Music Selection Suggestions
  • BenBen
    An opportunity has opened up for me, and I might be singing for a catholic family camp over the summer, which has previously had p/w style music, but to be honest, it was due to lack of time and energy on the staff's part (they handed off music to a different family attending the camp every year, and they did the music). Other than that, they have very reverent liturgies, and with my proposal making it easier for them, the possibility of bringing back sacred music is getting very real, assuming others in charge approve (which I'm hopeful they will).

So a few practical questions, keeping in mind the congregation is 300 people, all of them being large families from around the country. Fairly conservative group, but many or most still attending Mass at your "average parish." There will probably be no accompaniment, but if there is any, it will be on an electric keyboard hooked to the sound system. That's the only option.

-Lengthy communion: Communion probably takes 10 minutes, even with several priests, and a few EMHCs. After the communion chant, I was thinking maybe a little silence, then finishing off with another chant as mentioned at the end of in GIRM no. 86 (a few on my radar right now are Adoremus in aternum, Adóro te devóte, Anima Christi, Jesu, dúlcis memória, Ave verum Córpus, Panis angélicus, all chanted, and I think they're all in PBC). Thoughts on this idea?

-Recessional: I'll be rooting for Salve Regina, but what would be the best response if that doesn't cover the whole recessional? It's somewhat lengthy with 5 priests, 20 servers, and a long-ish route. Maybe the marian antiphon, then a hymn?

-Gloria: It'll only be used once, so I'm hesitant to use the ICEL gloria, but I'm leaning towards it nonetheless. I guess the real question is: do you know of any dignified glorias in chant style that people can literally pick up the first time they've heard it, without music in their hands, and possibly without the text? I'm not sure the ICEL gloria fits that need, as easy as it is. This one is really leaving me thinking... Anyone know if Lee's gloria was revised, or if there's a similar one our there today? I might even just use Lee's melodic formulas with the new gloria. Not sure yet. Comments? Suggestions? Help? Please?
  • BenBen
    Forgot to add a few details:

If all goes as planned, propers will be a combination of SEP and GR propers, or maybe only SEP. Using the GR introit is looking attractive, since like the recessional, the procession is quite long, and even longer some days. Then again, the SEP for that week in OT (OT 11) also has almost 20 verses in the psalm prescribed, which might be long enough.

Ordinary will be Jubilate Deo and/or the ICEL chants. Probably a mix of the two.
  • GavinGavin
    do you know of any dignified glorias in chant style that people can literally pick up the first time they've heard it, without music in their hands, and possibly without the text?

I guess that'd be a case for a refrain Gloria, eh? I recall Aristotle Esguerra has a refrained Gloria VIII somewhere.
  • Why not make up your own pamphlets? There are some resources that offer free downloads of the ICEL chants. Thus, you can have both the music and the text for the people.

What we did when we introduced the chants was to go over it with the faithful. You would be surprised how easily they can grasp on to something. Even though it may not sound "perfect", they will get it after a couple of quick reviews. Who knows? Maybe the faithful there might even know it already.
  • Ditto to Gavin, I mentioned this last year in a thread. It'd be a help if Ari or JT would post a pdf of Ari's version of the refrain de Angelis.
  • Mike R
    The Proulx Gloria Simplex from WLP has worked VERY well for us.

I also like the idea of doing the Marian antiphon, followed by a hymn. It can work especially well if things are choreographed with the priests and servers singing the antiphon as they leave the altar area, then standing in front of the altar until the antiphon is finished, with the hymn beginning as they turn to actually exit.
  • BenBen
    As much as I never thought I'd say this, I think a refrain gloria might be best here.

Here's the first thin that came to my mind:

Gloria VIII with refrains (score, GABC)

BG,
    As much as I'd love to make up my own pamphlets, it's really not an option for many reasons, logistical and otherwise. If I could, I would simply make my own in a heartbeat. But in short, pamphlets aren't an option, but I might be able to get the text on projector screens, but that's a big might.
  • Franco
    Yes, the Antiphonal Gloria by John Lee was revised for the new translation-- it's available from GIA.
  • GavinGavin
    Yes, that's the one! If Latin isn't an issue for your congregation (and it sounds like it isn't), that's precisely ideal!

I'd say with hymns, maybe stick to the most familiar - Holy God, Holy Holy Holy, etc. Something they can all sing and enjoy singing a capella. I think the Salve Regina may unfortunately not be well known enough, but you know your group better than I.

Perhaps to "cover" the procession out, you might wait in silence until the priest and ministers have bowed to the altar before beginning the chant or hymn. Having two songs just seems a bit... awkward to me.
  • BenBen
    @Gavin:

I'm really hoping I'll be able to use the latin gloria VIII, but if not, I'll probably use the Antiphonal Gloria. But to be honest, I'm not sure how well latin will be received. I'll just wait to see. It's a fairly conservative group, though, so it's hopeful, especially since it'll only be sung once throughout the whole week.

I'm thinking the salve regina probably won't be well known, I was thinking as a cantor/schola only piece.
  • ryandryand
    Ben,
    MusicaSacra hosts a book which includes English translations right beneath each line. You'll be amazed at how many complaints you do NOT receive.
  • BenBen
    That's the only problem... I don't have any way to have a program or handouts, otherwise, I'd be singing the gloria straight through, and my life would be 100x simpler here :)
  • I'm not going to say what I think of them, but ask a simple and honest question: I had heard or read that the 'refrain' style of Gloria had been forbidden. Is this correct or not correct?
  • If that restriction has been legislatively articulated in 20th century documents, I'm not aware of it. Were it so, wouldn't that effectively prohibit any settings of ordinary movements that employ ANY type of textual repetition, such as classical Masses?
    Off topic, MJO, congratulations on the upcoming workshop w/ Fr. Kelly.
  • Ben, I am going to email you a copy of the downloadable ICEL chants. The sheet includes the rest of the revised Ordinary. If it is a question of help, I can probably run some of the copies for you.
  • Charles in CenCa - I would put textual repetition in a composed mass and 'refrain' Glorias in two very distant categories. Textual repetition and refrains are two very different things.
  • Claire H
    Ben, is the place/event you're referring to Catholic Familyland in Ohio?