Praying With Non-Catholics — Is it Possible?
  • francis
    This thread kind of got started on another thread as a tangent, so I am officially launching it here, based on an article by By Fr. Thomas Crean O.P.

http://www.christendom-awake.org/pages/thomas-crean/praying-with-non-catholics.htm

We were talking about organists and music directors working in churches non-Catholic. It is an interesting topic. Thoughts?
  • Yes. Stuff like this makes me cranky. Not that crankiness is any positive or negative indicator of doctrinal correctness.

If it's just a gig, it's not worship. But if it's just a gig for the Protestants, why would it not be "just a gig" for the Church? Wouldn't that obligate one to fulfill one's Sunday obligation somewhere other than "on the job"?

More importantly: if a pin is manufactured in Geneva or Augsburg, may angels dance on the head of it, and if so, how many?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I once interviewed for a position with a Methodist church of some musical and social repute. During the course of the questioning during the interview I was asked if I would "fully participate" in all aspects of public worship, or otherwise, how would I find spiritual satisfaction as a Catholic.

I knew the question was a "set-up", but never the less here is how I answered the question: No, I would not be able to "fully" participate, especially during communion services. Why? Because it would bear false witness. I do not believe as Methodists do, that is, I don't believe that the communion is a "memorial". If I am to be a person of integrity, I cannot in good conscience lead others to think that I believe as they do. And, if folk knew I was Catholic and did not believe as they did, and yet received communion with them, would they have any respect for me? Or, would they view me as an opportunist? I wondered out loud as I answered if what I have said would preclude me from providing the congregation with carefully-chosen and well-executed music, and I concluded that, at that point in my life anyway, it would not. As for my personal faith, I would be free to worship at a local Catholic church on Saturdays and Holy Days that wouldn't conflict with the schedule as required by my work.

They didn't buy it, and frankly I'm glad they didn't. Ultimately, I couldn't work for a Methodist church regardless how grand their music program was.

I have struggled with this question when the idea of working for an Episcopal (read, "High Anglican") parish has presented itself. It would still be just too strange, as if I were countenancing a great hoax.

This is my personal discernment in the matter. Others may reach different conclusions, but I share my thoughts in the hopes that it will aid others in their discernment.
  • TCJ
    It's certainly possible to pray with them, so long as there's nothing objectionable to a Catholic, but the differences in religion will make it difficult. For instance, with my non-Catholic family, about the only thing in common would be the Our Father.

It's not possible to worship with them in their religion as that would be a compromise to our Catholic faith. One can't go into a protestant church and worship God in a pleasing manner as one would be doing so in a false religion.

As for those who think it's permissible to work for non-Catholic churches, perhaps they never had the Faith at all.

(Edit: The last sentence isn't truly meant to be an attack (nor would I judge people across line in such a general manner), but more a way of saying that people should make proper arguments instead of attacking the faith of others with insults. You can see how silly it is (even if it might garner a laugh from those who agree with the poster).
  • The Bl. Pius XII says in The Mystical Body of Christ that we should consider our dissenting Catholic brethren as closer than Protestants. I am glad that was not doctrinally defined because there is no way that I can feel closer to some faculty at Notre Dame who give lipservice assent to "the one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church" while denying every other article of the Creed than I do to our "separated brethren" who define "Catholic" differently but do their best to remain faithful to every other article of the Creed. And a Catholic who goes in wanting to point out every point of difference does no good at all.

That said, it requires prayer. As a convert from Evangelicalism, I must of course point out that there is a document to be studied.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/general-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19930325_directory_en.html

Kenneth
  • ryandryand
    I was, within two weeks:

-fired from a Catholic parish for asking them to listen to BXVI
    -given a cake by my Protestant brothers, with whom I worked for six years during my "lack of faith," as Curt would suggest
    -married at the parish I was fired from

(same parish I grew up and received all sacraments in)

Curt: please be prudent with your words.

I was literally fired for being a Rome-ist amongst Catholics, while my Protestant brethren showed other families the door for the same complaint. While my love of BXVI got me ousted from a Catholic parish, it kept me employed amongst Calvanists.

Dearest Curt:
    WITH WHOM SHALL I PRAY?!!!
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you, Ryan, for relating your story (and, by the way, welcome to the forum). Your experience is a testimony to the forces of destruction afflicted on the Church: they're waning but still with enough influence to do harm.
  • Liam
    Be careful only to sing God Bless America and assorted patriotic prayer-songs among fellow Catholics, never with non-Catholics. In mixed company, limit ourselves to purely secular patriotic songs.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • TCJ
    "Curt: please be prudent with your words."

Ryand,

First, as I stated, I was using it as an example (as can be seen in the disclaimer), in particular to a certain person who stated that people who don't want to work for protestant churches probably don't have much faith, or something along those lines. If you ask me to be prudent, please, ask others to do so as well. I typically don't say those things, but it does irritate me when legitimate discussions are limited by personal attacks.

On to your example, I've lost two jobs at Catholic churches over time for just attempting to do what is Catholic, so yes, I've had a very similar experience to what you had. Both times I just found another job at another Catholic church - it took some time to find one available and during that time I could easily have had a job at a protestant church. I chose not to because I don't believe playing for one is compatible with the Catholic faith. Obviously, other people believe differently, but for me, money is the secondary concern and my religion is the primary. If I have to give up being an organist and find another job because I can't find decent work at a Catholic parish, I will do so.

The Catholic Church possesses the fullness of truth and no other church has that. It's sad that many Catholics seem to be driving others away, especially competent musicians, but that doesn't change the facts about our religion and false religions. I have an obligation to God to worship him in the way that HE sees fit and that is NOT in the local Lutheran church.
  • ryandryand
    If you can only work with/for Catholics, what other jobs are we allowed to work outside of the church?

These days I am lucky to be at a few Catholic parishes. I took a big paycut to do so, actually, so there's my own testimony as to the matter of money. However, if I were to lose my current employment, I don't see the problem of earning my grocery money from fellow Christians while I search for Catholic churches. It doesn't seem any more immoral than going to work at the local retail store which is neither Catholic nor Christian at all. In many cases, quite the opposite.

When I played at a Jewish synagogue for high holy days this past year, was that a testimony to my lack of faith in Christ and his resurrection? When I am payed to perform music in a secular concert or club setting, why is that different than being payed to perform music in a community which desires to know Christ and worship God?

I have also been led to believe, by pretty specific statements, that my own faith was seen as a great testimony to the Protestants with whom I worked. Some families left, but others grew in their respect of the Catholic faith as they realized that we are not worshipping any golden cows. I wouldn't suggest that anyone would convert because of my time there, but I do not hesitate to say that many souls were left more open/understanding of the faith than if I had denied their employment and fellowship on grounds of "No thanks, you aren't the right kind of church." Did I believe that they possessed the fullness of faith? Not at all, and that is why I would still attend Holy Mass every week, along with my time working at the Protestant parish.

My desire is to work for the Catholic church. I currently do. If I could not, would it be better to work at a grocery store or at a Protestant church? I don't know, but I don't think that either is reflective of my dedication to the faith. Either way, I can still attend Holy Mass, and either way, I get a paycheck.

We must be careful not to become to insular/"inbred" in the church. There are some in Orthodox Judaism who do not wish to proselytize and won't accept converts. It's just a cultural thing. We're Jewish and we hang with other Jewish folk. If you're not Jewish, you can't be Jewish, and we won't be stopping around your parts if you are not Jewish. It's just us and that's it.

Obviously the church always accepts converts, but should its members be limited in the sense of participation in the larger world? If this participation leads to immoral activity, obviously there is a problem. However, playing a few hymns and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the Son of God is hardly immoral. I never had to denounce my faith, never had to denounce the hierarchy or the Holy Father, never had to denounce the True Presence (in the Catholic Mass), and never had to miss Holy Mass during my time with the Protestants. This would all be equally true if I were teaching at a public school nearby, except I might have to teach kids about condoms and birth control. I guess that's better than praising God with fellow believers, although their theology and ecclesiology are partially lacking in truth.

P.S., I've never said anything about your faith or you personally. I do not understand how my previous post was imprudent. Protestants have, in past experiences, often been just as good or even better examples of Christian life than Catholics. That's not always true, and I'm lucky to do all of my work in Catholic churches these days, but there's no reason to say that someone never truly had the faith while earning a living praising God in a church which lacked in some way, and during other parts of the day managed to attend Holy Mass, receive Communion, receive sacramental Confession during the week, etc.

Praise God in song or bag groceries... I know my preference.

As far as praising God in a Protestant or Catholic setting, that's a silly question.

And as far as how accepting a paycheck from Christians and attending Mass every week makes one lacking in the faith, its beyond my comprehension. I was a practicing Catholic the whole time.
  • Ryand:

Well said. The teaching of the Church is to seek out opportunities to pray with other Christians--that is the point of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. And XVI prayed--albeit alone and not publicly--in Hagia Sophia, considered by many to still be a mosque, even though it is technically now a museum. Then there is the Assisi experience, which I find too problematic, but was Papal.

Having been in many Evangelical services, I can tell you that there is little if anything a Catholic could object to in the worship part. The pro-life movement has blown away a lot of anti-Catholicism in rhetoric.

So on the whole, I have to say people with an attitude that Protestants have a different "religion" are both in error and uncharitable. Catholic liberals pay lipservice to the Church but are indistinguishable from liberal Protestants. While a licit Mass by a heretical priest is still a licit Mass, and I have been to a few of those, too, prayer with earnest, orthodox, conservative Protestants can be a joy.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • francis
    Ryand

The teaching of the Chuch is NOT what you say. You deceive yourself and others to say so.

Did you read the document I included above? If so, with which part do you disagree? Also, personal discernment or one's own conscience cannot dictate a different outcome from what is presented in the argument. The Church is very clear on what it means to hold fidelity to the faith.

When you say:

"I have also been led to believe, by pretty specific statements, that my own faith was seen as a great testimony to the Protestants with whom I worked. Some families left, but others grew in their respect of the Catholic faith as they realized that we are not worshipping any golden cows. I wouldn't suggest that anyone would convert because of my time there, but I do not hesitate to say that many souls were left more open/understanding of the faith than if I had denied their employment and fellowship on grounds of "No thanks, you aren't the right kind of church." Did I believe that they possessed the fullness of faith? Not at all, and that is why I would still attend Holy Mass every week, along with my time working at the Protestant parish."

you give credibility to NOT being Catholic as though it is just fine or on the same level especially because you profess to be so yourself.

You also said:

However, playing a few hymns and acknowledging Jesus Christ as the Son of God is hardly immoral.

Hmmm... Demons acknowledge JC as the Son of God, but we don't participate with them!
    Thanked by 1TCJ
  • TCJ
    Ryand,

One point: people don't worship God at grocery stores unless there's some new denomination or something that worships Wonder Bread (in which case, yes, there might be similarities!). I find it hard to believe you can't see the difference between aiding in false worship (a point you failed to address) and bagging groceries in a store operated by non-Catholics.
  • chonakchonak
    Dear Francis,

Could you please restrain yourself from making accusations about people "deceiving themselves and others"? It's possible you may be making an error about what ryand's views are.

Do you think that the theologian you cite would dish out such insults on a public forum, based on so little as the writings above?
    Thanked by 1JDE
  • I cannot comment on Francis' offering of Fr Crean's article at the head of these comments. It is so beautifully logical, makes such emminent sense, is so unassailably rational, beyond reasonable dispute. And, so brutally smug and pharisaical. I cannot help but agree with it... with my mind, that is. But what of our hearts? What of that judgment of others that belongs only to God, that none of us dare make. The witness of others above is far nearer to my heart than Fr Crean's heavy law. One might begin by pointing out that our Holy Father Benedict himself just several years ago prayed with the Archbishop of Canterbury in Westminster Abbey and participated in a 'non-Catholic service' that was quite as legitimate an act of Catholic praise as the divine office. Of course Catholics can pray with Protestants! - they should and must; for them not to do so would be a affront to the Most High. I served a beautiful historic Lutheran Church for many years as choirmaster and organist. In addition to the marvelous music making, I made many Christian friends and was honoured to serve under the pastor, who was (still is) a far more Christian man than far too many Catholic priests I have known. No one should delude him/herself that we have nothing to learn from Protestants, nor that Protestants are not real Christians. We might rather observe that we too often run into Catholics who are fine Catholics but who aren't very Christian (whether that's an oxymoron can be food for another converstation). Jesus said 'where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them'. It seems to me that there is a little something rather incestuous about a deterministic effort to pray only with Catholics. One may use one's own recent spiritual journey as an ensample: we Anglicans have crossed the Tiber and left behind relatively little of any value. We are now Catholic and are exactly a week away from having our own mitred ordinary installed. This could only have happened through prayer, example and dialogue accross doctrinal mine fields. So, I will admire Fr Crean's impeccable and compelling legalism, granting it some influence in my intelligence, while continuing to pray whenever possible with those with whom prayer is possible. It is so simple to say 'We don't agree on A, but we do agree on B, so let us pray about that'. I have probably presented this all rather clumsily, but none of us should be so ultramontane that the thought of praying with a loving Protestant who is in love with Jesus is outre. Christendom has had 500 years of denominational incest. It needs to be healed of this. Do we wish to go back to doing harm to one another - as the Muslim sects do amongst themselves even now? When I was younger than I am now I often heard hatefulness against Jews, Negroes, Muslims... and Catholics... and I figured that if these people were hated there must be something good about them, so I liked them. So, it isn't enough for us to stop hating each other, we need to start loving each other as well, while being very careful not to jettison aspects of the faith that my be 'inconvenient'. Perhaps, then, we can have the acumen of Fr Crean tempered by spirit-fired hearts of love.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    chonak

It's possible, but not likely. The Church does not change it's doctrine toward participation in non-Catholic religions by Catholics.

Why are you so quick to attack my opinions? I am not making acusations... I am simply stating what I think to be true, just as you do.

I will simply revise my statement by saying:

I (and many) believe you deceive yourself and others... and having been a part of the "ecumenical movement" for many years, I also speak from direct experience as I was also deceived myself into practicing those things against communicatio in sacris.

Spirit-filled hearts of love don't always smell pretty. sometimes it challenges to the core. Just because a pope participates in an ecumenical service doesn't make it right or acceptable. Popes are also human and are capable of making mistakes. Popes also commit sins... do we follow their actions in those things also?

Also, there are two things discussed in the article I posted above. Catholics participating in non-Catholic religions, and then there is the more blurry participation of praying with non-Catholics... they are two completely different things.
  • I probably shouldn't revive a thread that went dormant, but one thing got skipped over:

Take all of your articles by your favorite theologians and put them aside. THIS is the official stand on worshipping with out separated brethren, and nothing else. We are not to consider them 'false worshippers.' We are to be charitable to them as "our separated brethren." So if you go into every conversation with another Christian with your axe out, you are certainly not seeking the peace and unity we are charged with seeking. Study this one in detail--it's long, give it a week or two-- THEN form an opinion:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/general-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19930325_directory_en.html

People always make comments about me, the typical ones, "Oh, he's a convert, he'll know."

One thing I have come to know is what Cradle Catholics mean by "more Catholic than the Pope."
    That's error, too.

Kenneth
  • Now, that said, the document says, if I recall, that praying together is to be encouraged, but Catholics can't participate in a way that signals assent in error--there's where the discussion is. True, if you refuse to participate with other Christians, you will never hear Protestant error, but you will hear error by Catholics--and you will be falling into the temptation of lack of charity toward your separated brethren. The document certainly never says, "Any time you pray with a Protestant, you are a sinner." And that seems to be what some here maintain.
  • ryandryand
    ..."Any time you pray with a Protestant, you are a sinner." And that seems to be what some here maintain.

That's what I was speaking out against. I like what you said:

...if I recall, that praying together is to be encouraged, but Catholics can't participate in a way that signals assent in error

--

If our recent Popes are taken as an example, praying with non-Catholics is entirely possible, while still maintaining strong conviction that the fullness of truth resides only in the Catholic faith.
  • I would like to say it is not easy. But an atttitude of love, of not seeking to replay the Diet of Worms every time you get together, of openness, in prayer, are needed. The pro-life movement has blown away so much rancor and hatred that we must pray for ever further cooperation.

That Catechism (820-822) says that unity is beyond human powers, but that among things that "are required" are (1) a permanent renewal of the Church in greater fidelity to her vocation; (2) prayer in common, and (3) faternal knowledge of each other. As committed as everyone on this list is to the unique beauty of the Catholic Mass properly done, we should also be committed to love our separated brethren.

And we should all read and reread Ut Unim Sint.

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0221/_INDEX.HTM