Mass Time, Size, and Choir Growth
  • Dear Fellow Musicians,
    I have appreciated so much your wonderful and very helpful feedback to my questions in the past and I want to call on you again for your feedback to something I consider a potentially positive move ... so, I thank you in advance, very sincerely:
    I have an opportunity move the parish choir from an earlier Mass to the 11:00 a.m. Mass at our parish, which happens to be the largest Mass during Sunday. In your experience and observation, has having the main parish choir sing at your largest Mass/service, and not surprisingly the later morning Mass, given you the best choir growth? It would seem a very obvious answer, but we have had a unique challenge in the past six to seven years. There has been a recent turn around in the parish that makes this time a potentially critical time to make some important and positive changes to bring more growth and revitalization to the music liturgy and specifically the choir.
    Again, I value greatly and appreciate your feedback.
    Blessings,
    Bob
  • Bob, one thing I've experienced with essentially the same choral assignments per Mass time for 18 years is that my auditioned choir, our "schola", is comprised of individuals who are highly motivated, some choosing to do two Masses, others choosing to experience their Sunday "day of rest" with intent and purpose. Therefore, we've kept that earlier Mass, 8:30am, designated as the equivilent of a Solemn High (or at least Missa Cantata) Mass to accomodate their varied needs family and social wise. They also know that in addition to the pre-eminent Masses (Triduum, Midnight Christmas, etc.) that they are the go-to choir for other "high profile" Masses as they arrive at our doorstep. The later Mass, 10:30am (which was at 10am until a recent alteration due to our opening of the fourth parish in our merged cluster) has a stable "Y'all come sing" base, that can function quite successfully with minimal rehearsal and a fluctuating size/voice distribution. Quality will attract more quality. What's been really odd of late is that some folks come up after the later "ensemble" Mass interested in participating in that group who are actually better suited for the more demanding schola choir. So, once I've appraised them of that choice, they opt for more strenuous rehearsals on weeknights, and the earlier Mass on Sunday.

We don't assess "vitalization and growth" upon Mass attendance. Happily, since the fourth parish opened, the mother parish has not suffered any consistent drop; in fact, because the nature of the two principal morning Masses has remained constant, while the new parish is crafting and evolving into its own "character" (for lack of a more apt term) attendance sometimes spikes mightily into SRO.

We're very fortunate in our little town and mini-See in that regard.