Rossini Propers Ash Wednesday
  • rogue63
    Unless I'm missing it, the Rossini Propers appear to have none of the propers for Ash Wednesday, only the antiphons for the imposition of ashes. I have only the PDF file, and I can't seem to find them. Am I looking in the wrong place? Page numbers? This is for a compilation/comparison of propers for students.
  • The index has a page for Masses without a fixed date, incl. Ash Wednesday; the propers you want are on pg. 78.
  • rogue63
    Thanks!
  • Looking at the Ash Wednesday chants, I noticed a couple of discrepancies between Rossini and the Liber/Gradual. Does anyone here know about this? Rossini says in his preface that in cases of discrepancies between the Gradual and the Missal, he uses the Gradual. However, in a couple of cases he seems to have actually used the Missal.

From Ash Wednesday, in the 2nd chant during imposition of ashes (differences bolded),
    The Liber has: Juxta vestibulum et altare plorabunt sacerdotes et levitae ministri Domini, et dicent: Parce Domine, parce populo tuo: et ne dissipes ora clamantium ad te, Domine.

My hand missal has: Inter vestibulum et altare plorabunt sacerdotes ministri Domini, et dicent: Parce, Domine, parce populo tuo, et ne claudas ora canentium te Domine.

In the tract for Quinquagesima, the Liber has Jubilate Domino, but the Missal and Rossini have Jubilate Deo.

Are these just slight slip-ups--perhaps resulting from to the time pressures of publishing--or is something else going on?
  • By the way, I'm looking at the texts closely because I'm trying to set the chants to Introit psalm tones using the same mode as the original chant. While I can see the practicality of using psalm tones, it seems preferable to use the original mode.

I suspect there's something lost with Rossini's procedure of setting batches of chants in a single mode. For example, for Lenten Sundays, the Introits and Communions are all mode 5, the graduals and tracts are all mode 7, Offertories are all mode 4.

I'd like to think there was something more going on in the choice of the various modes in the Liber chants. I'd like to retain the sound of the mode even if we can't always sing the full chant from the Gradual.
  • tomjaw
    David
    Much has been written on the differences between the Missale Romanum / Graduale Romanum. The important thing is to be using an approved book!

The text for the Missale Romanum can be found here;
    http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerusonline/en/index.htm
    I have always used the 1957 text which only has a few errors (the diphong is sometimes lost) Hand Missals can contain lots of errors, The St. Andrew Daily Missal is a good (bad) example.

Rossini may have intended to use the Gradual but ended up using the Missale. It is easy to make mistakes.

For Psalm tones, of parts of the Gradual have you seen this;

http://musicasacra.com/pdf/chantsabreges.pdf