sharing MIDI files of choral music
  • I have created a large number MIDI files of our choir's current repertoire to assist the singers in learning their parts. Is there any way for me to share these files (gratis) with other interested singers over the Internet without violating copyright laws? Most of the 80 pieces I've done so far are newer works therefore they are not in the public domain.

Thank you and God Bless,

Tom Young
  • chonakchonak
    There are a few websites of MIDI files for choral practice: "The Silvis Woodshed", "cyberbass", etc. They do include works that are under current copyright, so I suppose there's no problem with publishing the MIDI files.

For classical choral repertoire, you might offer your files to them, or of course set up your own site.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, I would tread very carefully on this issue, particularly with regard to publishing on the internet performances of copyright works (especially if these there is a music publisher holding the copyright).
  • Does anyone know whether the legal disclaimer written on the homepage of "The Silvis Woodshed" provides the necessary legal protection to share a MIDI file? On a related note, suppose I burn these MIDI files onto a CD and give them to choir members for free. Would that be considered copyright infringement?
  • I would suspect there's a difference between putting up recordings of single lines of a choral composition (which are not "the piece" and don't compete with real recordings) and a recording of the whole thing. And are you talking about actual MIDI files, or mp3s generated from MIDI? You're on shakier ground with MIDIs because the piece would be fairly easily reconstituted from the MIDI files. With recordings, if the work has been recorded before(and if these works are known at all, assume it has been), the copyright holder grants a compulsory mechanical license through the Harry Fox Agency. I don't know how HFA handles recordings that are "born digital" and are not being sold, or digitizations of recordings for which the HFA was paid for the physical form. I suspect you'd have no problem, and if you did, the worst you'd encounter would be a "cease and desist" letter. But you need to be aware of the copyright issues. I think the MIDIs would be covered under fair use, but I'm not a copyright lawyer.
  • Thanks to all for your comments. I allowed my creative side to come forward when I made these MIDI files, because my goal was to make them as sound as "musical" as possible. I including the accompaniment whenever possible and tried to avoid using the cheesy-sounding instruments available on the General MIDI panel. Although these files sound pretty good, this has probably been my undoing with regard to sharing them on the Internet.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, rather than rely on our speculations, why not check with the operators of the MIDI web sites to find out what their experience has been?