La Nativité du Seigneur
  • Though it is a must-not-miss rehearsal night for many, if you have Thursday evening free and are within driving distance of St. Paul Church in Cambridge, I recommend John Robinson’s organ performance of Messiaen’s La Nativité du Seigneur at 7 p.m. The movements will be interspersed with the “O Antiphons,” with verses, sung by the men’s schola. There is no admission charge. (Since Robinson presented the same program last year, I am assuming this is to become an annual event.)

Though Messiaen of course will never be a big audience draw, La Nativité is nonetheless an excellent introduction to the composer and ends with his most popular concert piece, “Dieu parmi nous.”

I’ve known and studied with a number of wonderful organists and can attest that none play with greater ease and naturalness than Robinson. It’s been rather humbling to hear him toss off difficult postludes, week after week, that took me months to learn. I think you will be impressed as well.
  • chonakchonak
    Wish I could attend! I love Dieu parmi nous would like to hear it at St. Paul's.