, INT might be better. I think being able to understand the modes is key between beginning and advanced. If we are able to hear those and distinguish patterns in the chants, then you will probably be okay. Maureen has some good ideas, too, although I will shamelessly confess that I revert to younger days in theory class when I see a P4 in the chant...I have to hear "Bridal March" sometimes to get it right! The traces of original sin, no?

I will also subscribe to Charles' comments regarding the quality of truly advanced chant aficionados at colloquium. It is amazing to see the chant talent among people there: I remember seeing Jenny and Angela conduct and was just bowled over with the chironomy as well. Unfortunately, chant is a men's only game many places, so it was wonderful for me to see that talent in the fairer sex. In addition. colloquium is a great reminder that someone's day job (or Sunday job) isn't necessarily an indicator of their competence as chanters: there are many diamonds-in-the-rough, which was a great encouragement to me personally!
  • BruceL
    Also, since I know some of the CMAA officers watch these discussions, is there any plan to try to divide the advanced schola? One idea would be to split it into two groups: one which prefers "old Solesmes" and one which is "new Solesmes"...I sincerely HOPE we could do that without a CMAA food-fight! It would also save time in interpretation of rhythmic issues, repercussions, episemas, etc., and generally make things of a more manageable size. I enjoyed the advanced schola last year, but sometimes one did get the sense of singing the Messiah with a 500 person chorus and 200 piece orchestra a la 19th Century Britain!
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • I went to the Colloquium the last time it was at CUA, and while I loved it, but decided that, until I get back involved in parish music (probably when I move out of DC), I won't be traveling to it because it is for musicians who are working, I think, or who are exploring...and young people.

That said, I had taught myself Chant notation and had worked on singing it with my voice teacher, chairman of the voice faculty at CUA, who knew the general idea. I had to tell her what specific marks meant, but she knew immediately. I asked Scott Turkington if I should go to what was then the upper level, and he said yes--and I learned a LOT in a few hours.

Four years later, I am finally able to sightread Chant--with a push.

So I would say that if you have learned the Chant notation and sat at the piano A LOT going Doh-fa-mi-fa-sol-la-sol or whatever such that you are comfortable with the ideas, then you will benefit from the intermediate. If not, then basic.

Interestingly, I found the intro to the Liber Usualis to be far and away the most useful, but photocopy it at 150% so you can read it. Let the techers explain things like liquescent neumes, because writing about them doesn't cut it.

Kenneth
  • That Sir Thomas Beecham reference is too funny, Bruce! Happily I thought our British chantmaster Charles handled our massive numbers quite deftly. But I was quite happy to have had the timely excuse of a severe bronchial infection so to excise myself and become a worshiper late in the week. Best thing that could have happened; I became a "child" of the Usus Antiquior (sp?). Now if all our parish priests could.....
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think AOZ will post an explanation of each course, unless I am mistaken.
  • BruceL
    Charles, agreed! I do know Charles Cole mentioned, though, that it was necessary to forego some of the interpretation he wanted due to the large numbers. As you say, though, he did admirably.
  • AOZ
    Aha! Wise JMO knew that I would jump in here if I caught this thread. To all of you who share your experience with beginning, intermediate, or advanced classes from past years - let me add a wrinkle- and I hope, some clarity.

Things are going to be restructured this year. Entirely.

New breakdown:

Beginning (foundations) - for those with next to no chant experience. Learn to read from the ground up. Huge gaps in your knowledge? Really don't know what a clivis is? This is probably the class for you. There won't be nearly as much performance pressure this year. The focus is on learning and practice. One proper toward the end of the week is all that will be demanded of this group, publically, anyway. :) This class will be loads of fun.

Refresher - perhaps you knew your stuff years ago when you took a course or two. And you feel the that foundations class would be too easy. But still you are not ready to sing an Introit or an offertory without considerable effort. Be honest with yourselves. This course is focused on learning. practice. Not performance. Material will be handled thoroughly, and there will be a little more time for fancier neumes and questions of style.

Women's schola/men's schola - Rather than thinking of this as the advanced course, think of this as the performance course. These scholas will be responsible for most of the propers sung at Mass. If you are not up to speed and ready to sing the propers every day, this might not be the course for you. If you love a challenge and want to sing sing sing, this is the course for you. With the added courses this year - and a restructured breakdown, these groups will not have to house 40 plus people this year.

Advanced seminars! Aha! Something new! Advanced courses for those who want to continue their studies not only through singing, but through exploring questions of style, scholarly approaches, etc. Performance is not the emphasis here. These are the classes that will allow time for advanced discussion of semiology, Solesmes old and new, etc. etc. NOTE: These are not classes for men or women exclusively. They will be mixed and focused, again, on study rather than performance in one octave.

Official descriptions are posted on the Colloquium web page.
    Thanked by 2marajoy Chris Allen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This new restructuring sounds like a wonderful idea! Something for everyone!!
  • BruceL
    Arlene, sounds great! Glad to hear this is being addressed.
  • JennyJenny
    It seems like a big gap between the Refresher and Schola groups. Is the intent to have most people concentrate on singing the polyphony?
  • What course (if any) would you recommend for someone who knows the basics of how to read chant notation (intellectually), but is not a very good singer? My background is in istrumental music, and I can read the chant, but I have all kinds of problems with voice production. I'm taking voice lessons, but I just started.
  • AOZ
    If you truly can read the music (know the terms, etc) and can carry a tune but just lack experience singing it, you'd probably be a good candidate for the refresher course. On the other hand, if you can't carry a tune well at all, you'd be best off in the beginning class.

IAnd Jenny - thanks for your comment about there being a perceived "gap" between refresher and the schola. There are always going to be people who fall in between categories. One thing that has happened in the past is that the intermediate groups were filled with people of such varied experience - one chant course 15 years ago v. those who sing Communios regularly but not any of the other propers - that we felt we needed to break things up even more. Beginning is what it is. Refresher will offer plenty of opportunies for singing and learning. The week will go quickly. The schola is for those who are truly fluent. Does that help at all?

• That does help a lot. I can read the music, in chant notation, and can carry a tune. My problem is that my voice gives out very quickly and I can't seem to sing above a G on the fourth space of the bass clef staff (yes, I am male!) without tightness that causes me to lose my stamina quickly. But I am taking lessons specifically for that purpose and am getting help. Maybe I will be OK by the end of June.

Your comments were very helpful.