Question about the new GIRM translation
  • Hi all. I've been reading a lot of articles and discussions about the new translation of the GIRM, specifically the instructions regarding music, more specifically the translation of the word 'cantus'. Up until now I was reading the English and saying, "Okay, they want either the propers or another chant; I can do that." But a friend of mine who's studying to be a canon lawyer said that the actual legal document is the Latin, not the English translation, so since the Latin word 'cantus' can be translated as 'song' as well as 'chant', people could still sing any song they want under option 4 and get away with it. Leaving aside for now the question of whether the English word 'chant' can mean something other than Gregorian chant, is any or all of that regarding the Latin GIRM being the "real" one, as it were, true? Because I've been telling people left and right about the new translation and how it calls for chants, so I want to know what ground I'm standing on here.

He also mentioned a document from the USCCB issued in 2007 called "Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship" which states that "...congregational hymns of a particular nation or group that have been judged appropriate by the competent authorities mentioned in the GIRM, nos. 48, 74, and 87, may be admitted to the Sacred Liturgy. Church legislation today permits as an option the use of vernacular hymns at the Entrance, Preparation of the Gifts, Communion, and Recessional." So what's the deal with this?

I VERY much appreciate any enlightenment or help that anyone can give on either of the above documents.
  • Sing to the Lord does not bear the recognitio of the Holy See. It is only binding when it cites authoritative documents like the GIRM, the Constitution on Sacred Liturgy and the other documents issued by the Holy See. Bear in mind, too, that Sing to the Lord was working under the a GIRM whose translation was provisional. What is in the Third Typical Edition of the Roman Missal supplants the previous edition.
  • chonakchonak
    The English translation of the GIRM with its adaptations for the US is "particular law" for this country, so your friend may need to take that into account.
  • Chonak is right. Furthermore, in the "stand alone" edition of the GIRM (for lack of a better word) that the USCCB published, the Secretariat noted that the previous translation was provisional. What we have now (2011 edition) is the law of the land for the United States.
  • dad29
    Church legislation today permits as an option the use of vernacular hymns at the Entrance, Preparation of the Gifts, Communion, and Recessional."

That is true. However, your canonist-pal should know that the order of preference places hymns dead-last. There's a reason for that, having mostly to do with the competence of musicians (or) the parish's abilities.

There is no excuse whatsoever for ignoring the order of preference.