O nata lux
  • aldrich
    Does anyone have a copy of Lauridsen's O nata lux?
  • Believe it or not - it's avaliable on CPDL. It was posted by someone in another country (possibly third world) with little regard for copyright.

It's of course not legal or ethical to print it and USE it ... but my scruples aren't offended by using it to study and perhaps decide if it's feasible to do with your choir before ordering legal copies.
  • Can you link to this?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CPDL does not have any of Morten Lauridsen's works - in particular, it does not have either the "O magnum mysterium" or the "O nata lux" of Lauridsen. I'm afraid PGA is misinformed. If he can provide a link to a CPDL hosted edtion, I will personally take it down (I am the president of CPDL and the manager of its ChoralWiki website). CPDL has a strict policy against making available works that are copyright restricted.
  • I cannot provide a link; I stumbled across it when looking for a public domain motet, which was found on another page; when I went to that page, it had some other things on it, among them the Lauridsen works. I tried looking and couldn't find it now.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    CPDL has text pages such as that for O magnum mysterium that attempt to index as many settings as possible. Please note some links are in blue (available on CPDL), some red (likely to be available in the future) and some in black (unlikely in near future or copyrighted). O nata lux however uses a (deprecated because un-annotatable) template that only lists CPDL editions. I doubt you could have seen Lauridsen there...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    After some searching, I can assure people that CPDL has never hosted any of Lauridsen's works nor listed them as externally hosted editions.

I'm guessing that PGA stumbled across a completely different non-USA site that has some public domain works listed at CPDL (as externally hosted works) and also has non-public domain works (which CPDL will not list or host).

People in the USA who download works from non-USA websites that are copyright restricted in the USA are do so at their own (potentially quite considerable) risk. This is aside from any moral and ethical issues in this matter.

Really, it doesn't cost that much to purchase a single copy of Lauridsen's "O nata lux" or his "O magnum mysterium".
  • Like I said, it was some page that was referenced by someone as having a public domain motet on it, that also had some copyrighted works on it. CPDL never linked it as a Lauridsen piece; it was linked as a Palestrina (or someone like that) piece. Once there, a DIFFERENT SITE, there were other things as well.