Does anyone recognise these pieces???
  • I am looking for the names of two pieces of music, from a youtube video I found online.
    The pieces are really beautiful, but I cant find any information on the net regarding the settings, or even the
    name of the first piece. The first is when the ordinands are walking in... it goes something like....

et exultavit Dominum, Legavit in dominum, legavit in dominum, et exulta....et exulta... etc....

do you recognise it...??? know the name, and setting...I want to get my hands on it.

The second piece during the consecration of the hands, is Tu es sacerdos in Eternum....but what composer and
    setting....again....do you recognise it...

here is the link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNqGgdwmyM

Ive checked the film, and It says the pieces were sung by the Monks of the abbey of Casamari in Italy.
    Could anyone help me to find names, or a recording of the entirity of these pieces or even sheet music,

Id be very grateful of the help of anyone!
  • Tricky. Style is early-to-mid-20th century, possibly Italian?. By 1963, those works would have been out of copyright, but one can't dismiss the possibility that they were written for the film. (Copyright is one reason why you don't hear a lot of current Catholic music in films.) The score was by Jerome Moross, who did quite a bit of work for movies but was not overall a particularly prolific composer, so borrowing seems more likely. I'm not finding anything on the Net, but I'll check on Monday when I come to work..we have a few books and journals, and I can ask Dr. Daniel Goldmark, who knows a fair bit about film music. Unless I come across a detailed analysis of the score, though, I'm not likely to find out. Maybe somebody more keyed into that repertoire will recognize it.

The Moross papers are at Columbia University, if you want to know badly enough.
  • Protasius
    The Tu es Sacerdos reminds me of this setting in the Catholic Organists Handbook by Aloys Desmet. It is to be found somewhere in a thread of this forum anyway, so I didn't hesitate to attach it.
  • I ran it by Dr. Goldmark, who was kind enough to look into it, but came up to a dead end. There are some cue sheets available various places, but apparently not Columbia's. The cue sheet would list the composer of the music appearing at each timepoint in the film, for the purposes of licensing. If it said "Moross" at that point, we would know that the cue was written for the movie, and there was probably not a performable piece there (because nobody is going to write unnecessary music for a film). If it said "Ravanello" or whoever, we'd know where to look.  So I guess it's up to the sharp eared musicologist intimately acquainted with 20th-c Latin church music.