Messe Royale de Henry du Mont
  • JDE
    While Maître du Mont's music is not strictly speaking Gregorian, it does fit within the Gregorian modes; hence my choice of category.

Does anyone on the forum use all or part of the Messe Royale by du Mont? A parishioner gave me a Paroissien Romain a few months ago that had belonged to her late sister, who was a cloistered nun in France. In planning for the coming liturgical seasons I stumbled across this piece among the Ordinaries. Since it appears in an approved book, I am making the assumption that it is OK to use in OF parishes.

Personally I find the melodies very appealing, and it seems to me the Kyrie in particular would be very suitable for Lent; so I am wondering if anyone else is using it, or has ever used or heard it "live" in church. I'm also looking at it for possible adaptation to the new translation; this works a lot better with the Gloria than it used to, especially since the former translation omitted so many words.
  • Mark P.
    I'm wondering why the "Messe Royale" wouldn't be okay to use. As I understand it, the simple melody to "Salve Regina" was composed by Henri Du Mont. In any case, I think the "Messe Royale" would be perfectly fine.
  • RobertRobert
    I love the Messe Royale; it's a worthy composition, much better than some other plainchant compositions from the same era.

It works best if you sing it with a touch of mensuralism rather than in strict equalist time, with a touch of syncopation. I would sing from this manuscript which I think is the earliest surviving one, and hold the square notes longer than the diamond notes.
  • Thanks for posting this. I plan to use some or all of it.
  • JDE
    Robert, thank you for posting this! Another rabbit-hole for me to wander down after shiny objects . . . .

Seriously, this is an amazing resource. If I make a modern notation arrangement with the new text, I will post it here for everyone.
  • JDE
    Robert, after I looked at that link I noticed there were also a bunch of sound files available, and imagine my surprise to hear this rendition of the Easter Alleluia, sung (in Latin) by an apparently Armenian-French men's schola from St-Jean des Matines.

VERY interesting.