Fundraising concert for colloquium--ideas welcome!
  • Hello, 

The members from the small "motet" choir from my parish would love to travel out to the colloquium. Since we're from a very small parish in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, we need to do some fundraising. 
    I am thinking of putting together a Lessons and Carols type program---for Lent. I would like to format it to possibly take place as a "penance service", or something of that sort, with available confessions. Perhaps we could also offer it to other churches in the area, and split the proceeds with them. 
    Does that sound like it would work? And, if you were to do that type of program, what Bible passages and motets would you put on program? 
    Our choir members are very dedicated and fast at learning music, but we only have two sopranos, two altos, one tenor, and one bass in this particular choir. So, bear that in mind when suggesting music!
    Thanks!

Stephanie Brune
  • canadashcanadash
    "Lead Me Lord"  Wesley  http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/wes-lea2.pdf
    "God So Loved the World" Stainer
    "Wash Me Throughly" Halls
    "If Ye Love Me"  Tallis
    "Brother James' Air" Bain

These are all rather penitential, easy and can be readily associated with readings, although I don't have time to do this for you right now!  I hope this helps!

Do attend the conference!  It is well worth it!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just off the top of my head:

"E'en so Lord Jesus quickly come" Paul Manz - usually for Advent, but it would also work for penance
    "I will not leave you comfortless" Everett Titcomb - Ascension/Pentecost, but again it would work well for this
    "Let thy Blood in mercy poured" (my own work) - appropriate for Lent, Eucharist or penance
    "Ave verum corpus" William Byrd
    "Psalm 134 - Behold and have regard" (M. Peerson from the Ravenscroft "Whole Book of Psalmes", arranged by me)

• Thank you very much!