Catholic Church in CT doesn't make it easy to find new jobs!
  • I must be missing something and hope more experienced musicians will let me in on the secret of how Catholic Church jobs are found. It seems that none of our Dioceses have any kind of central posting of new positions...anywhere. If there's a system, I don't understand it.

I didn't get my degrees at an in-state school, so I don't have a network of alums. The local AGO is mostly Protestant and requires a hefty membership fee to post or searc - when I've been on the searching end the results have been that I can find good musicians who know nothing about liturgy and I have to train them from the ground up. I wouldn't be interested in the local Pastoral Musicians outfit, as I'm not looking for someone who only knows 14 songs from Gather and I wouldn't want a position that expected this.

I did see Noel Jones' post about helping each other find jobs, but then I lost it and haven't been successful in finding it again on the search engine. I've hunted on the Catholic job sites without success. So I'm turning to this forum, as my problems have always found an answer here.

Also, can anyone share how frequently it happens that experienced musicians are just let go with no notice? There was an incident recently that shocked me. I'm not a cradle Catholic, so I don't know things that would be obvious to others, but I am not working under a contract. Is this typical?

• chonakchonak
    I wondered about that a few weeks ago when looking for information for the sake of a job-hunting friend; the Connecticut dioceses' websites didn't seem to have any information at all about music positions. It might be worth looking on the "pastoral musicians" site anyway, since some parishes might not know anywhere else to make announcements.
  • GavinGavin
    Don't discount NPM so readily; some of their job listings are worthwhile.

Basically, it's all networking. Meet people, take whatever work you can, and see what pops up.
  • Don't discount AGO OR NPM. What you said are gereralizations. I understand that generalizations are often true, but that doesn't mean they always are. It's not uncommon for churches to post job openings here, at NPM, AND on the AGO site. When I was looking, I searched all three, plus catholicjobs.com and basically anything else I could find.

There are some pretty nice looking jobs that pop up on the NPM site, including cathedrals and basilicas.
  • I found my job on the Archdiocese of Detroit newsletter. I had also applied for jobs I found on catholicjobs.com, on the job openings forum here, and some through the AGO, as well as a couple I heard about through word-of-mouth. I also emailed my resume and a cover letter to the diocesan music directors of dioceses that were either areas I was interested in living in, or that I had heard to be very friendly to good church music.
  • canadashcanadash
    I found mine in the Canadian Catholic Register. Total fluke. They had someone already lined up for the position (through friends) and the pastor wanted it advertised. I guess God had something else in mind and I was hired. As for being fired... I'm afraid it happens. I've heard these terrible stories and the organists end up in protestant churches. :(
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Sorry for the dismissive attitude about NPM - I stand corrected. It does cost $90 to post for 3 months and in a year I think they've had one job posted in my area, but there are large jobs in faraway locations.

Our Diocesan magazine doesn't have any help wanted or position open ads. I haven't tried the National, though. Thanks for the help!

• rich_enough
    The Yale Institute of Sacred Music has a church job list - mostly non-Catholic churches in CT but sometimes a Catholic one shows up.

Noel's list can be found here.

• Gold from you, Rich! Thanks so much for that Yale listing. This is exactly the kind of local information I was hoping to find.

The link to Noel doesn't seem to be working. I have been to his website and checked those links - would that be the same? If so, you don't need to re-post.

Many thanks.
  • Warning - jeremiad follows . . .

I will not, and in good conscience as a serious-minded Catholic cannot provide financial support to the AGO (in the form of national dues). I'm blocked from access to its job listings (now called "Career Services Center"), and really couldn't care less. You see, national membership dues help fund their legal services department which fights and advocates for, among other things, rights for benefits for unmarried domestic partners and same-sex partners. This is dead contrary to Catholic Moral Teaching (otherwise, issues like the recent HHS announcement giving Catholic institutions one year to comply with provisions regarding contraception and abortion wouldn't mean a thing).

Perhaps this is an unpopular point of view, and there are some who would gladly "pile on" and shout me down for being insensitive. But then again, nobody said that making the RIGHT moral decision was ever going to be easy, or make one popular.

Our Catholic identity at this very minute is being threatened in ways we never even imagined, and just remember. . . the choices we make in this life will determine where we spend the next.

No career "networking" opportunity is worth losing my soul.

As for membership in the NPM, I haven't been for many years with them, either. The reasons for this aren't as straightforward, but in my opinion, the NPM generally does not share or actively promote my sense of Catholic identity or values in liturgy and music (the several good names that associate with the organization notwithstanding . . . I make no judgment on them regarding their decision to associate with the organization).

Just my tuppence.
  • Dear David: thank you for saying what I didn't have the courage to say.

The AGO was not always like this. Thirty or forty years ago it was a sound professional organization that promoted skilled organists for churches, upheld standards, helped organ builders to set standards, and those who held the officers' chairs were professionals to look up to. Like many things, it has been hijacked.

One thing the AGO did do in those days was protect musicians from bad job situations. Churches with a record of losing a lot of musicians in a short time were flagged. I even recall an incident where a church was blackballed by the local AGO for firing a musician without notice - that meant that no member was supposed to seek the job. The church wound up having to hire from out of state. Ironically, the church's hidden agenda was the fired organist's orientation; the new organist, a woman, ran off with a married deacon and broke up his family.

Ultimately it's always about character and real living out of faith, but why belong to an organization that doesn't reflect your values where there are some that do?

• don roy
    i understand and respect your position david.
    for me, as someone who has given 17 plus years to the churchas a lay music director and feels increasingly at odds with it and as someone who (like many others) have been ill treated and tossed aside by our holy employeer, i can honestly say id concider a protestant job in a heartbeat. many respect and value their music staff. social justice my kiester
  • Please don't think, don roy, that the Protestant world is any safer. It depends on the individual priest or pastor.

I've been in church music for 40 years and am a late vocation Catholic. I've given my life to worship God and I, too, have often been badly treated, while I was in the Protestant world, where social justice is supposedly a high thing. I decided, personally, if I was going to keep on with church music (and I did retire once because I was so fed up) it would have to be only for the Lord's sake. The price is too high to give any mortal man.

The only difference in Protestantism is that ministers don't have the complete authority of Catholic priests - you can get fired by a committee instead!

• It would be interesting to know what percentage of the AGO membership are heterosexual. I'm not surprised by their position. Since that's not actually what the organization is about, there's a case to be made for staying in and fighting the good fight. One wants to use the power of the purse wisely, and I think there is a distinct moral difference between supporting an organization that does the cause of church music good while stabbing Church moral teaching in the back, and buying a coffee at Starbucks (which also supports so-called same-sex marriage).
  • I think that in general, boycotting things or businesses because of one issue that they take a side on is silly.

Starbucks or the AGO are not the "American Association of Marriage Equality." They are a professional musician's organization and a coffee house, respectively. I like the networking and scholarly opportunities that the AGO offers and I like Grande, 140 degree, no whip, nonfat mochas.
  • Yes, but I don't actually NEED coffee, much as my caffeine-junkied eyes at 6AM claim otherwise, and even if I did, there are plenty of places to get it. There's a better case to be made that organists need to be in the AGO. Both organizations are doing what the majority of their clients want. That leaves us out, and we'll respond to that as judgement dictates. But to suggest as David did that we're discussing a damnable offense is a wee bit scrupulous.

That said, I'll never understand why corporations take political positions that are divorced from their core mission. I just don't see the risk/benefit upside.
  • Well, they're not stupid. I bet they did analysis and found that the vast majority of their customers support that position. And there probably are people who go there MORE because of that position.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well, I actually NEED coffee, every day. But I buy my dark roast Sumatra beans from Trader Joe's and grind them at home every day - and enjoy.

All this in the midst of the current Susan G. Komen dust-up over Planned Parenthood seems, at least to me, to be a wee bit off-topic.

Just my tuppence.
  • Yes, let's do get back on the topic.

A friend mailed me to say he thought I was looking for a new job from my questions on this site. Actually, I'm not planning a move at the moment, although one keeps a weather eye out. But in the past two years we've had to replace staff organists through graduation, moving, family demands, and it keeps getting harder to find people.

Once I'd exhausted the usual word of mouth and local professional organizations I found the Catholic way of hiring was like looking for the pull-tab on an egg. This site has provided more clues in a few days than I got in weeks of searching the ne - Thank you!

I still would like to find a way to smoke out the odd retired organist who would be willing to sub, competent people looking for Saturday Masses, good Cantors, etc.

I still would like to know, from experienced organists, if sudden changes of staff are the norm in the Catholic music world, not having been in it that long. As I mentioned in a previous post, a hair-raising incident came to my ears and the musician had moved his family from another state, too.

Do most of us Catholic musicians work without contracts, or are they just pieces of paper if the priest in charge decides he wants a change? I understand a change of leadership, in any denomination, can mean the budget evaporates and so do you.

• My understanding is that most dioceses in the US do not permit "contracts", but rather lay employees are hired under what is called a "letter of agreement" that spells out the minimum expectations for both the parish and the employee. The diocese will often also have a "justice in employment" policy as well as a "code of ethics for pastoral ministers", neither of which are worth the paper they're printed on, since they have more holes in them than a really high quality Swiss cheese.

Unfortunately, I suffered horrific indignities and gross injustices due to entirely false and fabricated accusations involving several (female) students in the parish school, at the hands of a pastor who was being closely advised by the lawyers of the archdiocese in quo and therefore stood no real chance of being able to defend myself, since the various policies I've mentioned above were open to the discretion and interpretation of the pastor. I was a member of the AGO at the time, and after consultation with them, they said there was nothing I, or they, could do. I suspect, with some hyperbole, that if I were a homosexual who had been dismissed for being openly gay (and thus flouting both the moral teaching and employment policies of the Catholic Church generally), they likely would have circled the wagons and given the parish a right beat-down in the press and in the courts. But, since I'm a serious-minded Catholic, there's little interest in taking up my cause for justice.

Sad, but true. The story you heard was likely accurate, and there's really not one of us on this board who couldn't tell you a story that would curdle your stomach.
  • francis
    i subscribe to DA's two pence.
  • TCJ
    I won't have anything to do with AGO for the reason listed by David Andrew. I know of a church that is blacklisted and cannot find an organist because AGO won't let any members play there due to an incident with a former employee. It's not a matter of money, or lack of an instrument, but that the church chose to let go of an organist who was, from what I heard, having an open homosexual relationship. Apparently the organist was flaunting it for some time until the parish finally decided they had to can him, consequences or not.

Since I don't belong to organizations, I have found jobs just by knowing the right people. Every position that I've had has come from being in the right place at the right time, having contacts, and people telling me about them. I've found that Catholic churches around here do not publicly advertise their job openings.
  • BruceL
    Hello all,

I must say that my experience does not jibe with that of those posted above. The parishes I have interviewed for (and, indeed, where I now work) were insistent on a contract, as much to protect their rights as mine. I suppose "YMMV" is appropriate here!

TCJ, and others: I can understand this sort of situation. However, should the parish not state in their contract that the musician should (at least in their public life) subscribe to the teachings of the faith, including those of personal morality? If this were the case, I would think (despite the aforementioned policies of the AGO) that the guild would have to admit that the employee was at very least in violation of their contractual terms? I think the guild is far more interested in getting musicians good salaries, contracts, and working conditions than in pushing a social agenda. They are shrewd enough to realize that this is all a sort of Gordian knot, and the more individual churches are threatened by the government over conscience clauses, the less likely they are to have money to hire those the guild represents... That would be a difficult circumstance for the parish, but on the other hand, do they preach often about morality? If so, great: they are consistent; if not, I would have a hard time being sympathetic.

To the comments above, PGA, I agree: it is a professional organization. To me, it still acts that way. DA, I am sorry to hear about the situation, and how unfortunate that is: nonetheless, if there were grounds and solid proof of an employment injustice, the guild MUST help: that is their part of the agreement. If there is nothing you could do personally about it, though, I would think you would understand them being in a similar position. Of course it is difficult to know the whole situation.

For what it's worth, Protestant places (at least assuming they are doing okay financially) seem to be fine with musicians as long as they present results, and seem less likely to have knee-jerk reactions. I know of few places were a really solid musician is fired in the Protestant world unless that person is not getting the job done or is a particularly difficult person to deal with. Catholic seminaries doesn't teach due process in employment to priests as a rule, so you really are at the mercy of the pastor. Seminaries themselves don't often have tenure, so they are equally "fluid" (a euphemism?) in their hiring practices.

In short, I think the AGO is still a force for good: I am biased, since I am on a chapter executive committee! However, in the two years I have served, we have done research on pay for services (including weddings and funerals) in an effort to improve compensation for musicians in the area and then circulated those results to churches to remind them of just wages. We promote the instrument to the community, etc., and do many other things. I understand that these sort of organizations do not always line up 100% with someone's moral views, but it is not as if they are providing abortions and sterilizations!
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • francis
    BruceL

Is that "someone" you mention Jesus and his moral views and those who support them?

"Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: Neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers: an nescitis quia iniqui regnum Dei non possidebunt nolite errare neque fornicarii neque idolis servientes neque adulteri
    6 10 Nor the effeminate nor liers with mankind nor thieves nor covetous nor drunkards nor railers nor extortioners shall possess the kingdom of God."

1 Cor. 6:8-9

"5 21 Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God."

Gal. 5:21
  • BruceL
    Francis, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to (since you didn't quote a particular section of my admittedly-too-long-post), but I know plenty of fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminates, liars, thieves, coveters, drunkards, extortioners, etc....who are Catholic!

What's in a name?

You'll pardon me if I resisted conversion to Catholicism for quite some time because I could not see the moral views lived out in Catholics themselves.

But hey, I'm just some guy hiding behind my screen!
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • marajoymarajoy
    Having employees sign some sort of contract saying something like they would do their best to live their personal life in accordance with the teachings of the Church does seem like it would solve the problem of whether they could be terminated justly for that.
    The difference being... well, homosexuality is the one that we often pick on, partly b/c it's so obvious if it's made public by the one who acts on it, but such a statement in a contract really wouldn't be that difficult to enforce or make a distinction between someone who simply sins occasionally, as we all do, versus someone who has a habitual sinful tendency that they refuse to temper or seek help on. While that would be apparent if they were a actively homosexual, who for example, flaunted their lifestyle and partner, making no effort to act as the Church teaches they should, it should also apply to the other sins mentioned above. There is a difference between getting drunk once in a while or lying, or someone who has a chronic condition that they refuse to seek help for, and if especially it was publicly obvious, then as an employee of the Church, they should have grounds for termination. However, as homosexuality is (of all those sins above) the one that many people DON'T believe should be grounds for termination (whereas even in a secular environment, someone who routinely committed many of the others would likely be fired,) that's why it is difficult to fire someone for that, so perhaps churches really do need to start mentioning that one in particular in their contracts!

However... in no church that I have ever worked for (3) and rarely among people I know, have I heard of people actually even *having* contracts. While I know many people view that as completely unjust, I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. I think it also has to do with some churches simply don't have their act together. They are understaffed, the employees are underpaid...it just kind of gets forgotten. Also, for me, I have always been hired *by the priest.* He picks ME. I don't mind not having a contract, because (in addition to the fact that I trust him to not screw me over and he trusts me,) at the point where either a new priest came in who didn't like me or there were simply irreconcilable differences with the original priest...well, at the point where he wanted to fire me, I probably wouldn't want to be working there either! (However, I must admit that I have never been in the position of having a full-time job where I was, for example the breadwinner for a family, and that would probably change my opinion to the point where I would require some sort of contract upon accepting a job...but I have simply never felt like I needed to bother to do that.)
  • BruceL
    Mara, herein lies the double-edged sword: those of us with families depend on the contract for some sort of due process. Even if it's thirty days' notice, that's better than one days' notice! The people that aren't as dependent on the contract? Singles! Not that they should be discriminated against, but...

An example: often parishes are "pick out" homosexuals in their moral teaching, as you say. Those same parishes also often don't pay enough for someone to pick up their whole family and move for a job! So, why are they surprised when they find out their hire is openly homosexual? Another sad example: the Church claims to encourage large families, etc. However, our diocesan insurance policy recently changed to an "equivalent" policy. I stuck with the high-premium-low-deductible plan so I wouldn't be hit hard if something came up. Imagine my surprise when we had kid #2 and the birth cost thousands of dollars...much more than our first child's birth, who was premature and was in the hospital in NICU for ten days. The diocese had traded our insurance policy which was a flat $500 per childbirth for one that split all the costs 80/20 insurance/employee...the same as if I had a kidney removed. Way to encourage big families. I am thankful, especially to my pastor, every day that my material situation at my job is good...I realize this is often not the case.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but these inconsistencies are frustrating!
  • TCJ
    Marajoy,

I've had the same experience. I've worked for four different churches and six different pastors and have not had one contract. For the most part I've been satisfied because I did trust the priests who hired me. One of them, however, did break the verbal agreement, so from now on if I don't know the priest, I think I'll insist on some sort of contract to prevent that from happening again. Sometimes you have to be burned before you learn a lesson.

• My heart is troubled by these sad divisions in our Church.
  • CharlesW
    I have a contract and have had no difficulties in the job I have now held for eleven years. I send my dues and renewal form to AGO every year, and never sign the attached code of ethics. No one has ever complained. In my area, AGO does quite a bit of good for musicians. Although most members in this Protestant area are, not surprisingly, Protestants.

One of the big problems in Catholic employment, is that the Church has never implemented what Leo XIII taught a century ago.