LITURGY FOR THE CHAIR OF ST PETER -
  • For any interested parties, especially any who might not live a prohibitive distance and wish to attend: the Installation of Fr Jeffrey Steenson as Ordinary will be at 3.00 pm on Sunday, the 12th February, at the Co-Cathdral of the Sacred Heart in Houston.
    The choir had its first rehearsal tonight at Walsingham under the emminently capable hands of Kevin Clarke and includes Palestrina's Tu es Petrus, the Parsons Ave Maria, the ordinary is part Byrd and part Merbecke, also Tallis' O Sacrum Convivium, Ps. XXIII with Anglican chant in E by Davies, Gregorian propers in English and Latin (including the proper Gregorian Alleluya for the feast of the Chair of Peter), and Parry's I Was Glad. Hymns are Christ is made...(Westminster Abbey), Firmly I Believe (Nashota House), and Holy God...(Grosser Gott). There will be at least two cardinals, a number of bishops and many priests. If you live within driving distance this will be a very beautiful Anglican Use liturgy at its cathedral best.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How I wish I could be there! Is there any chance that the Installation will be recorded? My prayers of joy and thanks go out to this solemn and long awaited occasion.
  • In dulci jubilo: "Oh, that we were there!" My prayers join Charles'!
  • It seems his installation mass will be a repeat of the quality of glorious liturgy that occurred at Mt. Calvary in Baltimore when His excellency visited and confirmed their congregation last Sunday. In terms of beauty, this was one of the best masses I have been to in my life. Certainly the best in english and an equal to any in Latin.

Meeting Msgr. Jeffrey Steenson was very inspiring. I know many feel he was overly gracious to "Schori" in order to secure the properties, however I think his heart is golden. He appears to have an openess to collaborate, educate others and continue to learn older rubrics himself. This seems to be unique amongst bishops the bishops of the USCCB, many are not gifted in those areas as strongly. He has firmness to lead, but without being too close minded or "overly" open minded..

How fitting. We can only hope the cardinals take notice and recognize the possibilities of more inspiring traditional liturgies eventually occuring in their own regular archdiocesan churches. It mustn't be seen as something for an ex-anglican ghetto.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Pretty daring, referring to her as "Schori" (the surname of her husband, a mathematician whom I knew professionally), when she pretty much insists on being known as "Jefferts Schori" - not that I'm complaining!!!
  • High mass at Walsingham had an over-abundance of spirit and joy this morning. In the congregation were about 25 Episcopalian priests who are in the program at St Mary's Seminary here to become Catholic priests. Concelebrating with our pastor, Fr James Ramsey, were our ordinary, Fr Steenson, our vicar-general, Fr Hurd, and two normal Roman rite pastors. The anthem was Howells' 'My heart for beauty pines'. Many thanks are due to Cardinal Dinardo for making his seminary home to the program for the Episcopalian priests who wish to become Catholic and a part of the ordinariate.
  • Do we need to RSVP? I am seriously considering making the 6-hour drive from Laredo. Having been to Our Lady of Walsingham last year (during the SLC conference), I was most impressed. It was one of the best liturgies I've attended.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    benedictgal - If I were that close, I would definitely go. Unfortunately, I'm not.
  • COUNT-DOWN - - - FIVE DAYS
    Come early, there will be people from all over the world in addition to several cardinal-arcbishops, bishops, etc.

THEN --- next week - Wed 15th - Sat 19th is the Columba Kelly Winter Workshop of St Basil's School of Gregorian Chat at the U of St T. A three day workshop focusing on the propers of the mass in Latin and English with tutorials on taking these back to parishes and introducing them. The class will also go home with a number of not-too-difficult Gregorian Alleluyas that they can intruduce into their parishes.

If you think you would like to attend (we do have numbers from out of state) look up our site and register. If you don't know Fr Columba, you are in for a rare treat. If you do know him you are in for another rare treat! (www.gregorianchantschool.org)
  • benedictgal - come say hi if you do!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My prayers with you this coming Sunday and next week.
  • Two more rehearsals... Four more days!
    So much wondrous church music to do.... we are doing all of it we can.
  • All - for anyone who’s in town visiting that weekend and would be interested, Our Lady of Walsingham is also having a pretty generous festive Mass for the anniversary of the church dedication at 10:30am:

Prelude: Willan “Urbs Hierusalem”
    Procesional: Christ is the made the sure foundation (WESTMINSTER ABBEY)
    Kyrie, Gloria: Palestrina, Missa “Iste confessor”
    Offertory: Only-begotten, Word of God eternal (ISTE CONFESSOR)
    Sanctus, Agnus: Palestrina, Missa “Iste confessor”
    Communion: Fauré “Ave verum” (OLW Treble Choir)
    My God, thy table now is spread (ROCKINGHAM)
    Recessional: Now thank we all our God (NUN DANKET)
    Postlude: Near “Nun danket alle Gott”
  • I wish that I could have made the trip. The weather did not help and my finances were also shot. I wish that the archdiocese would have broadcast it online. Why didn't EWTN do this? They broadcast everything else. This is surely a milestone in the life of the Church.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I second benedictgal's wish that something as monumental as this should be broadcast.
  • I have just returned from singing in the choir for this most wondrous event. It is something that, as an Anglican, I have prayed for at least since my teens. My prayers had always been for a total re-union between Canterbury and Rome. As Canterbury seems intent on going its own more-and-more-separate way, this will certainly more than suffice as the answer to the prayers of countless Anglo-Catholics.
    Gratitude is expressed yet again to Holy Father John Paul II. for beginning this with the Pastoral Provision of 1982, and Holy Father Benedict for its logical conclusion with Anglicanorum Coetibus. Also, thanks and yet another Te Deum be to God, the author of every good and perfect gift.
    There were two cardinal-archbishops and quite a few bishops in choir.
    The music (listed at top above) was like a charismatic gift from heaven.
    I wish that all of you could have been present; but thanks for your prayers and good will.

(One gentleman approached me afterwards, while I had yet to unvest, and said the music was wonderfully beautiful and 'now I have to go back to cumbaya'. He sounded genuinely sorrowful. I believe that's a creole song?)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen benedictgal
  • I too am very disappointed that EWTN did not broadcast this extremely important event! I looked for it earnestly but to no avaiil. Maybe it was recorded and will be available for broadcast at a soon to be later date and time.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal