New to liturgical composition: what are the USCCB rules?
  • JNS
    Hi, All:

What are the rules for writing music for use at Mass? I searched the internet for a handy introduction, but couldn't find it. I understand that using ICEL translations involves copyright issues, and it seems that chants for Mass -- whether for the ordinary or the propers -- require some sort of approval process (or do they?). But I don't get all the details.

Let's say all I wanted was to set one of the Church's antiphons (say, an English translation of the antiphon in the gradual -- or even, though perhaps this is more controversial, the antiphon in the English Missal adapted for recitation) to music for use in a small daily Mass. Am I free to compose something and use it the next day, so to speak, or would I have to send it somewhere for official approval? Or, which kinds of chants would have I have to have approved, and which not?

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.
  • chonakchonak
    ICEL's copyright policies are spelled out on their web site. To start with, works that are not sold are not subject to royalties. There is a standard copyright notice you should include with the piece. Check the site for details.
  • JNS
    chonak,

Thank you. What about USCCB regulations? I'm talking about what the GIRM says:

(3) a chant from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, *approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop*, including Psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) another liturgical chant that is suited to the sacred action, the day, or the time of year, *similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop.*

What does this "approval" mean as far as composing a new chant setting -- ICEL text or not?

Also, just for the sake of completeness, let's say -- though this wouldn't be the case for me -- that even the text itself were newly composed. What would the approval process be there?

I understand the ICEL copyright issues now, but what about the USCCB "approval" process? What does that mean. Again, I'm not producing a book, just playing with the idea of adapting some of the gradual chants into English for a local daily Mass.
  • Is this the document you're looking for?
  • It is also worth noting that the USCCB office of the Secretariat has stated (June 25, 2008) that the guidelines do not apply to chant or polyphony:

Since the Church documents speak of the nobility of chant and the rich musical heritage of polyphony for the liturgy, those musical forms are by nature "approved" for liturgical use.
  • Is there some context to that quote? I mean, Pierrot Lunaire is a polyphonic composition.
  • JNS
    Mr. Ford,

Thank you for the helpful document. As I understand it, then, setting the propers to music does not require any official approval for liturgical use? And neither does writing hymns and so on?

Would setting the antiphons printed in the Missal change things -- either regarding the need to contact the USCCB, or just ICEL directly -- seeing as they are (I believe) now official ICEL translations? Or would one simply need to print a copyright notice and not charge for them in any way?

Regarding the order of Mass (which seems to mean Kyrie, Gloria, etc., as well as "The Lord be with you" and Our Father, etc.), is USCCB approval required for both Latin and English texts, or just the English?

Also, the document from Mr. Ford seems to speak only about approval from the USCCB -- would getting the music (including the ICEL order of Mass) approved by your local bishop do the trick as well, or does it need to be the USCCB Secretariat, as it seems to say (I'm guessing because of the ICEL involvement)?

And, for that matter, "no official approval" needed for hymns and antiphons includes one's local bishop -- one needs no approval from any living being, in other words (aside from the Priest-celebrant, God, the choir, etc.)?

My apologies for the barrage of specific questions! I really want to understand this process well for the future . . .

Thanks for all the help so far! This has been great.
  • francis
    Paul:

How binding is that document from the BCL?
  • The Secretariat rarely approves anything. E.g. a few months ago, I sent him a version of the Easter Sequence I had composed and he told me there was absolutely no need for his approval on that piece.

See this link for more info:

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5362&page=1#Item_13
  • JNS
    Thanks for the wealth of information on the posts you linked to. I didn't have time to wade through every word tonight, but skimming through, I didn't find anything about whether you need ICEL permission for the new (I believe, official) translations of the antiphons in the Missal.

Any thoughts on that one?
  • JNS
    On second thought, and second look at the ICEL policies linked in the first kind response to my initial question, it seems that all you need is an acknowledgement on any printed music (unless you are producing something for sale and such). It now strikes me as absurd that ICEL could even handle all the requests any other policy would generate, and that you, of course, don't ask permission to recite the antiphons -- why would you need permission to sing them?