Where do I find motets?
  • canadashcanadash
    I've been researching motets that parallel the propers, but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to find these?  Or, perhaps there is a website where the work is done.  Any suggestions?  
  • Aristotle Esguerra had started a spreadsheet with moteted propers, particularly those available on CPDL:
    http://www.cantemusdomino.net/polyphonic-propers/

but it says it hasn't been updated since January 2008.  Perhaps he would like some help with it?

Starting with a search on CPDL using the incipit (the first few words in Latin) will often take you to IMSLP and other public domain sites as well as to anything available there. 

If your public library has access to WorldCat (Online Catalogue of the Library of Congress, OCLC), you can search the incipit there and (if your library supports it) borrow scores via InterLibrary Loan (ILL).  I do this all the time.  Fortunately, my state sponsors a megasearch engine that includes WorldCat and has online request service via our county library system, so the local librarians no longer frown at the sight of me (the combination of scholarly-minded working musician and homeschool parent was most annoying to them, no matter how polite and ladylike I was, because I was always asking for the maximum number of requests.)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CPDL has categories for the various Sundays and feasts of the Liturgical year.  See Category:Sacred music by season and its various subcategories.  Much of the work of setting these categories up is due to Richard Mix (who is a regular here and also an administrator at CPDL). 

Note that there is also a separate page Ordinary Time which provides a concordance between the more modern "Ordinary time" propers and the Tridentine propers.

We could always use help at CPDL with the work of placing works in these categories.  For instance, I just added "Tract for {{cat|Lent III}}" to the Description section of several settings of "Ad te levavi oculos meos" at CPDL.  As president of CPDL and manager of its ChoralWiki website, I encourage catholic musicians to become involved at CPDL and help improve its usefulness.
  • canadashcanadash
    OOOhhhhh, like the spreadsheet!
    Giffen, thank you.  Now I know a little more about CPDL!  I don't have any time to help out, unfortunately.  But perhaps that can be a new discussion a few times a year and you will pick up interested people!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've pretty much finished locating and categorizing the works at CPDL that are proper for Lent I, II, and III.  And I'll work on continuing from there when I get the chance.  Others who would like some direction on how to help only need to contact me or any of the other Administrators at CPDL.
  • rich_enough
    I've done some work to supplement Aristotle's spreadsheets, although I have not checked each and every motet text (as he did) for compliance with the liturgical text.

It would be helpful if the liturgical day were noted for each motet (for the ordinary and extraordinary form calendars, both in these and in Aristotle's spreadsheets) but I simply do not have the time.
  • I've found the MOTET Database helpful. It only handles the Renaissance, does not give modern editions or complete verbal texts, and does not collate hits for the same piece in different sources. That said, it's good for seeing what's out there.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough