Studying in Europe
  • I wonder if there is are classes or workshops offered that allow you to work directly with the monks at Solesmes. Moreover, does anyone know of any programs anywhere in Europe that allow students to be completely immersed in the study and performance of Gregorian chant? There's a possibility I might travel to the "old country" and I would jump at the opportunity to take a week-long workshop or master class or whatever. If you know of anything like this, tell me about it. You can post links, even if the sites are in a different language. I'll use a translator. Thanks.
  • Simon
    I know of 2 or 3 in the summer months. The only one that is in English (with Russian translation) is in Vilnius, Lithuania. It is more or less an immersion program and focuses on the office repertoire. The instructor is Eugeen Liven d'Abelardo who also taught chant at the University of Graz (Austria) for several years. For more info email him at hartker@gmail.com
  • ghmus7
    There are many programs in Europe regarding Gregorian Chant. The Abbey of Clervaulx, and several programs in Rome come to mind.
    However, why not consider the St. Basil School of Chant in Houston?
    Fr. kelly is coming for a course soon, and there arer extensive courses offered all year.
  • BruceL
    Jenny Donelson could help with this, but I don't know how to tag her...
  • Carl DCarl D
    She's active on Facebook, if that helps...
  • An immersion program sounds about right. I will contact Professor(?) d'Abelardo asap. Simon, what are the others in the summer months? Ghmus, could you list a few of the programs so I know where to start looking, perhaps you and Simon are thinking of the same ones. A google search didn't turn up anything for me. I will also ask Dr. Jenny. She and I worked together for a year singing EF masses and I never thought to ask. Mea culpa.
    Thanks folks.
  • Simon
    Eugeen is teaching one or two other courses as well in Belgium (I believe). These will be in Flemish or French, however. Contact him for details. There's also a summer course in Essen (Germany) that is highly recommended. Here's the link: http://www.folkwang-uni.de/de/home/musik/institut-fuer-gregorianik/sommerkurse-gregorianik/