Midnight Mass at the Vatican 2011
  • Has anyone else picked up on the fact that the Papal Midnight Mass of Christmas will be preceded this year by the Office of Readings from the Liturgy of the Hours instead of the made-up preparatory service that was used in previous years? All in Latin (except the readings [Italian, English]) and the Te Deum to what looks like a simplified formulaic tone. I wonder if the chants for the Responsories were taken from the late Holger Peter Sandhofe's marvelous Nocturnale Romanum.

The return of Christmas Matins (albeit in the LOTH) to the Papal Liturgy. Reform of the Reform, anyone? Kudos to Msgr. Marini!
  • Mark P.
    The choir's singing the Gradual! Here's the link http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2011/20111224.pdf

I'd like to know what setting of Hodie Christus natus est the choir is singing during the Offertory. I'm guessing Palestrina, which is very beautiful.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Font seems to be some version of "Aster."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aster_(typeface)
  • Excellent! If only there were an end to the perceived need to create a lessons and carols service (which often means entertaining those who get to mass early enough to get a seat) before the Christmas night mass and simply use what the church already has and encourages.

I was wondering whether the Holy Father would be on hand for the Office of Readings. To the extent that Tu Es Petrus is being sung between OofR and mass, it makes me think that maybe he won't. Perhaps it will be the canons of the basilica?
  • BenBen
    Am I reading it right that the schola is singing the propers with the congregation? Nice...
  • RobertRobert
    I think that the music for the Responsories is taken from the Liber Hymnarius.

Having the schola sing the propers with the congregation is perhaps not so far fetched given the number of clergy and religious in attendance, who might know some chant. It's very gracious that the congregation is invited to join in the responsory, although I wonder how realistic this is.
  • Westminster Cathedral and now the Vatican joins them in Matins instead of silly carol singing of Little Drummer Boy...the music business would be all a'twitter if churches in the US had to pay royalties to sing on hearing music hearing this.....

Can Podunk Corners, USA be far behind? This is a reference to where I live, not a slam against anyone on this list!
  • Just had a crappy schola rehearsal in which people didn't know their parts ... and I'm losing my voice ... oh and the organ is now broken and needs emergency repair work tomorrow ... so ... forgive me if I'm cranky ...

But what, now the PRELUDE to a mass has to follow a specific formula? I don't want to do matins and I'm not doing some liturgical office. The prelude is OUTSIDE of mass and I'll do whatever I please - motets, carols, instrumental music.

Why is it such a wonderful and hallowed thing to do a liturgical office before the mass instead of a program of quality sacred music?
  • The Office of Readings is not a "prelude."

Here is Dom Gueranger's discussion of the tradition behind the practice:
    http://www.liturgialatina.org/lityear/christmas/25th_beforemid.htm

The General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours also recommends having the Office of Readings before the night mass of Christmas.

Moreover, our Holy Father barely a month ago asked the faithful to participate in the Liturgy of the Hours on a more regular basis.
  • THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN EDITED WITH SMILEY FACES AND BOLD EXPLANATORY COMMENTS I MEANT BUT FAILED TO INSERT.

The Introit/Entrance Hymn itself is a recent addition to the Mass since Mass came after the singing of the liturgical hour and everyone was already sitting/standing/kneeling there. (cool eh?)

Doing a program of sacred music is not liturgy. Is a program of music equal to a novena to the BVM? While not an official liturgy, it would seem to be more "churchly" and liturgical than a concert. So Matins would definitely be liturgical than a concert, for sure.

I understand the thinking that a concert has value, but when you sing Matins, you choose music for Matins....so Matins is singing Propers instead of hymns....and we already know how appropriate that is. My own personal view and enthusiasm is that if we do Matins we do not have to deal with all the sacred cows (smiling) of people showing up to sing their favorite songs and be in the choir just that night but not the rest of the year, the singing of A I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY TWO FRONT TEETH, drummer boy, i'm dreaming of...

There is something very, very comfortable about abandoning Carols for pre-ordained texts to be sung.

What are we singing before Mass? Asked as if posed to someone at the Vatican this year

Well:

Magnificat octavi toni Marenzio
    Feria O magnum mysterium Palestrina

Beats the heck (pun intended, charles ;<) out of the Little Drummer Boy.<br />
    Note to all: I have never, ever had the opportunity to sing really great music before Midnight Mass in a Catholic church. Possibly one great piece, but everything else has been what the choir pushers wanted to sing. I've even experienced beig told by the pastor that every other piece should be a carol for the congregation to sing and then being forced to ignore this by the people in the choir who ran the choir...and really good singers out the door.
  • I'm happy to be your whipping boy, Noel, if that's what you need to make it through the day.
    Hope you noticed we can do Marenzio as well, not that that mitigates whatever moves your universe.
    But whatever you need to know you're on the WAY, TRUTH and LIFE, Noel, and we all better catch up, works for me.
    Honestly.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Now, now-
    Uncle Noel, Uncle Charles... it's the Holidays!

More eggnog, less... whatever-that-was.
  • Charles, I apologize if my own personal agenda seems to portray me as being holier and thou and the only one who sees the light.

If I see a light, it is only darkly. I have opinions that are my own and are based on only what I know and have learned and as I age I understand more and more how little I know. I have created beginner's guides not to enlighten the uneducated who are beneath me, but for myself, to try and understand myself what chant is all about. There is no one beneath me, I am at the bottom of the heap.

The internet may ruin life as we know it until someone figures out how to make it work. Our written culture was once at the mercy of editors who oversaw almost every printed word, aside from advertising and we all know that no one trusts advertising. Since anyone can now appear in print and since there is almost NO way for an amateur writer to know exactly which words to write to convey emotion to the majority of readers, simple comments written in generosity and humor can be interpreted as vile, vicious attacks. Vicious attacks can be interpreted as funny...

You are one of the friendliest, most outgoing people in person and on the net, that I have known and your comments reflect that of a person (and once again, this is my totally uninformed opinion) who is on the fence, balancing your desire for improvement of music with a strong sense of responsibility to your congregation. Unlike humpty dumpty and his wall, you are not going to fall, humpty may have not a firm enough stand on that wall which resulted in his demise. It's a fence that doesn't drive people away, that does not offend people. It's a good fence. :)
  • Sounds like in the situations that you have been in, Matins is a good way to demand better music.

We are doing a prelude consisting of Victoria's "O Magnum Mysterium," Hassler's "Cantate Domino," Rutter's "What Sweeter Music," Corelli's "Christmas Concerto," as well as some other things, finishing with "Dominus Dixit" as the clock strikes 12.

No Matins for us.
  • don roy
    paix
    what a wonderful program. That would certainly put me in the christmas moodthat has so far completely eluded me this year. and your program far outpaces the crap im doing....
  • Kathy
    I'm going to wear red nail polish and dangelly earrings for Midnight Mass, because the choir really likes it when I dress up.

Charles?
  • don roy
    kathy
    youd be able to pull off that look waaaaaay better then charles...especially the dangly earring thing....

just sayen
  • BenBen
    Don Roy

HAHAHAHAHA!!
  • Kathy
    Thank you, Don.

I suspect Charles will pull off his own dapper look quite well, though.

Let's pray for one another. In dulci jubilo!!!
  • I thank everyone for their patience, or at least tolerance, as we work out the communication thing Noel validly raises.
    You cannot put "backstory," perspective and sub-text into every comment or even post that will suffice for all to glean something useful and positive. If presumption is a factor in comprehension, then I suspect I need to work upon presuming the best intention from all, and not get waylayed over either content or tone.
    The bounce over from a post I composed for the Cafe to this thread had too many atomic ricochets. So, I'm passed all that. Funny how good things can spring forth from unexpected sources. I provided music for a barber's funeral this morning, and prior to that did some googling of Matins, and learned quite a bit more. So much so, that those who've suggested the "why not Matins?" approach to the eleventh hour have spurred me to file that for next year; too late for a retrofit at tomorrow's "event."
    As far as nail polish and earrings, hmmm. Being an accomplished guitarist, I actually do have a glaze over my four right hand nails edified by some special light thing the manicurist uses to quicken the glaze stuff into the nails. However, it is clear. I do love it when the parochial school kidz ask me why they're polished though. And when they also inquire to some tattoos on my forearms, which I try to obscure wearing long-sleeve shirts.
    As a child of the sixties, both ears have a single piercing, done decades ago while watching "Night of the Living Dead," consuming greasy bbq ribs and difficult swallows of NightTrain and Thunderbird with a leather needle and an apple. But I gave up sporting studs or dangles as the years and pounds accumulated. I suppose I could let the hair grow one last time, get the leather vest, put the fat guy on his Harley and top it off with some pirate-like hoops or whatnot.
    My guys in our choir, we all wear Navy Sport Jackets, grey slacks, white shirts and seasonal colored ties, in this case towards red/green/silver/gold, and socks/dress shoes. No flipflops tho' it is California. I often will sport a vest as well. And if I'm really jaunty, a bow tie in honor of himself in Auburn.
    Almost happy "Hodie Christus natus est" day to all, and to all a buona noce.
    PS. for the record here and the other thread, at our mother parish of four, we do chant the entire Mass with one vicar and have done the entire ICEL English setting now twice since Advent. Brickbrick.
  • Kathy
    I'm putting a base coat on tonight, but will save the red polish till after the bilingual Mass (when I'm playing the guitar). I figure a coupla hours with nothing else to do, might as well paint my nails.

Also, who knew chignons were so easy?
  • I've never seen that Gospel Acclamation before. Forgive my ignorance. Where is it from?
  • There are some many hybrid liturgical eventsl like this and tenebrae, even small prayer services befroe a meeting, that can be given a correct form by the office.
    When ever I suggest this members of the committee give me blank stares, or think that I am referring to the TV comedy.
  • I decided to use the Papal Mass selections as the basis for what we did for Midnight Mass at my dad's parish. I chanted the SEP for the introit and used the ICEL settings. I used the Gospel Acclamation from Pope Benedict's Installation Mass.

It would have been great to have prayed the office. but. given the rainy weather we were having and the fact that we had a few latecomers. it was just not feasible. We did not sing beforehand.