Graduale Parvum
  • I now have a working copy of the Graduale Parvum on my computer. I have a sendable PDF, and a gigantic .doc file. Yes, I know that .doc is not a good format for typesetting but that's the way it is. I might be able to zip it up and send it.

Anyway, I need help in proofing this. I would rather have someone who can make the changes, not someone who will tell me what changes to make. For one thing, I'm not the ideal typesetter here.

For those of you who don't know, this is a Latin/English simplified Graduale modeled more or less on the Simplex. I has Introits, Graduales, Tract, and Communions.
    Thanked by 1John B
  • RobertRobert
    I have been wondering when we would see this. Glad to hear it is coming together. Wish I had time to assist.
  • IanWIanW
    Does this have any relationship with the late Professor Dobszay's Graduale Parvum project?
  • It is the same
  • IanWIanW
    Good. I wondered what had happened to it. I'm sorry that I lack the time to help with this work. I'm desperately trying to keep up with the needs of the parish and my day job!
  • Jeffrey:

Can you elaborate on what sort of typesetting you require? Is this text only or resetting of chant notation as well?

I have experience in both but I would need more information before I know whether I have sufficient time to commit to this project.
  • The chants are done and fixed. The Psalmody text is sort of unstable. I'm glad to share with you. Give me an email and I'll share the doc via dropbox
  • Protasius
    You could use a PDF plotter such as PDFcreator to overcome the oddities of MS Word in rearranging anything once you finally had it done.
  • Sorry that I'm not volunteering, but I am VERY excited to see this long-awaited project coming to fruition!
    Thanked by 1John B
  • John B
    Jeffrey,

I assume that someone took you up on this; if not, let me know. While I prefer Latin chant, I understand the pastoral reasons for accessible vernacular chant. Can't wait to see the Graduale Parvum; I did not know about it until Fr. Nichols' presentation at the Colloquium. I like what I heard.
  • L.F. from Winnipeg
    From the remarks I assume that the Graduale parvum is in use. We are in a need of the book. Where can we get it?
  • hartleymartin
    Indeed, I'd like to see it!
  • chonakchonak
    It's a project of the Newman Institute of Liturgical Music: scroll down for a description of the Graduale Parvum.
  • BenBen
    is this going to be published eventually?
  • francis
    I would love to have this too!
  • BenBen
    I mean as a physical book. I can stick the PDF on lulu, but I was wondering if there was something else on an actual print run somewhere before I do so...
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Ahhh, I haven't heard or seen a physical book yet. With all of us sacred music nerds clamoring for it, it must be forthcoming!
  • BenBen
    I just tried uploading it to Lulu, but it bawked about the lack of embedded fonts.

Anyone around here with the source file that could run off a lulu-acceptable PDF?
  • is this going to be published eventually?

Yes, but it needs quite a lot of work. Please be patient!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    By a lot of work, you mean: new text translations, new pointing, new Psalm verses, and the addition of offertories. In other words...the whole thing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Could it be open sourced? We have this github account and everything...
  • BenBen
    And neumes/gabc would bake it much more readable....
  • francis
    ben... do you have a cold?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe Ben has a code id hid dode?
  • BenBen
    No, I have a phone that I occasionally type on and a propensity to click submit before looking at my message once more. :-)
  • IanWIanW
    By a lot of work, you mean: new text translations, new pointing, new Psalm verses, and the addition of offertories. In other words...the whole thing.

You left out the cooperation and authorisation of the Liturgy Office of the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, Jeffrey. Obstruction and incompetence are the least of it, I'm afraid (ask me about it sometime).
  • Jamie
    Will the offertory chants be included in the final edition?? It's incredibly annoying seeing the whole book complied so well... but with no offertory chants.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    that's only the beginning of the problems