Chant Textbook Review
  • Hello,
    Has anyone encountered or read 'Chant Made Simple' by Robert M. Fowells? Can anyone advise me as to whether or not this is worth purchasing. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chant-Made-Simple-Robert-Fowells/dp/1557255296/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1211981670&sr=8-21 )

Many thanks for the tip about the late Dr Berry's book 'Plainchant for Everyone'.

Eamon
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Eamon, this is a good guide to reading St. Gall, but he seems to be under the impression that a beginning schola should actually sing from St. Gall. Actually he goes further. He believes that singers should not have any music and instead should learn everything by rote under the iron hand of a master director. What's more, he is against counting and opposes anything like normal musical rhythm.

I can't even imagine what a schola would sound like under these conditions.

In any case, the whole project is rather dubious on the face of it: chant made simple in which lesson #1 is St. Gall from the Triplex???? I can't understand what the publisher was thinking in giving this book that title.

That aside, there are some good interpretative remarks here concerning specific chants and, as I say, he provides a rough and ready overview of early neumes - not that a parish schola ever needs to know about these.
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    I find Robert Fowells book really quite wonderful and very approachable. Mary Berry always presented in workshops to beginners the St Gall notation and how it was most likely a representation of the hand movements of the directors, also as a way to see how the square note notation developed from it. Later on, she would show the subtle rhythmic shadings of St Gall and then Laon. I often recommend the Fowells book for anyone wanting a very simple introduction to the study of semiology. By the way, my parish schola(in an EF parish) of 20 cantors all use the Triplex and read St Gall and Laon, not to mention my school choir of 14-18 year olds, so it really is not that hard. Counting notes in groups of two and three is not necessary for a smooth and beautiful rendition of the Chant, one only need hear the Dominicans and Cistercians sing their chant. No ictus, no Solesmes rhythmic markings, just free and unencumbered, and of course they've kept that tradition from the middle ages. The idea that anyone not following the old method and "counting" cannot produce a beautiful result is simply not true. Jeffrey, if you would like to hear a schola not "counting" and with an eye on the semiology, short of coming to Sacramento to hear my choir , get your hands on some of Dr Berry's recordings directing the Community of Jesus, available through Paraclete Press.
    What about this view that singers should just repeat what the chant master does? That they should learn by listening only?
    Learning by rote is of course how the Chant was taught for the first eight centuries or so, boys were brought in and made to memorize all 150 psalms, then learning the chants of the Graduale and Antiphonale by heart. With the development of the staff and Guido d'Arezzo's "hand" and solfege, the number of years it took to learn the repertoire was reduced from 10 years to only 2. Often times chant masters in bringing the chant to neophytes will have them learn by heart a simple chant, like the Kyrie from Mass XI, but of course one must go on to introduce solfege and sight-singing, teaching the propers by listening only would be rather difficult and time consuming. However, singing by rote is usually how a congregation learns to sing the ordinary of the Mass, and of course these chants are simpler, and easier to learn by rote.
    Yes, that's true. But I can recall all-to-well singing with a large schola that prided itself on singing all the propers every week at the EF. One day the director had to be away. Not a single member of the schola could render even the simplest chant. It turns out--and I was not aware of this for years--that no one was actually singing the music. Someone could have come along and changed all the notes and rhythms in their Libers and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. They had become masters of mimicking the directors sounds, a fraction of second late. It was like the kid's game of saying what another person is saying an instant later. To me this was just tragic. The director had taken a short cut early on and look what happened. No investment was made in these people's educations. Of course they didn't really sing together because they weren't actually singing so much as mimicking sounds.

I can understand the grave temptation on the part of directors to do this, dominating the sound with their leadership and sound and dragging everyone else along. It takes conscious effort to avoid this pitfall and it requires making a big investment in the singer's own personal capacity for producing a good sound.

Jeffrey, I have no doubt of your mastery and I long for the day when all your students are turned out into the world to populate Catholic parishes as music directors. Every report is that you have set up a model and ideal at your parish, and you deserve every bit of congratulations for your work. And I would certainly defer to your mastery and experience as compared with mine, which is minimal by comparison. At the same time, I wonder if you see the danger associated with the method of pedagogy that discourages reading and independent production of music (and I'm not suggesting that is your approach) in favor of rote listening and reproduction?

By the way, I see this as a problem of old fashioned Suzuki violin too, and this is one reason that it isn't used much anymore. There are good things about ear training but there surely must be more to it than that.
  • Jan
    Perhaps my comments might be considered inappropriate since I have not read Mr. Fowell's book. However I have studies (albeit briefly)
    a little St. Gall and Laon when I took Fr. A. Ruff's course at St. John's Abbey a few years ago. I did fine semiology to be intellectually
    interesting but as of yet impractical in the 'clinical' setting of rehearsals for Sunday Mass. The suggestion that the St. Gall/Laon notation
    represents a 'shorthand' script for hand movements in choral conducting may work for some. But for our everyday use, I find the
    Triplex pages too busy and actually a distraction from the Solesmes notation which has it's own internal rhythms (i.e: specific neum structures and groupings with their own internal suggested rhythms and the natural flow of the music) which, with one's own musical experience and without use of the ictus, organically reveals it's own natural dynamics, structure and melodic flow.

Also many persons I have worked with who have not grown up with solfege, find it to be a bit of a 'tongue twister' (and perhaps too academic). They find the simple number system much easier and quicker to pick up. With the number (interval) system, they learn to
    read chant notation and find it much easier than traditional western notation.
  • Jan
    Just a little clarification. Fr. Ruff did not suggest St. Gall/Laon natation be used specifically as a conducting tool. My comment was in
    reference to a previous discussion.

Note to Jeff Morse: I look forward to meeting you sometime. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about you! Will you attend the CMAA
    Colloquium this June?

Janice Clark, Music Director

Schola cantorum of St. Anselm
    St. Anselm Church
    Ross, California

Music Program for the EF Mass
    Chapel of the Holy Rosary
    St. Vincent School for Boys
    Marinwood, California
  • mjballoumjballou
    I haven't seen the second edition, only the first. The new one does come with a CD, so it may be less daunting to the neophyte. It is good for people to see what the staffless notation looked like because many think that the Solesmes editions dropped straight from Heaven. While I learned a great deal about semiology from Fr. Lawrence Heimann at St. Joseph's, my experience is that untrained singers aren't ready to plunge off into those direction. I guess I'll have to travel to Sacramento to see what Jeff Morse is doing.
  • gregpgregp
    Road trip!
    Jeffrey, yes of course, learning chant by just following the director doesn't work for a schola, one must be continually working on solfege and sight singing as far as this is possible, giving singers a solid foundation. I am not in any way an advocate for scholas learning by rote, your example of the choir not being able to sing when the director was gone is a good case in point. One of the biggest joys in my musical life came when after three years at this parish I took my first vacation and the schola and choir hardly missed me, and the parishioners didn't know I was gone! By the way, I have the same problem with Suzuki...

Jan, I look forward to meeting you too. Unfortunately I will not be attending the Colloquium, but as we are not so far from each other we should try to meet one of these days. In regards the Triplex, Dr Berry would teach here students to look at all three notations at the same time. She would explain that an orchestra conductor does no less and actually quite a bit more. Here at St Stephen's we average about three to four High Masses a week so cantors both at the school and the parish get a lot of practice singing the Chant(we sing everything including graduals and alleluias from the graduale and psalmtone nothing) and this is most important for teaching the Chant, sing it as much as you can, mastery of the Chant comes with time, one shouldn't look for quick results. The director of course must do his or her homework and be prepared, as Mary Berry often reminded her students, "one cannot give, what one does not possess".
  • incantuincantu
    My volunteer choir is not made up of amateur musicians, but mostly non-musicians. I find they sing with more expression when learning something by rote than my professional choir can when reading from notation. Untrained singers even seem to memorize "timing" instead of rhythm, so that if the tempo is changed it's like a new piece. Some even memorize pitches, so if a different starting pitch is given they don't recognize the sound. I think teaching by rote can be a very valuable tool for getting a nuanced performance, provided the director really is a master singer himself.

This goes for music in modern notation as well. I swear some singers think that a composer writes down music first and then says "Now let's find out what this sounds like" rather than hearing the music first and then trying to communicate it in a written form. I spend more time trying to explain that just because you see five eighth notes in a row doesn't mean they are all going to have the same rhythm, or that just because a composer didn't write a hairpin mark doesn't mean there is to be no change in dynamic during a phrase.

So while rote learning can be helpful, one doesn't want a choir just to mimic. I sometimes like to give my choir two or three recordings of the same piece to listen to, so they can hear what they have in common (in most cases, what's on the page) and how they are different (interpretation).
    Rhythm is a major, major reason it is essential to learn to read music. I recall that I had a member of the choir who was good on pitch but oddly inflexible with tempo changes. I finally realized--and it took me a month or so to figure this out--that she wasn't actually counting at all. She was somehow memorizing the lapse of time that took place between the end of her last note and the beginning of her next note. She could get it right so long as I did precisely the same thing each time. So all my talk of "now, remember to come in precisely on beat four" was for naught. She didn't know beat 4 from beat 3 and, in fact, didn't know the beat at all! After this, I started making a conscious effort to work on rhythm counting, and IMHO it is as true for chant as for polyphony. Knowing where those 3s are makes a world of difference.

This is a very interesting discussion by the way.
    Knowing the difference between a quarter note and a half note, for example, and knowing how to count is really very basic and after being able to match pitch, I require this basic knowledge of the singers in my choirs. The choristers are different of course (they come in at 7 or 8 years old), I take care of teaching them chant notation and modern notation (the last with the help of the Royal School of Church Music's chorister training program). When the choristers are learning polyphony with tricky rhythms I have them count, clap and sing these rhythms, often all at the same time! The chorister audition therefore, focuses on the ability to match pitch and to read words, they are also strongly encouraged to take piano or another instrument at the same time. So yes Jeffrey, I would heartily agree about the necessity of a knowledge of rhythm in modern notation for choir members, at least a basic knowledge.
  • Having been away, and just looked back today, I'm really grateful for the insight and advice this discussion has brought, thanks so much.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Now, the Chant Made Simple states that Dr. Robert Fowells founded the "Los Angeles Gregorian Schola at California State University, Los Angeles". Does anyone know ANYTHING about this group? I did a couple of simple searches, to little avail. I will keep searching and post any information, but I was hoping one of our forum members might know more.
  • chonakchonak
    Dr. Fowells has taught chant workshops for years; I believe he taught part of an NPM program I attended -- though I did not attend his class. Also he has led study weeks at Solesmes.

But I don't know about the schola you mentioned.
  • It is very exciting to hear about your program, Jeffrey M.! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope to share similar success stories after a few years of rigorous building at my current parish.

In regard to the Triplex--As a director, I use it exclusively but have to say that I do not expect to singers to necessarily sing from it. I have them use the Gregorian Missal, although they take notes in it, adding some of the rhythmic and expressive nuance that I pull from the Triplex. I also require all of the musicianship that is required to read the notation and accurately sing the pitches--I wouldn't endorse singing from just St. Gall notation. I have to say, though, that I could see why it would be tempting to do so. When talking to any musical performer they will almost always tell you that you will have a better command of the music when the music is memorized--especially when the music is complex. My fear in exclusively using St. Gall and rote learning, though, resonates with Jeffrey T's experience described above. There's an element of "catching a man a fish" and "teaching a man to fish" here and I would rather build a program that can go on without me than one that is useless if I am not present. I will say, though, that notation like this engraving at Gregor und Taube would be very useful to me and I would teach any and every singer to sing from editions like this in a heartbeat! The St. Gall notation corresponds perfectly to the square note notation and a singer could sing from the St. Gall if they know the melody by rote, or from the diastematic notation if they do not, or both if they are able. What a joy it would be to me if we had a complete Graduale typeset in this fashion!
  • Jean Claire, a student of Cardine's, who served as choirmaster at Solesmes for thirty years, asserted that the Triplex had never been intended for use as a performance edition. It was intended to be used as Adam Bartlett uses it.

Claire wrote: “The very configuration of the Graduale Triplex, with its two neumatic versions above and below the staff, has the secondary effect, not desired but all too real, of practically obscuring the line of text and of obscuring the melodic line of the square notes”― “Dom Eugène Cardine,” Études grégoriennes, XXIII: 23 (1989). My translation.

Furthermore, Cardine himself disdained attempts to incorporate ALL the nuances conveyed in the St. Gall and Laon neumes into a performance. He said that such attempts robbed the chant of fluency and led to "an unspeakable dryness."

Cardine taught that the difference between a syllabic beat and a diminished syllabic beat was equal to the difference between the length of a syllable consisting of a vowel plus a consonant and that of a syllable consisting of a vowel alone. He thought that greater danger lay in exaggerating this difference than in sometimes ignoring it. (Many "Cardinians" do not share his view.) Adam's approach allows the director to decide which indicators of nuance to heed and which to ignore.

If a choir has a great deal of rehearsal time, more nuance can be incorporated into its performances, and exaggeration can be curtailed. In my experience, where chant has been sung by professional choirs with very limited rehearsal time (60 minutes before each Sunday Mass) and must prepare other music in addition to the chant, attempts to include too much nuance invariably lead to exaggeration and mistakes.

I'm not an apologist for the old Solesmes Method, and I think that the "immaterial ictus" is a product of Mocquereau's imagination. Nevertheless, we cannot pronounce more than two syllables or sing more than two notes without placing an accent on one of them. We want all the singers in a choir to accentuate every word the same way. LIkewise, we want them all to stress the same notes in a melisma. Counting often helps them to do so and is not necessarily incompatible with semiology. It does not imply an absolute equality of beats in chant any more than it does in romantic piano music. Of course, if counting is to be intuitive, "ictus" and stress must coincide--as they do not in Mocquereau's system.
    Bruce, have you looked through Dom Gajard's essay on Mocq and the old Solesmes method? He says something very similar to what you say here.
  • miacoyne
    May I add that I found Solemes' 'undulating thesis ' is beautiful?
  • Jeffrey T.-- Can you provide a link for the Gajard essay? I'm not sure if I've read it but would like to.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think Jeffrey refers to this one
  • Jeffrey Tucker: Were you referring to the essay Jeff Ostrowski had in mind? If so, can you point to the section you had in mind. I read through it and could not figure out where he might have been saying what I said.

We are not going to resolve a one-hundred-year-old dispute here; but I cannot forbear to make the following points

He asserts that when an accented syllable is set to a single note and the following un-accented syllable is set to a multi-note neume, the multi-note neume “draws” the rhythmic impulse to its first note. He offers no evidence in support of this assertion.

He derides as “labour-saving formulas” the systems of those who define rhythm as “a matter of intensity ... [that] consists in the alternation of strong and weak sounds...”

To support his stand he proposes that “ we give to each [note in a group of eight] an equal stress but arrange them by duration, doubling the length of every other note. “Once again,” he writes, “ the sounds fall into groups of two; no longer by means of intensity but of duration. The grouping is equally real, but is formed in another manner.”

He ignores the fact that the human voice cannot give an equal stress to each of the eight notes in the group. We can render them as:

SHORT long SHORT long SHORT long SHORT LONG

or as

short LONG short LONG short LONG short LONG

and, possibly, in other ways; but we cannot sing more than two notes without placing some degree of stress on one of them, and it cannot sing more than three notes without placing some degree of stress on two of them.

He asserts that classical Latin had a pitch accent. Some linguists agree with him. Others disagree. But linguists are united in saying that by the fourth century A.D. Latin had lost its pitch accent--if it ever had one--and had acquired a stress accent.

He refers to the quantitative meter of classical Latin poetry. Medieval Latin poetry (e.g., the hymns of Ambrose) was not based upon quantitative meter but upon accentual meter. And medieval Latin prose rhythm was certainly based upon accents.

He scans a passage from one of G.F. Handel's compositions according to the Solesmes Method, thereby proving that it is possible to do so; but he prompts me to ask, "to what advantage..."

It is POSSIBLE to scan chant according to his rules; but once again, I raise the question, "What is the advantage of adopting such a counter-intuitive system of rhythmic analysis?"